Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I was just wondering people are doing to prepare for the Bronco Safari in Moab or just in general for this year? This is also kind of my introduction to FSB.com so bear with me.
I am running a basically stock, rust free, 91 EB 351, auto bko. I also have a 91 SA but is another thread.
The list to get it ready for this summer (especially for Moab) has been pretty extensive. After doing all of this I still have a basically stock Bronco but that will change slowly. I want it to be reliable first. I want to thank everyone that has posted on here...It has been the most informational site I could find for this rebuild. I am on somewhat of a budget and have done 100% of the work myself. Many thanks! :thumbup

I started in November and some of it is basic maintenance but I will add it anyway. Im kinda proud that I have been able to get so much done with the help of this site:
Completely rebuilt my motor. (comp cam, removed egr bumps in head, roller rockers, kept flat tappet system)
completely new cooling system (hoses, radiator, therm, heater core, resistor, fan, pump, etc)
Ignition upgrade. I think it was posted by Bigsix. (Accel coil, plugs wires, cap, rotor, timing, etc.)
New exhaust from cat back.
New Goodyear AT Authority tires. (31's)
Spartan Locker in rear.
CB installation.
Ripped all PO's wiring out of bko. They had wired everything you can think of into the bronco at one time or another. What a mess but it cleaned up pretty good.
Upgraded interior lights with LEDs and added a few more.
Replaced window motors.
Installed new front seats from a Toyota mini van.
New stereo and speakers.
Added power points, front and rear.
Finally pulled the mouse nest out of the heater box.
New running lights (LED).
Transmission cooler.
polished headlights (highly recommended! :)
All new braking system except for the hard lines.
Fire extinguisher installation.
Thule roof rack.
Drilled and tapped front diff.
Hi-Lift jack mount to tire carrier.
New windshield (I didn't do this one)

Now the fun stuff! Things I hope to get done before Moab:
AC...keep it or make an air compressor out of it.
Tranny service along with new remote filter.
4" suspension lift (should I?).
Roll bar (should I?).
winch bumper and winch.
Receiver hitch.
Debating manual hubs.
3G upgrade.

Recommendations?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the purpose of a front receiver? I figure I will have a winch and tow hooks..is there another use?

My GF is leaning towards getting the AC working also. :)

·
FSM Lifetime
680 Posts
I agree with OlRed. And definitely swap to manual hubs. But it looks like you've made a lot of progress already. Keep it up man and don't be afraid to start a build thread once you have the required posts :rockon

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with OlRed. And definitely swap to manual hubs. But it looks like you've made a lot of progress already. Keep it up man and don't be afraid to start a build thread once you have the required posts :rockon
I am thinking MMarker hubs based on price and reviews.
I have a feeling I will be done with the build by the time I get that many posts! It seems to be an awful high requirement but I am sure it has a reason. ;)

·
FSM Lifetime
680 Posts
I have the Mile Marker hubs on mine and like them. They look good, work fine, and are cheaper then the Warn hubs. And I think the posting requirement is 30 which you're close to. I know you can start a build in the introductions thread and it can be transferred into the build area once you have the posts.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mile markers are ordered! 30 posts isn't so bad. I thought it was 75 but that must have been for something else.
I am leaning towards the 2.5 inch rough country lift instead of 4. 4" seems to introduce a few more issues and money...but then again, is 2.5" even worth doing?

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Mile markers are ordered! 30 posts isn't so bad. I thought it was 75 but that must have been for something else.
I am leaning towards the 2.5 inch rough country lift instead of 4. 4" seems to introduce a few more issues and money...but then again, is 2.5" even worth doing?
I ran the RC 2.5" lift for about 2 years and actually really liked it. The small radius arm drop brackets still allowed the suspension to flex decently. Especially compared to the drop brackets I later installed with a 6" Procomp lift. I know RC can get a bad rap but when I received my kit without the shocks I ordered, I called them and they immediately got some on the way without asking a single question. And when I say the shocks were missing, I'm talking about a ripped up half empty box from shipping, not that they forgot them.
They kit was of good quality and I have seen some threads on this site that make me think they have improved the kit over time so maybe they used to be of a lower quality and that is why people bag on them... :shrug
Here are some before and after pics:

Just for the heck of it I rolled my 35" MT/Rs under it and took it to Moab. They are too big for sure but I ran a few of the more mild trails there and did great! I did get a little rear wheel well crunch going on. I would certainly be comfortable with 33s though.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is about what I am looking for in lift height. I wouldn't mind going higher but it is pretty much a daily driver and I will be running either 31's or 33's at the most. I want it to be a very capable trail rig (which I think it pretty much already is) but able to get into a little more rough stuff when needed. Sliders and roll bar are next I think...along with the lift. Any votes for a different lift in the 2" to 4" range that will drive decent and not be to expensive? Is a shackle flip a substitute for blocks on the rear?

This is the lift kit I am looking at: http://www.amazon.com/Rough-Country...422546611&sr=8-14&keywords=ford+2.5+inch+lift

...and would a 4 inch lift look bad with 31"s? (or 33's for that matter)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I did a shackle flip on mine. I used new front position hangers for the rear. I would not trust blocks. I haven't gotten to drive it yet as I am still working on the front end. From what I have read about this is your pinion angle will be spot on without the factory wedge. It will move your wheel center toward the front (about one inch). For that you can drill a new hole in your spring perch an inch forward of the original one. Also the top plate and bolt back down.

·
Registered
636 Posts
heres my 96 stock with 31s

and here it is with the 2 inch level coils, in the front only

and here it is with a tube front bumper and 33s

[/URL

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
I have tried Preparations A-G , but Preparation H feels the best on the whole.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I have tried Preparations A-G , but Preparation H feels the best on the whole.
I completely agree - Preparation H does feel good. On the whole

·
I Won My
1,599 Posts
What is the purpose of a front receiver? I figure I will have a winch and tow hooks..is there another use?

My GF is leaning towards getting the AC working also. :)
Convenient, I have a winch and receiver up front but just to get a tug from someone instead of always pulling out the winch everytime you just need that little bump, hooks are good too, I just like the receiver cause you can use multiple different attachments too

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was able to get a few more items checked off my list for the trip to Moab during the bronco safari.

Receiver hitch installed.
Front hooks in.
MM manual hubs. (kinda miss the auto hubs though...)
Installed tranny cooler and remote filter.
A ton of little things that will make life easier.

I still want to do a small lift on it but for now I am going to trim bumpers for slightly better approach angles. We will see how it does!

Anyone firmed plans for going to the Safari this year.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, I will post some pix today. We had a blast, weather was perfect but we missed the Bronco Safari by a day or two so we weren't a part of the group. We ran into a lot of great people and rode awesome trails. Everyone was surprised on how well a pretty much stock FSB did. I went pretty everywhere I wanted without taking bypasses. We did the Hells Revenge, Poison Spider Mesa, Pucker Pass (easy, beautiful drive),and Pritchett Canyon. Pritchett Canyon was one trail I didn't even try but we completed it easily in my buddy's rock crawler (the purple early bronco in the pix). Will definitely go again next year!! (I will figure out how to post pix again in a sec...I always forget.) Since the trip I have lifted my bronco and put on larger tires, next year I hope to not drag my hitch on all the steep climbs. :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Here is a link to several Moab Pix: http://www.supermotors.net/registry/27000/85024
My Bronco was pretty much stock except for a rear locker. It was sitting on 31's at the time.
I have to throw this in: I highly recommend the Goodyear Authority tires at Walmart...I know, Walmart junk. Sorry, these tires are not junk and had amazing grip, especially on slickrock. My locker and these tires made all the difference in Moab for me. They have exceeded my expectation on rock, mud, snow, and ice!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts