Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the recent news of Jeep putting a 3.0-litre V6 EcoDiesel engine in the Wrangler, I'm curious to know if anyone would want to see Ford put a diesel engine in the Bronco?

I know in Europe the Ranger Raptor comes with a 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder diesel engine that gets 213 hp and 368 lb-ft of torque. Maybe Ford could use that?

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
643 Posts
I'm sure it would be "cool", and people with money would buy one. But for me, if I had the money to buy a new Bronco(which I don't), and with all the BS that comes with a new diesel(emission crap), I think in the long run it would be a can of worms i'm not willing to open. Hypothetically, if I were to buy one, it would be gas

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,690 Posts
My Bronco:
2020 F-250 regular cab with rear bulkhead removed
Have it's bed fused to said cab
fiberglass top for bed/cab.
6.7 PSD
WB 110"-115"
Dana 60/Sterling 10.5

·
Registered
822 Posts
And have to spend an additional $1500 on top of purchase in order to get a well made delete tune, new exhaust, and spend an entire weekend pulling the new expensive garbage stuck to my brand new vehicle that drastically reduces engine efficiency and lifespan? And on top of all of that have to be on my mind that I have to drive an "illegally modified" brand new vehicle just so it actually works properly? No thanks. EPA ruined diesel.

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,690 Posts
And have to spend an additional $1500 on top of purchase in order to get a well made delete tune, new exhaust, and spend an entire weekend pulling the new expensive garbage stuck to my brand new vehicle that drastically reduces engine efficiency and lifespan? And on top of all of that have to be on my mind that I have to drive an "illegally modified" brand new vehicle just so it actually works properly? No thanks.

--------->EPA ruined diesel.<---------
In a nutshell; I totally agree.

·
Registered
45 Posts
And have to spend an additional $1500 on top of purchase in order to get a well made delete tune, new exhaust, and spend an entire weekend pulling the new expensive garbage stuck to my brand new vehicle that drastically reduces engine efficiency and lifespan? And on top of all of that have to be on my mind that I have to drive an "illegally modified" brand new vehicle just so it actually works properly? No thanks. EPA ruined diesel.
I agree. I started driving diesels around 1993 at work and owned my first one in Jan of 97 and have had one ever since. My 2015 6.7 will be my last. IF I ever buy another new truck, it won't be a diesel. I just spent $1500 to delete and tune it doing the work myself. It was that or close to $3k to replace the DPF. The dealer recommended the delete since it was out of warranty.

In 97 gas was about $1.30, diesel about $1.15 and I got a consistent 18 mpg. The gov certainly has taken the joy out of diesels.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
I would buy one if they make it and if they make it with base trim level. Sadly most all light duty road going diesels have much more emissions equipment than gasoline versions. Most manufactures half ton and Chevy's Colorado engines are $5,000.00 or so more and limited to certain trim levels. Combine that with questionable long term maintenance needs and it just doesn't make sense for most to purchase unless you just want to say I have a diesel. The Eco Boost family is doing well for Ford and I to would place my bets on an electric version such as Rivian as Ford has a stake in them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts