Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from the Jeep Wrangler one of the other main competitors I think for the Bronco will be the Toyota 4Runner. Even thought it's more of a family-friendly SUV it's still solid off-road.

When the Bronco comes out I really want to see some comparisons with the Bronco, Wrangler, and 4Runner. My guess is that in an off-road test the 4Runner finishes third behind the Bronco and Wrangler but who knows.

How does everyone else think the Bronco will compare to the 4Runner?

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,492 Posts
I feel if the bronco is not at least as capable as a 4runner they completely missed the mark.

I actually perosonally expect the new bronco to be more or a cross between an FJ and 4runner then a direct competitor to the wrangler, I would delighted to be wrong on that though.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
The 4Runner has been here since the 1980s and never left. 4Runners are not modified in the same numbers or to the same extent as Wranglers. The reason behind this is most 4Runner buyer's prime reason to purchase is not based on off-road prowess. Combine this with limited aftermarket support with offerings that are available being significantly over priced for what they are and accomplish. Interject whatever reasoning you need here. One could argue that the Jeep market has become saturated with made in China crap therefore making the prices lower and greater availability. Regardless of price or what materials the products are made of it is much easier to crank out parts for a Jeep as the body lines are much simpler and the design changes are usually modest.

A stock 4Runner will accomplish what the vast majority of people with an outdoor oriented lifestyle need it to. The difference between the Wrangler and 4Runner is the 4Runner will do it for longer with less maintenance, greater reliability, better safety, and is much easier to live with on a day to day basis. Adding nothing besides more aggressive all terrain tires a 4runner serve the majority just fine. Online publications will show the Jeep's ability overshadowing the 4Runners though not by much and certainly not enough to justify Jeep prices for what amounts to a sheet metal tub on wheels.
I have driven a 4Runner through water above my tires more times than I care to count, traversed hundreds of miles of unpaved washed out trails along the Rio Grande, and generally abused it for almost a decade and over 100,000 miles. This is not my first one. I have had a 1989 and two 2005s one with a 4.7 V8. I have also driven the Toyota Prado overseas on multiple occasion with only a few miles on paved roads. The Jeep will not and has not been a good choice for what people will really do with their vehicles on most occasions. The majority of buyers will purchase them for what they envision themselves doing which hey, its just good marketing. Most of people I meet with Jeep Wranglers trade them in shortly with the typical line of "I never took the top off and never been off-road."

Hopefully Ford will find a happy medium between these great vehicles and something we can be proud to own for more than several years. From the patents we have all seen I think it will be long on the coolness factor but I expect similar problems that plague most new Fords. Just a friendly reminder that even Ford didn't market the full size Bronco to be a competitor to the Wrangler. It was always a compromise vehicle to appeal to our outdoor dreams but satisfy our real daily needs. Just like a 4Runner.

And hey Ford Explorer! All this is your fault. If you would not have been so successful Ford wouldn't have brought us the Expedition effectively killing the Ford two door SUV market. Then to top it off you dilute the name by going with a car based FWD chassis with less ground clearance that a decades old Crown Vic. Regardless on the engine mounting for the latest model its a Ford Flex which in itself is a modern Windstar.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I feel if the bronco is not at least as capable as a 4runner they completely missed the mark.

I actually perosonally expect the new bronco to be more or a cross between an FJ and 4runner then a direct competitor to the wrangler, I would delighted to be wrong on that though.
I definitely agree, I think a blend of the FJ and 4Runner is a fair comparison. Because from what we've seen so far, it seems like that's what ford is tying to grapple with, a great off-roader that can be a sensible family-vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
14,530 Posts
"Combine this with limited aftermarket support with offerings that are available being significantly over priced for what they are and accomplish."

Somewhat disagree..Aftermarket for Toyota particularly the 4runner has probably grown exponentially the last 5 to 10 years..it helps that Toyota has produced a greater number of 4Rs then they ever have in the last couple..Is is saturated to the extent of jeeps, no? But there are tons of options if you're wanting to upgrade your rigs suspension and price points to fit every budget. most folks would be perfectly suited with a reasonably priced dobinson suspension set up versus the Icons which in my opinion are overkill.

"A stock 4Runner will accomplish what the vast majority of people with an outdoor oriented lifestyle need it to."

Totally agree.

"The difference between the Wrangler and 4Runner is the 4Runner will do it for longer with less maintenance, greater reliability, better safety, and is much easier to live with on a day to day basis."

Totally agree.

Purchased my 4R new in 2018..this was my first new vehicle and I absolutely love it and know it will provides years of reliability.. My stepdad had an '03 limited with the V8..that was a nice vehicle, I wish there was still a v8 option..Having said that, it's a tried and true body on frame platform that hasn't been substantially changed in 10 years..I feel like whatever Ford rolls out the door with the Bronco badge will need a couple years to work the kinks out..

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
My 1989 5spd 4Runner was my favorite Toyota ever, even more so than my 1976 FJ. Its what got me into Broncos years ago as the Bronco was just bigger but had the same half roof and removable top. Got rid of it only because it was too small for us. The 2005 4WD V8 I replaced my first full size with had the same design running gear as the Land Cruiser and had a larger towing capacity than the Tundra. Currently rocking a 2011 and have for years taking it along hundreds of miles of Black Gap Road and River Road on the border. The new Bronco will have to come close to the 4Runners reliability to be a new daily driver. Living in congested Houston with a long commute and busy off days means the current Bronco I have, even if it was in great condition for it's age, wont cut it. I can not have the same confidence in any 30 year plus old vehicle without the latest safety features such as VSC, airbags, enhanced materials for strength, not to mention the many advancements in fuel economy and other convenience features. The wife's Highlander does this for us without a worry as I'm certain other's Explorers will as well. With uninsured motorists flying around the loops at 85 plus MPH or just random crazies you have to have every advantage on your side to protect your children and yourself. Or, just get to work on time as the boss man couldn't care less about the Bronco's problems.

We are here on this forum because we love what Ford has made but, will we love what they make? I'm no longer in the stage of my life where even a perfect condition old truck will do what I need. I need this new Bronco to be great but I will not judge it with rose colored glasses either.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 1989 5spd 4Runner was my favorite Toyota ever, even more so than my 1976 FJ. Its what got me into Broncos years ago as the Bronco was just bigger but had the same half roof and removable top. Got rid of it only because it was too small for us. The 2005 4WD V8 I replaced my first full size with had the same design running gear as the Land Cruiser and had a larger towing capacity than the Tundra. Currently rocking a 2011 and have for years taking it along hundreds of miles of Black Gap Road and River Road on the border. The new Bronco will have to come close to the 4Runners reliability to be a new daily driver. Living in congested Houston with a long commute and busy off days means the current Bronco I have, even if it was in great condition for it's age, wont cut it. I can not have the same confidence in any 30 year plus old vehicle without the latest safety features such as VSC, airbags, enhanced materials for strength, not to mention the many advancements in fuel economy and other convenience features. The wife's Highlander does this for us without a worry as I'm certain other's Explorers will as well. With uninsured motorists flying around the loops at 85 plus MPH or just random crazies you have to have every advantage on your side to protect your children and yourself. Or, just get to work on time as the boss man couldn't care less about the Bronco's problems.

We are here on this forum because we love what Ford has made but, will we love what they make? I'm no longer in the stage of my life where even a perfect condition old truck will do what I need. I need this new Bronco to be great but I will not judge it with rose colored glasses either.
That's a very fair way of looking at things. If Ford can match a Toyota level of reliability that would be fantastic. So far they've been checking off all the boxes for me with the Bronco but there's no guarantees until it's actually revealed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts