Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
10,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose I'll get this rolling! Who wants to do another FSB Invasion?

Key topics in this thread will be whether we want to do Bronco Safari again or not. The 2020 Bronco Safari is April 28th through May 2nd.

If not, have a suggestion of an event. Preferably not on a coast, so travel time is more averaged out.

If you didnt follow the 2019 Invasion, it was a blast. We had FSB brothers from all corners of the USA. NY, GA, ID, AZ and lots of places in between. We attended the Utah Bronco Club's Bronco Safari in Moab, Utah. We had 14 FSB members in total I believe. There were over 100 total Broncos at the event. They ranged from stock to full on trail rigs.

I had a great time, and would love to see more of Moab, as it has so so much to see and do. It also has all the amenities of a good sized city.

I would also enjoy doing the passes in SE Colorado near Ouray, Silverton, and Telluride. These include Black Bear Pass, Engineer Pass, Corkscrew Pass, Imogene Pass, and many more. They are, however, not as hardcore as Moab. They are more of actual roads, albeit 4x4 required, and quite rough. Most of the difficulties come from them being passes over 12,000 ft. These would have to be done later than Bronco Safari, due to the snow they get through May.

So what do y'all say?!

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
I'm in for a MOAB run this time. As some of you now know, I had some sh!t spilled in my lap that pushed this years hopes out too far but with a good year in advance, I plan to make a serious priority out of this years run. FSB 2020 MOAB... FTW!!! :rockon

oh yea... I could care less either way, if we end up invading the classics run or making our own. I just want to enjoy my FSB with my FSB bro's and that's good enough for this crazy little bastard. :beer

·
Addicted to Junk
10,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, Jim, that was one hell of a drive for you, but you certainly made the best of your time out there. Shoot, you had a week of travel time alone. If things swing further east, I'm sure you'll reconsider.

Pepe, it's not like we are crashing their fancy event in Moab. They generally have a good nature towards our rigs. It felt like they were all part of the FSB family. And trail runs through the Safari are not mandatory. You can choose to go on one of theirs, or grab a couple other rigs and take an easy or scenic trail.

The registration pretty much pays for the entrance fees for the trails. If you arent part of the Safari Event, you'll have to pay at the park entrance. It could be 15-30 bucks per day. That adds up. Then you get an average meal at the raffle and a raffle ticket. Oh and a t-shirt and small swag bag.

After the morning trail runs (meet at 8am to convoy) you have plenty of free time. Trail runs last anywhere from a couple hours to 12 hours for the triple threat.

Anywhos carry on the discussion...

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,617 Posts
In!!! Thanks for the chance! :partytrain:partytrain

Worst case scenario is I'll show up just to do the easy only trails and socialize.

I want to meet the 'Harley Davidson action figure'. :histerica :ford

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
@silent one - I kinda skimmed through the invasion thread. Did you have problems, break downs or was it just about the time and distance? $4k isn't even close to an option for me but I'm around 1,000 miles to MOAB. No idea how far New York would be, off-hand. Bummer you can't make it though. You've inspired me a few times over the years and I'd like to shake your hand some day.

@BigBlue 94 - Don't get me wrong bud. I got nothing against hangin' with the EB fella's at all and I'm sure I'd appreciate the experience and organization they're letting us piggy back on... I'm just not opposed to whatever it takes because they aren't the priority for me. :thumbup

I want to meet the 'Harley Davidson action figure'. :histerica :ford
Just bear in mind, I'm well past my prime. Road* hard and put away wet but left to wonder about, somewhat aimlessly. :toothless You know the deal. ;)

8 am? In the morning? On a vacation? What's the matter with you people? You damn working stiffs forget how to relax a little? :goodfinge

I hope to be so busy shakin' hands and shootin' the breeze, I'll be lucky to get out on the trails but when I do... I'm only afraid of pushing my rig and my personal capability limits too far. The rigs been rock solid after the last engine swap and quite capable out at the ORV park but running 33's, my ground clearance for rock crawling will be my biggest obstacle. Wheel flex clearance is outstanding but that's a different world than I usually play in. Beyond that consideration... I expect I'll be game for damn near anything. I'm kinda reckless like that. Just can't jack my ride home up tooo much. :brownbag

I do need to pick up a set of those re-enforced brackets for the axle, block, leaf part of the rear lift. I'll feel pretty good about the rest of my lift out there once I've done that. Anything else I could pull off between now and then would just be a bonus.

Sturgis experience has left me setup pretty well for camping and I know my lil' lady won't be very interested (she has motion sicky issues), so road tripping bachelor style can be squeaky cheap if it needs. I can pack my grub and live on sandwiches and gatoraid, plus I've got that State Parks discount gimp card @White Dragon turned me on too early in planning for the last run.

Yep. I think it's doable this year. Might even be able to drag out a few other locals to join us. The more the merrier! :beer

BTW... I know that @wileec originally had some motivation to promote the FSB's specifically, aside the EB based event. How did you all feel that angle went anyway? I'm sure ya'll were welcome and all that, from what I read but I didn't pick up on that specific angle. I know our rigs are starting to get that market interest, with age, capability, limited availability and the 2020 model hype, so I was just curious if any of you that went out felt that vibe?

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,617 Posts
I would also enjoy doing the passes in SE Colorado near Ouray, Silverton, and Telluride. These include Black Bear Pass, Engineer Pass, Corkscrew Pass, Imogene Pass, and many more. They are, however, not as hardcore as Moab. They are more of actual roads, albeit 4x4 required, and quite rough. Most of the difficulties come from them being passes over 12,000 ft. These would have to be done later than Bronco Safari, due to the snow they get through May.

So what do y'all say?!
I would love to do those passes!

LEAD. THE. WAY!!!
:beer

Just bear in mind, I'm well past my prime. Road* hard and put away wet but left to wonder about, somewhat aimlessly. :toothless You know the deal. ;)

8 am? In the morning? On a vacation? What's the matter with you people? You damn working stiffs forget how to relax a little? :goodfinge

I hope to be so busy shakin' hands and shootin' the breeze, I'll be lucky to get out on the trails but when I do... I'm only afraid of pushing my rig and my personal capability limits too far. The rigs been rock solid after the last engine swap and quite capable out at the ORV park but running 33's, my ground clearance for rock crawling will be my biggest obstacle. Wheel flex clearance is outstanding but that's a different world than I usually play in. Beyond that consideration... I expect I'll be game for damn near anything. I'm kinda reckless like that. Just can't jack my ride home up tooo much. :brownbag
I figured at minimum I'll just show up and be a social butterfly around town/camp/meeting(s)/gathering(s).

I noticed that too (early start-times).

Then I realized:
1) It's a desert; early=cooler/later=hotter
2) Half-day runs can turn into all day-into evening runs. As did happen on at least one run this year.

Dude; I'm right there with you regarding setting limits on the Bronco. :notworthy :notworthy

This trip will be the first biggest trip since:
1) Swapping in the Sterling 10.25.
2) Replacing the front and rear suspension.

3) Possibly swapping in a front Dana 60.
4) Possibly replacing radiator and adding fanned tranny cooler.

I don't know what tires I'll be running yet (for the next year or so).

33s or 37s; depending on what route (build-wise) I go.

Long term goal is definitely 37s or 38s.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The FSB only thing happened a couple times, one trail ride and one dinner. Not everyone made it to the trail ride. We were all kinda spread out, so that didnt help things.

I camped away from all the EB guys, so I didnt spend much time with them.

Yeah, 8am. Usually dont get to the trail till 9am or so, then rolling in about 9:30. Triple threat went from 10am to 10pm this year, with a certain not a jeep not getting done till 1am. Traffic on the trails also is a reason for this.

That being said, you dont have to participate in every day. Maybe you and I and another want to do a different trail, we can, and we can start at any time, even 8pm. Id even be willing to lead Fins or Hells revenge.

Nick has been there many years now and can attest to the friendly attitude and brotherly love around.

Ha bachelor camping is what I'm all about. Coffee, coughee, sandwiches, snacks and drinks got me through just fine.

However we end up doing it, itll be fun.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would love to do those passes!

LEAD. THE. WAY!!!
:beer

I figured at minimum I'll just show up and be a social butterfly around town/camp/meeting(s)/gathering(s).

I noticed that too (early start-times).

Then I realized:
1) It's a desert; early=cooler/later=hotter
2) Half-day runs can turn into all day-into evening runs. As did happen on at least one run this year.

Dude; I'm right there with you regarding setting limits on the Bronco. :notworthy :notworthy

This trip will be the first biggest trip since:
1) Swapping in the Sterling 10.25.
2) Replacing the front and rear suspension.

3) Possibly swapping in a front Dana 60.
4) Possibly replacing radiator and adding fanned tranny cooler.

I don't know what tires I'll be running yet (for the next year or so).

33s or 37s; depending on what route (build-wise) I go.

Long term goal is definitely 37s or 38s.
Dont fret over your rig's capability. A stock bronco II did every bit of Hell's revenge and Fins n things that I did. I would say 33s are about the minimum for the bigger FSB for many obstacles, just for the ground clearance, though 31s could suffice. Those two trails, plus the 3D Jeep trail @AbandonedBronco went on are all mild enough for any FSB to get through. That's three days of trails already.

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,617 Posts
The FSB only thing happened a couple times, one trail ride and one dinner. Not everyone made it to the trail ride. We were all kinda spread out, so that didnt help things.

I camped away from all the EB guys, so I didnt spend much time with them.

Yeah, 8am. Usually dont get to the trail till 9am or so, then rolling in about 9:30. Triple threat went from 10am to 10pm this year, with a certain not a jeep not getting done till 1am. Traffic on the trails also is a reason for this.

That being said, you dont have to participate in every day. Maybe you and I and another want to do a different trail, we can, and we can start at any time, even 8pm. Id even be willing to lead Fins or Hells revenge.

Nick has been there many years now and can attest to the friendly attitude and brotherly love around.

Ha bachelor camping is what I'm all about. Coffee, coughee, sandwiches, snacks and drinks got me through just fine.

However we end up doing it, itll be fun.
Absolutely!

This trip will also be a journey.

Getting out and on the open road is half the fun/excitement.

Before even arriving in Moab, I will have had an adventure.

For example:
I've always wanted to visit Bear Lake in Eastern Idaho.

Since I'll be driving past it on the way to Moab, I figured I'd spend a day/overnight there.

Utilizing, "Because it's there" philosophy.

·
Super Moderator
4,418 Posts
I have 32" tires and a stock suspension with open diffs.

The 3D Jeep was a great trail for that, although I know I could have taken it on lot more rough stuff (I've BEEN on a lot more). It was just that in that situation, my wife and I were completely by ourselves, so the last thing I wanted was getting stuck, and then hoping someone would eventually come along.

That said, it always surprises me what the Bronco can do. There were some grueling rocks and ruts that I went over, and there was never a bump or a scrape underneath. It just drove over them.

When you're with a group, you can take a little bit bigger risks with what you try, since someone's there to pull you out.
The only thing I don't ever want to do is A: body damage or B: break something that makes it difficult to get back home.

As for joining up with the EB Bronco Invasion... my personal opinion was that the entry fee should be optional. If you want to pay for the entry fee, have their trail leaders, go to the raffle/dinner, etc. then by all means. But if not, there should be enough of us FSB guys out there that we can go do our own thing. I know I arrived a few days late, but I felt like I paid $125 for a chicken dinner. :doh0715:

·
Addicted to Junk
10,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

The 3D Jeep was a great trail for that, although I know I could have taken it on lot more rough stuff (I've BEEN on a lot more). It was just that in that situation, my wife and I were completely by ourselves, so the last thing I wanted was getting stuck, and then hoping someone would eventually come along.

That said, it always surprises me what the Bronco can do. There were some grueling rocks and ruts that I went over, and there was never a bump or a scrape underneath. It just drove over them.

When you're with a group, you can take a little bit bigger risks with what you try, since someone's there to pull you out.
The only thing I don't ever want to do is A: body damage or B: break something that makes it difficult to get back home.

As for joining up with the EB Bronco Invasion... my personal opinion was that the entry fee should be optional. If you want to pay for the entry fee, have their trail leaders, go to the raffle/dinner, etc. then by all means. But if not, there should be enough of us FSB guys out there that we can go do our own thing. I know I arrived a few days late, but I felt like I paid $125 for a chicken dinner. :doh0715:
The Bronco Safari part IS optional. But a great deal if you plan on being there all week. The bronco show n shine can be attended even if you arent registered. You just wont have a show number. And if you wanted to tag along on a couple Safari trail rides, you can, just have to pay your own entry fee. Its not a super serious thing. Heck I only did two trails and felt like I got a decent deal, even without winning the wheels.

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,617 Posts

FAAAAAAAA.......!!1! :shocked

That's 1.33333 tanks of gas!

This brings up a reality point once in Moab area: cost/fees

1) typical motel
2) camping spots
3) Local gas
4) Registration/group fees
5) etc
6) etc

·
Super Moderator
4,418 Posts
The Bronco Safari part IS optional. But a great deal if you plan on being there all week. The bronco show n shine can be attended even if you arent registered. You just wont have a show number. And if you wanted to tag along on a couple Safari trail rides, you can, just have to pay your own entry fee. Its not a super serious thing. Heck I only did two trails and felt like I got a decent deal, even without winning the wheels.
In our group discussions before the event, I think it was pretty unanimously decided that we should all get tickets, since we were "crashing" their event. No worries, not complaining. Just in the future, I think we should have enough people that we can go our own way should we feel like it.

I agree they were cool guys, and it's fun to tie in with them. The more Broncos the better! And the show and shine was tons of fun.

This only has to with the ticket purchase.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
FAAAAAAAA.......!!1! :shocked

That's 1.33333 tanks of gas!

This brings up a reality point once in Moab area: cost/fees

1) typical motel
2) camping spots
3) Local gas
4) Registration/group fees
5) etc
6) etc
1 and 2) lodging is ample. There are camp sites, hotels, condos, etc.

3) gas is also plentiful. Archview, where I stayed, had it's own Chevron station. There are at least 5 gas stations in the town. Camping there was about 50 a night.

4) since I was part of the Safari, I'm not sure what trail fees are. It was 30 bucks to get into Arches National park, but that was for like a weekend pass I believe.

·
Super Moderator
4,418 Posts
Yeah, lodging was nicely straightforward.
We stayed at Archview too. They have nicely set up flat spots for tents, bigger spots for trailers/campers, or small cabins they rented out. We did the latter and really liked it and is definitely what we'd do again. It was nice to be able to lock stuff up during the day.

There's gas stations everywhere. Moab population is about 5000 people, so it's pretty established with restaurants, gas stations, shopping, etc. And with it's main attraction being the off-roading, there's lots of buggy rentals, and extra parts stores, etc.

I know I had no idea what to expect when I got there, and was pleasantly surprised.

And yes, Arches National Park was $30 for a week pass (or somewhere right around there) but you can't go off-road in there.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Population 5000, but amenities of a town of 25,000 since it's a tourist destination. I bet there are 30 some places to eat.

·
Premium Member
7,126 Posts
Yeah, Jim, that was one hell of a drive for you, but you certainly made the best of your time out there. Shoot, you had a week of travel time alone. If things swing further east, I'm sure you'll reconsider.
It certainly was a hell of a trip, travel there and back kinda sucked but no complaints.

@silent one - I kinda skimmed through the invasion thread. Did you have problems, break downs or was it just about the time and distance? $4k isn't even close to an option for me but I'm around 1,000 miles to MOAB. No idea how far New York would be, off-hand. Bummer you can't make it though. You've inspired me a few times over the years and I'd like to shake your hand some day.
I had an issue with my left front hub bearing the entire trip. Turns out the outer bearing race was loose where is presses in and was wearing it self out, i kept tightening but the bearing was pushing its way into the center and got to the point that the nut bottomed out and the wheel was still very loose. i took it all apart in Ohio and packed it FULL of grease and drove the rest of the way off scared out of my mind the wheel was just going to come off at some point. Tried to find a new hub but no one had one, not even a listing for one. Also destroyed 2 locking hubs because of this.Its

Its just under 2200 miles one way, I did just over 5 thousand miles in 13 days, all with the left front wheel loose.

There is stuff i missed out on and want to get back to do those things, but i think a truck and trailer and a co-pilot would make the trip out easier.

·
Premium Member
3,327 Posts
Hey all. I am a huge fan of the amount of work and support that the Safari guys put out there. Worth every bit of the $105, I got in early. The trail support is worth every penny. But I bet if you asked at camp they would find a group to come help you out even if you were not part of the Safari.

As for Colorado trails in the south west they are very unpredictable. Most normally do not get free of snow until after July 4th and this year with the avalanches and late snow there will be some that do not open. I would love to get back together with a bunch of you in CO anyway.

As for the 2020 Safari I may have my son's college graduation to get to that week.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts