Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
And registered for the event! Now if my new brake lines would ever get here, I could finish this HB, F350, T-Bird brake swap! Still gotta wire my new PMGR starter, fix a couple leaks, and get the carb running better.

I noticed the DNR mandates a 94 dB sound limit. My bronco is pretty damn loud at WOT, even with a full tailpipe. Are they strict about this? Should I throw on a second muffler lol?
Not sure - mine isn’t too loud with a Flowmaster 40 and a cat. Hey Brandon, any word on noise level?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
15,143 Posts
Not sure - mine isn’t too loud with a Flowmaster 40 and a cat. Hey Brandon, any word on noise level?
I have long tubes, an aftermarket cat, and a borla race muffler. Maybe ill see if i can get an app on my phone to see how loud it is.

·
Registered
343 Posts
They check at 2500 rpm but if yours isn't alarmingly loud at idle they probably won't even check you.

The law is 94 but they let up to 97 go in.

If you guys have a catalytic converter and a muffler you probably won't have any issues.

Also you can get a decibel app on your phone and check yourself, they're reasonable accurate.

Reactions: BigBlue 94

·
Registered
343 Posts
Also ,just thought of this, if you have an Iphone there is a db meter in the toolkit

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,551 Posts
@MS88Bronc @BigBlue 94
Totally just depnds on who's running the check point. I have went a year without getting checked, but have also been checked 2 times with-in 15 min. on my ATV too.
I would advise to have a back up plan of sorts ready to go. This is what I do on the 78. Technically they can check you out in the dunes too, but I have very rarely seen a DNR person doing that. If they check you out there likely isn't only reason your getting checked out.

Your setup sounds like it could be on the edge, the good news is they check them at half the rated RPM, so your 6 should be checked at lower rpm then most V8's.

My back up plan

I like the supertrapp as its tuneable and also says right on the cap US FORESTRY APPROVED. Your straight threw race muffler technically isn't a spark arrestor. Will they know, I have no idea, just telling you all the rules and just to be aware.
I have purposely made mine loud before to fail, to let someone else get in that was border line. They typically only check 1 ORV at a time from what I have seen.

As @norm mentioned most catt'ed things are fine... Also don't be an idiot, why sit in the parking lot and rev your junk and give them a reason to check it. I also know of a few people with "broken" or re-adjusted tachs, though they do have their own they can use too, I typically only see that done on ATVs/Bikes

Likely making the dunes sounds not as fun, which isn't the case its just a little more patrolled then it once was.... I am happy to have been up there before they moved the entrance and most stock stuff of the day, couldn't even get in the place. Open Headers on big block sand drag cars where always out at the "test n tune" area on the big flats, where you could run 10-12 wide at a time.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
15,143 Posts
My cat is very small. And yea, the Borla is straight through, but is shaped like a traditional oval cased turbo muffler. Not sure why we need a spark arrestor on sand..! Lol. I have a welded on turndown as a tip, so a supertrapp would require me to cut that off.

My 300 has a 5500rpm redline... Good to know what rpm they measure at. Ill measure it and make adjustments if needed.

I wont be sitting in the lot revving my junk lol! Im used to rules getting more stringent. The NHRA drags here used to be a shitshow in the campgrounds, and they slowly kept making it more and more regulated.

·
The Tennessee Warden
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
My cat is very small. And yea, the Borla is straight through, but is shaped like a traditional oval cased turbo muffler. Not sure why we need a spark arrestor on sand..! Lol. I have a welded on turndown as a tip, so a supertrapp would require me to cut that off.

My 300 has a 5500rpm redline... Good to know what rpm they measure at. Ill measure it and make adjustments if needed.

I wont be sitting in the lot revving my junk lol! Im used to rules getting more stringent. The NHRA drags here used to be a shitshow in the campgrounds, and they slowly kept making it more and more regulated.
The spark arrester rule is state-wide, not just for the dunes, so it includes trails, off-road parks, etc. Most ORV areas aren’t sand, so that’s probably why they require that. Out in the dunes, you’ll hear lots of really loud ORVs and you’ll wonder how they didn’t get checked. As long as you’re not revving and showing off while rolling through the check point at the entrance, you’ll most likely not even get checked.

·
Addicted to Junk
15,143 Posts
The spark arrester rule is state-wide, not just for the dunes, so it includes trails, off-road parks, etc. Most ORV areas aren’t sand, so that’s probably why they require that. Out in the dunes, you’ll hear lots of really loud ORVs and you’ll wonder how they didn’t get checked. As long as you’re not revving and showing off while rolling through the check point at the entrance, you’ll most likely not even get checked.
Yeah most states with forests have the arrestor rule. We probably should with all the grass around. I dont see the point in showing off for the DNR lol...

Reactions: MS88Bronc

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,551 Posts
Some steel wool and a couple of bolts/wire (coat hanger works great) threw the end of the pipe to keep it in place will muffle it more then you may think (this is sorta what I mean by backup plan).... The turn down is good, as where this is at, there is sand/gravel. I find this to help muffle the sound some. ( I didn't do it on my setup due to loss in ground clearance ). This is opposite of say if you were on the street.

·
Addicted to Junk
15,143 Posts
Brandon, were you the one with extra flags? Ill take you up on that offer. How do they mount?

Ive got a CB and a pair of gmrs radios.

Any of you guys need a good set of snow chains for 37" ish tires? My Colorado sourced bronco came with a set, but i have no need for em.

My turndown doesnt really lose any clearance, thats why i love it.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,551 Posts
1/2 hole 10ft of flag, its gotta be 1/4" or better to hold it straight up with no gusset if your making a braket.
Most of them are the same 1/2-20 thread as a ford lug nut (the ones I have all are)

Yeah my normal tip is same kind of turn down...

·
Addicted to Junk
15,143 Posts
1/2 hole 10ft of flag, its gotta be 1/4" or better to hold it straight up with no gusset if your making a braket.
Most of them are the same 1/2-20 thread as a ford lug nut (the ones I have all are)

Yeah my normal tip is same kind of turn down...
So just a sturdy angle bracket with a half inch hole, mounted at bumper height or higher, at the front-most part of the vehicle? With room for a 1/2 ton ford lug nut underneath.

·
The Tennessee Warden
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Brandon, were you the one with extra flags? Ill take you up on that offer. How do they mount?

Ive got a CB and a pair of gmrs radios.

Any of you guys need a good set of snow chains for 37" ish tires? My Colorado sourced bronco came with a set, but i have no need for em.

My turndown doesnt really lose any clearance, thats why i love it.

I have my mount on my winch fairlead and it works just fine - 1/2” hole.

·
Addicted to Junk
15,143 Posts
I have my mount on my winch fairlead and it works just fine - 1/2” hole.
I dont have a flat surface like that up front. But I do have a super beefy brush guard i could mount it to with a simple angle. Or drill and tap one of the cross tubes. They have .300" wall thickness. Though I suppose if the flag is threaded to a standard lug nut, I could just weld one of those on.

·
Addicted to Junk
15,143 Posts
I like the supertrapp as its tuneable and also says right on the cap US FORESTRY APPROVED. Your straight threw race muffler technically isn't a spark arrestor. Will they know, I have no idea, just telling you all the rules
Was looking at the supertrapp like you have. Do I need more discs as you mentioned in your review on summit? I wont be running two, like you. It doesnt kill power does it

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,551 Posts
Was looking at the supertrapp like you have. Do I need more discs as you mentioned in your review on summit? I wont be running two, like you. It doesnt kill power does it
Yes it adds back pressure. You can tune it by adding discs or by spacing the disc with washers. Does it kill power, I don't think so if you match the gap and # of discs correctly, does it effect it, yes kind of impossible for it to not too due to the way it works.

·
The Tennessee Warden
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
If you’re gonna get a back up muffler to bring, just leave it in the box and wait for dnr to say something to you. You may be fine, then you can return the supertrapp lol.

·
Addicted to Junk
15,143 Posts
If you’re gonna get a back up muffler to bring, just leave it in the box and wait for dnr to say something to you. You may be fine, then you can return the supertrapp lol.
It would be more of an exhaust tip than a muffler, in my application. And if I dont like it, i can use it on my crawler.

I watched a video of a guy with a stroked 4.0L jeep six, which sounded very close to my 300. He did clips of it as an exhaust tip, with 12 and 24 plates. He was raving about it, and it really did alter the sound in a good way, IMO. With 24 plates, it knocked the hi rev dBs down from 91 to 88. Just 12 plates got it down to 85 dB.

Not sure how many hotrodded sixes yall have been around, but it sounds like a swarm of angry hornets inside a barrel at WOT. The supertrapp toned that raspy sound down in the video, while still sounding like a hopped up six. Most people ive read have said it acutally boosts torque a bit from the added backpressure. Of which I have very little. I have just an 8" cat and a 12" straight through muffler, with long tube headers, and a secondary collector on the y-pipe.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,068 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
15,143 Posts
I think ive decided on just a cheap spiral baffle insert to go in my muffler.

I spent 3 hours last night pondering different methods of toning the rasp down. I thought about inserts, a second muffler, a different muffler, the supertrapp tip, etc. The main issue is i built my exhaust tailored to the parts I chose and to be as tight to the undercarriage as possible. I have room only for a small oval cased muffler with a case no longer than 12 or 13" and a total length of 17". Inlet and outlet must be centered. That leaves me with very few muffler options, of which I dont think would be much different than the XR1.

So then i thought about adding a small race bullet or flowmaster 10 type muffler to the tailpipe. I have no length of strait pipe anywhere longer than 12". So I kinda settled on a moroso spiraflow muffler when I realized I could use an insert that duplicated that spiraflow, and cost only 18 bucks instead of 90. My XR1 is clamped in on both ends, so i can simply slide the insert into it.

Been watching some youtube videos of the SLSDs occasionally. Looks like a good time, especially if you have a go fast type rig. I had my old 94 airborne up to 80mph back in HS but ive never had this 85 up in the air. I did get good at jumping a 2wd utility ATV back in the day, after almost killing myself on it. They like to do front flips and I found that out the hard way...

21 - 40 of 40 Posts