Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

2022 FOTY

• Mattmann

• Bow

• BroncoJoe96

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Moderator and Scrounger Extraordinaire
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
19,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its getting close to starting time. Figured id start this thread npw so people have time to see it. Thread will open November First! Thread will close and we will crown a winner 40 days after i open it.

We have three contestants who gave their all previously this year. Lets see how they measure up to each other!

@mattmann
@bow
@BroncoJoe96

Get ready!

85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
19,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

· FSM Lifetime
1,033 Posts
Hey All,

Thanks for voting me FOTM and having me compete in this competition. During my FOTM run I covered a ton of my Bronco build up, and I'll touch on that again. However, to start this run off, I think I'm going to start with some wheeling and mods I've done to my Bronco once I got it together. To kick it all off, I think I'm going to start with one of my most extreme wheeling trips yet.

Before that though, here's a little background on my Bronco. The "cliff notes" so to speak. I've owned this rig for the past 10 years. I bought it at 15, and it was may daily driver all through high school and college. For a majority of it's life, it was on a 6" lift and 35s, but once I graduated and picked up a newer truck as a tow rig/daily, I finished it's transformation into the monster you see above. I lifted it higher, one ton swapped it, stuck on 43s, swapped in a 7.3 Powerstroke diesel, plus a handful of other odds and ends, but more on that later.

After some initial testing on the trails early on, a few of the biggest changes I did to the truck were adding high steer to it, and an ARB air locker up front. Then it was time for a "Shakedown Run" and it worked out perfect, because a few other FSB members needed one as well. Those members were @OX1 and @reptillikus, and we set up a date to go to Rausch Creek this past spring. It rained for days leading up to the Saturday we picked, as well as the whole time we were there. That didn't phase us though, and we ended up going, and I ended up running the most extreme trails I've ever hit-even in the swampy conditions. Here's some pictures from that trip:

We hit a pretty decent slew of obstacles, and it exposed a lot of weak points in my truck, the biggest of which was my already half shot transmission that I finished off out on the trails that day, and lack of adequate cooling for it. After pulling the trans out and disassembling it, I realized it got so hot that the paint burnt off the torque converter, and that the aluminum pump body heated up and expanded so much, that it allowed the front steel seal housing to "fall out" of where it was pressed into. Luckily, I knew the trans was on it's last legs so it failure wasn't too big of a surprise. However, now that it finally bit the dust, it moved to top thing on my to do list before I could get back out on the trails, so I'll cover that in my next post.

Here's a video covering some more of the wheeling that day at Rausch Creek:

Cheers to a good month!!

· Premium Member
1978 4 bt cummins zf 5 speed
292 Posts
Two diesel swaps this time around, broncojoes badass 7.3 and my not as impressive 4bt. I love a good big block gas v8 but the 19mpg of the 4bt is almost as cool. Of course now the diesel is $5 a gallon on it’s not really saving $$. But getting 500 miles out of a tank of fuel makes up for it. 200 miles was the best I ever did with the 351m. After several years living with the 4bt I am glad I did it. Fun to drive and puts a smile on my face every time. Ultra reliable and with the 5speed makes highway driving a lot more enjoyable.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold Automotive fuel system Car

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

· FSM Lifetime
1,033 Posts
After that trip out to Rausch Creek, I needed a transmission rebuild before I'd be able to get back on the trails again. That wasn't too bad, but my issue was that I only had about a month before the East Coast Bronco Round Up, so I was a little close on time. With that being said, I didn't have much to do but get to it.

I worked late one night and got the tranny pulled. I shortly realized I needed to acquire a high lift tranny jack. Even with my tires off, the floor tranny jack was too short to reach.

Then I stripped it down on a Thursday, with the plan to rebuild it over the long weekend (Memorial Day Weekend), and that's when I ran into problems. I needed hard parts, and there was no way I was going to be able to get them before/during the weekend. That was going to be a massive set back, so I had to figure something out...

I decided to search Facebook market place for a core to steal parts from, and found one an hour away. When I showed up, the guy actually had a second one on the pallet that he threw in for another like $50. Best part is, buying whole the spare trannies was cheaper than just buying the parts I needed.

I was back in business, with all the spare parts I could ever want.

I was able to get a high capacity pan, I got the tranny back together, and she was ready to go!

Then I took it for a celebratory beer run to test it out. She shifted well, and after installing a bigger tranny cooler we were ready for Bronco Roundup!

· FSM Lifetime
1,033 Posts

You can see the new tranny cooler on the driver side of the Bronco's bumper. With that on, we were ready to roll out!

It was a little wet, but that's okay.

It was still wet when we got there, but it ended up clearing up through out the day, here's a few pictures I got from day one. Most of them are just poser shots, because any of the action I got on the Go Pro.

Overall, everything functioned well on day 1. The cooler kept the tranny under control, everything felt good, and it was a mild day of wheeling. Typically there's three days of wheeling, so it's always a good idea to start slow, and not break your rig on the first day. I did a good job of that, and you can see the action below. However, on day two I wasn't so lucky, but that will be shared in the next post.

· FSM Lifetime
1,033 Posts
Next up was day two of wheeling, again at Rausch Creek. It was a bit nicer out, so I took off the top for the day. We also started moving to slightly harder trails, and I ended the day with a bang.

We played in a bit more of rocks, and Cemetery trail is where I ran into some issues.

I didn't get a ton of pictures from the day, but in the video below you can see the whole trip. If you skip to 7 minutes, that's the obstacle I ended up breaking on, and 9 minutes is right about when I end up breaking.

There was a miscommunication between my co pilot and myself, and instead of climbing up on this huge rock at the top of the trail with my passenger side tire, the smushing feeling that I thought was the 43" Super Swamper wrapping around the rock, was actually my 1.5" DOM quarter inch wall steering wrapping around that same rock. Then I gave the truck a little bit more throttle to climb, and the centering joint in the driveshaft's CV let go. This resulted with a sudden release of energy, and that energy immediately sheared off the the output shaft of of my transfer case. Right at the end of the obstacle too. Now I need to go back for redemption...

My driveshaft with my transfercases flange still attached.

My BW 1356 transfer cases output.

Luckily, getting off the trail wasn't too bad. We rearranged a few rocks, hooked up a winch to first straighten my steering, and then used it to help pull my truck out of the rocks since I didn't want to risk breaking anything else since I was limited to front wheel drive. It was an easy enough pull, and once I was on the main trail I taped up the output of my transfer case to keep it from losing fluid, and then drove the truck out of the park in front wheel drive. Once I hit the parking lot, I aired up the tires and drove 20 minutes on the back roads back to the camp ground in front wheel drive.

Cruising in front wheel drive, and you can see my front steering is still slightly bowed.

Even took 3rd in the car show for fullsize rigs. I think proudly displaying my trail damage helped.

19,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's some pictures from that trip:

Most epic FSB pic ive ever seen... Those boulders are so big it makes those huge broncos look like toy cars!

· Premium Member
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
4,276 Posts
Most epic FSB pic ive ever seen... Those boulders are so big it makes those huge broncos look like toy cars!
For a second I thought that was a rock under @OX1 's Bronco, but then I zoomed in and it's a person squatting under it. lol

· Premium Member
4,032 Posts
For a second I thought that was a rock under @OX1 's Bronco, but then I zoomed in and it's a person squatting under it. lol
Trying to get out of the rain, LOL!!

· Premium Member
92 Bronco, 408 Stroker, 6R80, 4" lift, 9 inch, ARB lockers, 4.56 gears, Bassani exhaust
1,192 Posts
Man, the way the rear end jumped when it unloaded was pretty spectacular.

· FSM Lifetime
1,033 Posts
Man, the way the rear end jumped when it unloaded was pretty spectacular.
For sure, I’m happy to have caught it on camera. It really puts into perspective how much load is applied to everything in the driveline.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts