Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
205s and the adapter are cheap and easy to find.Iam not sure if the driveline lengths will very from 203 to a 205 but I will take your 203 off your hands

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would you still take it with a gigantic hole in the side of it. I am actually in the process of buying this 78 with the smashed 203 and the guy i am buying it from already bought a used 205 and is going to throw it in with it. He s getting rid of of cheap so i cant really pass it up.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I've done in on a 78, the swap is a bolt on. You will need to convert your front hubs to part time, get the 205 case adapter, 205 shifter mechanism, and most importantly, look at your driveshaft length, it will change.

Probably one of the best mods I made to my 78 was converting it to part time 4x4

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you want to do it correctly it takes the long adapter, the 205, and swapping in a longer tailshaft in the trans. Otherwise your getting custom driveshafts made........(thats where I'm at now)

·
Registered
231 Posts
You'll need the one for the 205, but IIRC you'll need the short one. The long one will require a longer tailshaft put in the trans. Which is better in the long run. Then you dont have to change anything else, crossmember, driveshafts, etc. Or you could do what these guys are talking about with the reduction box, and use the front of the 203, bolt it to the 205 and have more options in gear ratios.....Which is what Im hoping to do with my 203 in a year or so.

·
Registered
231 Posts
You'll need the one for the 205, but IIRC you'll need the short one. The long one will require a longer tailshaft put in the trans. Which is better in the long run. Then you dont have to change anything else, crossmember, driveshafts, etc. Or you could do what these guys are talking about with the reduction box, and use the front of the 203, bolt it to the 205 and have more options in gear ratios.....Which is what Im hoping to do with my 203 in a year or so.

·
Registered
231 Posts
nope the chevy 203 and 205, the output is on the passenger side. and the adapter wont bolt up either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts