Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,927 Posts
If you search this here forum, this has been discussed lots of times. ;)

Like Mike said, do you have 4 or 5 positions on the t-case shifter? The 203 is friggin' huge for one thing, it's a chain driven, full time case. It'll have 5 positions, Lock-Hi-N-Lo-Lock. If I remember right, been awhile.

Here's a pic of the back of the 203 that came out of my '78.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bronco Mels said:
If you search this here forum, this has been discussed lots of times. ;)

Like Mike said, do you have 4 or 5 positions on the t-case shifter? The 203 is friggin' huge for one thing, it's a chain driven, full time case. It'll have 5 positions, Lock-Hi-N-Lo-Lock. If I remember right, been awhile.

Here's a pic of the back of the 203 that came out of my '78.
The shifter is a hurst so there are no numbers on it, but I do have manual lock hubs

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
78brownbronco said:
if u cant burnout, u got the 203

they could have installed a part time kit into the 203 and made it 2wd.

·
Registered
113 Posts
lol, i have the 203 and i can get my tires to do a lil squeal every now and then, but i meant like a smokeing burnout, when i bought mine and noticed i couldent spin my tires, i realized it had the 203, but i wasent real worried about what it had, it ran, it was in decent condition, and i only paid 100 bucks for mine.

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,927 Posts
MikE2 said:
The 203 is awesome. I would never want part time 4 wheel drive again after having that. I wish I could order new trucks that way
Yeah, it's fine and dandy until that chain stetches and you can't get the truck to move until you figure out how the damn thing works. I wasn't too impressed.

I think I'll stick with the swap to the gear driven 205.

·
Premium Member
4,172 Posts
MikE2 said:
Then you probably have the 205.
Do you have a CV joint on the front drive shaft, if yes, it might be a 203, if no, its a 205.
? Every 78 and 79 Bronco (and the various 77, 78 and 79 F-150s and F-250s too, for that matter) that I have owned have had a front CV and a 205.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
bmc69 said:
? Every 78 and 79 Bronco (and the various 77, 78 and 79 F-150s and F-250s too, for that matter) that I have owned have had a front CV and a 205.
Thats why I said it might be. I have seen a few with the CV and a 205 also. But if it does not have the CV it is definitely a 205

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
OK the next easiest place to tell what you have not counting the fact the blue and silver tag says NP-203, is on the back in the pic that Mels posted if it was a 205 it will have a small round cover with 3 bolts in it in between the big covers.

·
Reverend Trick Playa
993 Posts
this might sound like a stupid suggestion....but did you look at the front hubs? No lever to lock 'em....AWD 203, selectable "Lock" to "Free"=205. I know there are probably some people that have a selectable 203 or even a FT 205, AND I'm not an expert on it, so I'm offering the at a glance dummy's way.:thumbup :toothless :thumbup

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,927 Posts
Dawg Bones said:
this might sound like a stupid suggestion....but did you look at the front hubs? No lever to lock 'em....AWD 203, selectable "Lock" to "Free"=205. I know there are probably some people that have a selectable 203 or even a FT 205, AND I'm not an expert on it, so I'm offering the at a glance dummy's way.
If someone had converted a 203 to PT it'll have locking hubs up front, so that's not always true. When I got Brutus it had manual hubs with a 203. I think somebody thought they could put the hubs in and make it part time without doing the conversion to the inside of the t-case.

·
Reverend Trick Playa
993 Posts
See told ya!!! Did they have stock 203 w/ selectable though.........:goodfinge

and if they did then Mels can:twak me and the next time I see her it'll be:box0715: .....me of course taking the ass kickin.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts