Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always heard that the factory Motorcraft 2150(?) is a very good carb offroad and mine has done well so far. However, I am planning to go 4 barrel and want a comparison of the factory carb vs the edelbrock 1406 with the offroad kit. I know about qjets, TA's, etc. probably being better but I'm interested in comparing these 2 at this time. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
are you mainly on the street or offraoding some?

if off roading any i would suggest getting something else, if you are on the street mostly then it won't ba a bad carb.

·
o[|||]o
11,147 Posts
The stock motorcraft on my 351W was WAY better offroad than my Edelbrock performer 1411 on the 460. I have since switched to a Qjet.

·
o[|||]o
11,147 Posts
MudHead said:
Whats a Qjet and can somebody give me a link?
Quadrajet. Google it for more links than you can count :toothless

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tried the 1406 without the offroad kit, it sucked. I have since upgraded and it isn't much better. I like it on the street but having my truck stall offroad at funky angles isn't fun.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Yep, kits or not, the 1406 carb pretty much sucks offroad. I am definitely gonna go with a Q-Jet or back to the stock 2150.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input! I got an old Qjet that I think I'll try if I can find a decent manifold and adapter somewhere near by. I'd like to find a used Edelbrock performer 400.

Thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
hcyoung said:
Thanks for the input! I got an old Qjet that I think I'll try if I can find a decent manifold and adapter somewhere near by. I'd like to find a used Edelbrock performer 400.

Thanks!
I have an Edelbrock Streetmaster 400 intake off of the 351M I ripped out of my bronco. It's similar to the current Torker manifold if you're interested.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks 1ole4d but I don't think that is probably the best intake for my application. I may know someone who may be interested and I'll pass it on.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I like my 1406 w/offroad kit. I never have any issues whether playing in the woods, or at the steeps on the dunes. But i also have an electric fuel pump. After seein g what mine has done, we've put them on 4 other motors in various 4x's

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
why not go for a truck avenger??

·
o[|||]o
11,147 Posts
Big Wurmb said:
why not go for a truck avenger??
According to most reports (I can't vouch, haven't had mine out yet since the change), the Qjet runs just as good if not better anyway.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
excuse my newbizum but ya have a link or somthing discribing the qjets?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts