Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still throwing the idea around of buying my 1st welder, and learning. It's something I've wanted to do for a while, and now that I've got some extra $$$, it's more of a reality.

I've seen alot of guys say "just start with a 220v". Well, I live in apartments, and the only 220v is in the laundry room.

Is it safe to snake a 220v extension cord through my place, or is it a fire waiting to happen?

At this point we're probably talking about '50 or less. to get it from inside to a safe distance outside.

Should I even be considering it, or not?

Here's where my curiosity started: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497251

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,856 Posts
I wouldn't worry as much about the extension cord as your house wiring. How old is it and how much power can it handle.

If you get a 175 amp or so MIG I would think you would be OK since they only need 20 amps at 220.

Me, I added a panel in my garage that included the 220 plug plus 2 110 lines for lights and plugs. I spent a lot of time learning before I did it and all works great.

Just a couple weeks ago I made a 220 extension cord. 23' with 10-3 flexable wire. I can now move my Millermatic 175 anywhere in the garage or driveway.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Beater is guiding you on the right track.

I'm using 6/3 to run 50AMPS to a 220v stick welder 40 feet away. It is fed by a 60AMP breaker installed to run a (monster) central A/C system. . . . this is a big house.

See? The first real question is; what will your welder need in terms of amperage?

The apartment wiring may well dictate the welder you buy.

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
I made a big extenstion cord to get to my 220 outlet i had installed in the back of my shop by hte circuit breaker, to the front of my shop/driveway area, i think i got 25-35', something like that..no problems at all, as long as you go with big welding wire as they're heavily insulated...as long as your power source can handle the load, you should be good :thumbup

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Yeah you could do that no problem at all. Get a 6 gauge cord 50 feet long. Probably run you around $250

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
you got your own laundry room? or are you talkin about runnin the cord to the complex's laundry room? cause the landlords might not be to keen on that.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
or you could make a 240 cord out of two 120 plugs that are on opposite phases.
Might trip one of the breakers though

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah you could do that no problem at all. Get a 6 gauge cord 50 feet long. Probably run you around $250
I'll have to start looking around.

you got your own laundry room? or are you talkin about runnin the cord to the complex's laundry room? cause the landlords might not be to keen on that.
We've got our own laundry room.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
You should be fine with the extension. I ran my Lincoln AC-225 buzz box off of my dryer outlet at the end of a 30' extension cord for years. FYI, I made mine, but you can buy them at National Welders if you're not trusting your electrical fab skills.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Bought mine online for $115 for my Lincoln 175. 50 foot of 8/3 with molded ends. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

Jared

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
I wanna say i used 1/0 or something welding wire i got from the welding shop..then got the ends from the wholesale electrician place in town...i wanna say it cost me a 1-2$ a foot MAX on the wire? i use it to run my compressor and my welder..no problems whatsoever

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
I wanna look at putting one together 1st, but if for some reason I wuss out, I'll look at National Welders.

Thanks for the tip.:beer
Just go get some wire from Home Depot, and a plug that will fit into the receptacle you are going to plug the welder into. Then get a receptacle that the welder will plug into, and put it in a stainless steel box, and wire up the cable between it. Its very simple and saves you alot of money.

·
press ALT+F4
4,279 Posts
I can give you an electrician's point of view about this:
First thing to do is find out how much power the welding machine requires. An example would be my 180 amp welder runs on 220V at 25 amps max. So a 30 amp circuit is very good for this machine, and the minimum size cord for an extension cord would be 10 gauge, and it would be fine for up to 50 ft.

Most important thing: The cord needs to be sized for the outlet you plug it into, and the circuit breaker that is protecting it.

The code permits the use of a breaker up to twice the amps of the welding machine but this is neither cost effective nor practical, since the wire MUST be sized for the breaker and copper isn't exactly cheap right now.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I can give you an electrician's point of view about this:
First thing to do is find out how much power the welding machine requires. An example would be my 180 amp welder runs on 220V at 25 amps max. So a 30 amp circuit is very good for this machine, and the minimum size cord for an extension cord would be 10 gauge, and it would be fine for up to 50 ft.

Most important thing: The cord needs to be sized for the outlet you plug it into, and the circuit breaker that is protecting it.

The code permits the use of a breaker up to twice the amps of the welding machine but this is neither cost effective nor practical, since the wire MUST be sized for the breaker and copper isn't exactly cheap right now.
And then what ever is the "safe" wire size, go to the next size up otherwise the welder looses penetration power as you get the arc shorter.
Its like you try to get a hot arc, but the welder looses amperage. So back off with the arc to get the power back, and it still welds like shit because the arc is too long

---------------------------
and I forgot to mention, the cord I bought was 6-4 because I got 4 prong plugs on everything, not 3. The 3 conductor wire is probably 75% the price that I was talking about

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,856 Posts
This is the one I just put together. My dad gave me the female end. I got the male end at HD for about $10. they were out of 10/3 twised so I went to Lowes and got 23' (end of roll only charged me for 20') for about $40.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts