Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched all over and could find any info. I need a welder that I can do pretty heavy work with, such as costom suspension and sas with I have about 700 to 800 to spend. I would like a 220v this will be my first welder and I dont having welding skills.

-thanks for the help

·
Registered
134 Posts
i bought a clarke mig set-up that will weld steel up to 1/2" with gas or flux core . It also welds aluminium . Its 220v and has a 100% duty cycle , i think i paid like 380 bucks for it minus the bottle . I did have to replace the wire liner thoght , but cant complain

·
Registered
538 Posts
Most of the welders I see at work use Miller brand. I have seen a few lincoln too but mostly miller.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do you know how thick of steel the clarke can cut

·
Registered
134 Posts
its a mig set up , i was not aware of it being able to cut , but in my opinion it is the easiest form of welding for a beginner

·
Registered
490 Posts
for cutting your gonna need an oxy-acetalyn welder (sp) aka plasma torch, they can cut thick stuff

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
If you want wire feed, the Hobart 175 is well within your budget and the most bang for the buck.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
TTBlows said:
If you want wire feed, the Hobart 175 is well within your budget and the most bang for the buck.
yep, $499 for a real smoking deal:thumbup

Buttttttt....they are now a 180, 175's were discontinued last year KL. Will be about $550 IIRC as a good deal. Many places though are close to $600.

This is a great unit for a beginner, I know from experience.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Konham said:
for cutting your gonna need an oxy-acetalyn welder (sp) aka plasma torch, they can cut thick stuff
An oxyacetylene torch is definitely not a.k.a. a plasma torch. They're very different things. :duh

Oxyacetylene is fairly cheap, you can get yourself a good setup with decent sized bottles that will last you a while for several hundred dollars. Plasma starts at over $1k and goes up from there for anything that isn't total crap. Either will cut steel fine, though plasma is a little cleaner. Oxy-acetylene torch can be used to heat things you want to bend, and is generally about 100x more versatile than plasma, it's just that plasma makes a much nicer cut.

Or, if you're on a budget, get yourself a $20-30 14" abrasive chop saw, and a $20 angle grinder, and buy some cutoff disks for the angle grinder. I've built a fair amount of stuff with my $20 Homier chop saw, and so far it's held up suprisingly well.

·
Call Me Ace
1,953 Posts
we use oxi-ace. torches in the welding shop at my school. its not the cleanest cut, but like it was said before, they are much more versitile.
if you want something to look good- get a 10" grinder and go at the edges... we do it- it looks pretty good.
just my two cents,
ace

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you want a Miller or Lincoln for that money you'll probably need to buy used, and a good used machine goes quickly. You get what you pay for with the Hobarts and so on. My grandfather had a well drilling business and my experience is that most of the pipeline/driller guys (like my Dad) run Lincolns. I have used both and personally have a Miller DVI. I like them both. I'm not a salesman, but I can tell my Miller runs on 110 or 230, all you do is put on a different twist on plug, and it runs well on 110, little longer duty cycle on 230.

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
I gotta say the Hobart 1...whatever handler is probably the best for the money. I use a Clarke 185 at home and it works fine. I got a killer deal on it at a scratch-n-dent sale at the welding supply (299).
For cutting it's hard to beat a decent OA setup. No wires or tricks, just good old fire.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Did you try calling a welding supply store and asking them what they think and if any sales are going on or coming up? Also oxy acetaline is no where near the same as plasma...night and day as far as price and quality.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts