Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured after being on the site for close to 17 years it was time to start a build thread..Sure I've got posts all over creation, but I was thinking it would be cool to get it as much of it as I can in one place. This will be a work in progress, I'll link to old threads, including the changes my Bronco went through over the years, what mods I liked what I didn't. It's interesting because as time has passed how I've used the Bronco has changed..started as a daily driver, then mud rig, then camping/off road rig..She's been able to adapt to my changing needs and that's pretty cool..

In the beginning, it was a 1992 XLT with a 5.0/E4OD and push button transfer case, oxford white with the blue cloth interior, with about 52K on the clock in late '96...

Now, she has a 5.8, MAF swap, manual transfer case, solid front axle, front and rear lockers, 37 inch tires and on and on and on..If I even tried to add up the amount of money I've spent over the years, it would easily fall into the 10's of thousands, not including the purchase price, but I'd say it's been worth every penny, for the most part..

Closing in on 30 years, and for all the problems I've had, I can't really ever see myself getting rid of it..I'll either die or the Bronco will crumble into a pile of rust..not sure which will come first. Like I said, I'll add pics and links to any good threads I may have previously started..the MAF swap and my SAS build are great reads (just kidding), who knows maybe some new people will find some useful info in them.

It's funny because I told someone the other day that I've probably forgotten more about Broncos then I what I know today..that's why it's great to have FSB..

Early, circa 2003..

Today..

·
Registered
92 5.0, work in progress
19 Posts
Dude, most awesome. I’m following the same path on my 92...... with the build, anyways. Keep posting any upgrades, tips and tricks! 👍🏻

·
Registered
86 BKO orig-5.0efi swap to 91 5.8efi w/AOD longtube w/2.5in to 3in hiflo cat 3in hp shorty flomaster
68 Posts
be interested to see a photo of the front bumper some time...

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
First thought was to put the mods/upgrades in the order I did them, but that didn't really make much sense. For instance, I installed a set of sliders well before I ever had a need for them. For the sake of the thread, I'll combine like mods, so drive train, i.e. engine, tranny, transfer case, axles, followed by exhaust, then armor/protection/recovery and so on and so forth.

Noticed a lot of the old threads were missing pictures. Fortunately, I have most of them on my supermotors site, so I'll update where I can and provide links. There's a lot of content, some of my earlier posts don't go in to great detail, but it's good for an overall reference point. It's going to take some time to get everything linked up and I plan to add posts on the things I'm working on at any given point in time, because if there's one thing anyone who owns a Bronco knows, you never stop wrenching on them..

Drivetrain
Engine - 351W bored .040,(rebuild thread) MAF conversion (WAY1 EEC) and Tweecer tuned
Transmission - E4OD with transgo tugger extreme duty shift kit
Transfer case - Borg Warner 13-56 manual shift
Axles - Front, solid dana44 with 4.56 gears and detroit trutrac, rear, Ford 8.8 with 4.56 gears and full detroit locker
Warn premium lockouts

Tires
Toyo Open Country MT 37x14.50x15

Exhaust - see thread here
BBK ceramic coated shorty headers
bassani y-pipe
3 inch exhuast, mangnaflow 3 way cat, magnaflow muffler
Exhaust clip -

Armor/body protection and recovery
Front TJM aluminum bull bumper (no they don't make these any more)
9K badlands winch with masterpull synthetic line
Rear custom tube bumper with recovery points
Custom transfer case skid plate by buildworxfab
Other - custom rock sliders
Onboard air, viar system

Interior
Tuffy center console
Factory roll bar
Superhide seat covers
Herculined flooring

Electrical
3G alternator upgrade
battery cable upgrade
x2 Power dual purpose battery
Cooling
3 core aluminum radiator
B&M tranny cooler

Other mods
Saginaw power steering pump swap
Redhead steering gear swap
Borgeson steering shaft install

Softopper soft top

Body/rust repair, fender trimming and paint

Misc Mods
Traxion tailgate ladder

Other threads
Rethinking my SAS - long and winding thread over the course of several years getting my SAS sorted out..Granted I did my SAS over 15 years ago, but there's still some decent info for anyone considering going that route.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I always loved those front bumpers :cool:
Yeah they're nice..I like the fact that it's aluminum so it's super lightweight but it's still held up well.

Reactions: miesk5

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
PSOM repair
Sent my PSOM out for repair this week. The odo was so worn out I couldn't see the #'s on it, and the speed would waiver every now and then. Anyway, found a local company who R&R's PSOMs and sent it off to them, just got it back today. The guy replaced any suspect parts..Just waiting for the LED cluster bulbs to arrive and I'll get everything put back together.

1611693999096.png
1611694068272.png

Reactions: reptillikus

·
September 15 FOTM
1,498 Posts
PSOM repair
Sent my PSOM out for repair this week. The odo was so worn out I couldn't see the #'s on it, and the speed would waiver every now and then. Anyway, found a local company who R&R's PSOMs and sent it off to them, just got it back today. The guy replaced any suspect parts..Just waiting for the LED cluster bulbs to arrive and I'll get everything put back together.

View attachment 173713
View attachment 173714
What did that cost you? My f250s tach won't go past 2 the odo is on its way out and I just had a light burn out

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1992 XLT w/302 on 33s
10 Posts
Well I knew that truck looked familiar. Used to see it at the gym years ago. Even talked to you about it a couple times. I recently got my 92 back after being separated for 13 years, fate and Craigslist. If you're still in the N FL area and see the faded red and gray with black top 92 around, say hey.

Your truck is still awesome btw

·
Registered
1987 Ford Bronco, beefed up 351w, JBG HD rear springs, JBG 4” coil, 10.25 rear posi, Dana 44 posi
274 Posts
Crazy how you’ve been on this fourm as long as I’ve been alive. Nice looking bronco though.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I knew that truck looked familiar. Used to see it at the gym years ago. Even talked to you about it a couple times. I recently got my 92 back after being separated for 13 years, fate and Craigslist. If you're still in the N FL area and see the faded red and gray with black top 92 around, say hey.

Your truck is still awesome btw
Thanks @curtisdeal52.. Small world. Which gym, Baileys in Mandarin or Planet Fitness?? If it was Baileys, that was years ago. I still go to the planet fitness on Old St. Aug..I live in Mandarin not far from Loretto and San Jose..your Bronco sounds familiar, I don't see as many around as I used to, so when I do, they stand out.. where in town are you?

Crazy how you’ve been on this fourm as long as I’ve been alive. Nice looking bronco though.
Thanks @GriffinB..that makes me feel really old..

Reactions: GriffinB

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,811 Posts

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good find, i just swapped the PSOM in my green bronco because it was causing transmission issues. Did it come back with the same calibration? And what about lockout count?
Good question..I'm assuming the calibration is the same and the lockout count was as it was before, but it's actually probably worth giving them a call to find out for sure.

·
Registered
1992 XLT w/302 on 33s
10 Posts
It was Bailey's, I haven't gone in a couple years either. Moved to fruit cove a few years ago, but still running around Mandarin. There are so few around that I see the same 4 or 5 and that's it. And one of those is mine and another is my dad's.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LEDs installed in the cluster..so much better..

1611837218711.png

·
Registered
1995 , sas, L&L ladder bars, 37/14.50/15 Toyos , 9 inch lift
111 Posts
It's definitely is a small world. We used to be neighbors in Natures Hammock. I chatted with you a couple times about 13-14 years ago . My bronco then went from white to Orange. I ended up parting with it 9 years ago and looked for it ever since. Finally found it and bought it January 2020. I've done a ton of work since. I passed you in it on old Saint Augustine rd a few weeks ago and waived. My fiance cracked up. Two aeronose white broncos on 37 Toyos passing each other. Lol... Will have to get together sometime.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's definitely is a small world. We used to be neighbors in Natures Hammock. I chatted with you a couple times about 13-14 years ago . My bronco then went from white to Orange. I ended up parting with it 9 years ago and looked for it ever since. Finally found it and bought it January 2020. I've done a ton of work since. I passed you in it on old Saint Augustine rd a few weeks ago and waived. My fiance cracked up. Two aeronose white broncos on 37 Toyos passing each other. Lol... Will have to get together sometime.
You mean Cypress Hammock..man that was a long time ago..heck, we moved in 2005...That's too funny, I remember seeing you going the other way on Old. St. Aug..was thinking that's a nice Bronco....Yeah, we definitely need to meet up at some point. I'm around I'll DM you my cell.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts