Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently built a 460 for my bronco, and I have about 150 miles on it. I always use to use chevron delo 15w 40 diesel oil because of all of the additives in my engines but even they have removed the additives. My machine shop had me use joe gibs breakin oil, and they recommended that I use joe gibs motor oil as well. Its like $7.50 a quart for that stuff. They said that I could also use valvoline racing oil because it still contains the additives. I could only find it in straight 50 weight or 20w 50. I use to use 20w50 on my old worn out 400 to help maintain oil pressure but what are your thoughts on useing it in a new motor. BTW Im running a high volume pump. Thanks and sorry for the long post.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,192 Posts
after it's broken in just use 10w30 mobil 1 and you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
my next engine I build will be a full roller then all of the additives are not needed in the oil like the older engines require.

·
Registered
461 Posts
It's ZDDP you're after, The Porsche guys are big fans of Brad Penn. You'll have to find a local dealer but it's cheap and very good.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
You can also use a bottle of comp cams break in additive each change & run the Valvoline 10W-40 as before.

·
AKA: Butthead
2,857 Posts
Last I read, the 50wt oils were still exempt.
So I use 15w-50 Mobile1.

Walmart took all their 50wt oils off the shelf.
There are a lot powerful people in this world
that'd like to see every vehicle older than
about 5 years old, crushed, those that own
Walmart are part of that crowd it seems.

Is it still a "conspiracy theory" if it's true? :)

Alvin in AZ

·
Registered
461 Posts
Is it still a "conspiracy theory" if it's true? :)
I'm fairly close to a company that does business with WalMart. They like to move product. Something tells me the Valvoline racing oil isn't flying off the shelves. If it was, it would be there; the corporate entity doesn't give two shits about anything except margins. You see less oils with high ZDDP levels because there are less flat-tappet engines that require it and even fewer people who care either way.

Find a Brad Penn dealer and rejoice.

·
AKA: Butthead
2,857 Posts
I'm fairly close to a company that does business with WalMart. They like to
move product. Something tells me the Valvoline racing oil isn't flying off the
shelves. If it was, it would be there; the corporate entity doesn't give two
shits about anything except margins. You see less oils with high ZDDP levels
because there are less flat-tappet engines that require it and even fewer
people who care either way.
Cool, glad to hear it! :)
I can take-it when it's just "market forces" at work messing up my plans. :)

No kidding about the 50wt oil being exempt tho.
Supposed to have all the ZDDP it ever had in it.

Was buying it by the 5 quart jug at Walmart, but not no more.

Alvin in AZ

·
Registered
351 Posts
Use an industrial oil for diesel engines. There's a reason why big truck motors last hundreds of thousands of miles and mildly tricked engines die quick deaths with regular motor oils.

Yes, Joe Gibbs oil is expensive but it is good.

The problem with oils is that the big three auto manufacturers came down on the oil makers because their additives that were there to make our engines last were causing the catalytic converters to get plugged up and costing them millions in warranty repairs. They forced them to take the additives out at the cost of your engines lifespan. On 99% of the cars and light trucks out there the new (un)improved oils are fine but as soon as you start demanding some performance out of them they quicky crap out and cost you big. Trust me, I've been there and won't run anything other than a diesel engine oil. Buy the pails of it at Wal-Mart and you will be OK.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My engine builder told me to either use my oil of choice with zddp additive or a racing oil which specifies a high level of zinc. I went into autozone last week and they had valvoline racing 10w-30 50% off. It says on the bottle that it has high levels of zinc for flat tappet engines. I picked up enough for two oil changes. Didn't think I could beat that deal.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also went ahead and got the valvoline racing.The 460 is awesome, by far the best thing I have done. It pulls hills now effortlessly, and Im getting better mileage than I did with the 400. Thanks for the replies and advise.

·
Registered
773 Posts
So what are your thoughts on the Lucas Oil additive? I usually run 10w30 Castrol with the lucas oil additive in my 351.

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
DON"T use 20W-50 for a new engine, I had a new 302EFI long block built in 2008 and the builder recommended that weight but after 1500-1800 miles on the break in the engine started dry starting over night so we thought it might be bad lifters but in the end they had to replace the crank, bearings, cam and lifters and I never got a honest answer as to what caused the melt down.......however they did cover cover the engine under warranty....ROYAL PITA.......

I think we all agreed here that 20W-50 is too heavy for a new motor in that it may not flow properly at start up...though it's probably great for high mileage engines for compression and oil pressure etc...but to go with what OEM suggets so now I just use regular 10W-30 and so far so good.......changing oil/filter every 3000 miles without exception.....

A machinist friend from my Trap club said that more then likely the load bearing tolorernce's may have been off and with the heavier oil not lubricating internal parts, it peeled itself down.....?

Good LUck ~ :thumbup

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
I have ran 20w50 in my 400 since I got done breaking it in.

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
It's your call, I'm just recounting my "experience" first hand....ROYAL PITA it was....just go with what the OEM suggests and you can't go wrong....

Good Luck ~

1 - 20 of 26 Posts