Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After bending my fender mounting bracket and shifting the fender back and over the door on a large rock, i decided to use a 2bigbroncos.net write up to beef up my rocker panels that i read around 6 years ago when the site was still active: http://2bigbroncos.net/technical/Andy_Rock_Guards/index.html

I used (2) 4 foot 3x3 inch x 1/8 inch thick square stock and capped the ends with 3/16 plate

there is a 3x2 channel under the doors/rocker panel and the 3x3 fits snug with 1 inch hanging below for more protection

starting point:

drilled out rockers:

1/34 inch hole saw for seat belt bolt:

checking fit:

9/16 inch holes for mounting bolts:

1/34 inch hole saw for bolt access:

3/16 inch recessed caps:

paint:

9/16 inch grade 8 hardware:

underside:

side view:

total cost for metal and hardware was $120

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks good... but i dont see why you wouldnt have just made regular sliders?

Or is it not done?
I figured this will keep the fender and rocker straight for now if i land on it. It was a cheap and easy project. I do plan on running a larger tire with the same amount of lift, im also doing a shackle flip and sas and dont want to put frame mounted sliders on untill i know what the wheel base will end up at.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Maybe see if you can find some of those plastic pop in caps to cover the holes. Yeah, if you actually use the slider they will come off, but when you aren't wheeling it will keep water and gunk out of the inside.

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,785 Posts
I like the idea of making it stronger and the 1/8" wall doesn't add a lot of weight to your bronco. Why use those bolts? I am sure you can find some carraige bolts. Why even bolt it at all? I would have stitch welded it in.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why did you cap the ends but left those holes open on the bottom?
The ends will crush if not capped. I dont mud bog so im not worried about anything getting in there, though it would be cool to sleave the holes with tube.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
That's a clean look and a good install. I plan to do about the same prcoess, but using 3"-wide x 1/4" thick channel iron. It's a bit heavier, and easier to bolt up. I would be afraid to weld these to the rocker panel, since that metal is rather thin and easy to burn thru. I just finished making my rock sliders (write-up in this forum section), but still feel like the rocker inserts will add strength to the body. And when you do the SAS, shackle flip, rollcage and other mods, it gets really tight for mounting sliders to the frame. Good job, JSM84

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Looks effective....and you now have an easily accessible jacking point under the rockers.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Looks like a pretty easy way to beef up the rockers.

...$120 sounds pretty steep though. at 8' you payed about $13 / foot for the tubing and as much as $10 for the 3/16" plate...way too expensive.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Maybe see if you can find some of those plastic pop in caps to cover the holes. Yeah, if you actually use the slider they will come off, but when you aren't wheeling it will keep water and gunk out of the inside.
Home boy depot has the plastic pop caps.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like a pretty easy way to beef up the rockers.

...$120 sounds pretty steep though. at 8' you payed about $13 / foot for the tubing and as much as $10 for the 3/16" plate...way too expensive.
The metal was expensive:

$70 for the 3x3 square tube
$25 for the 3/16 plate
$25 for the grade 8 hardware

·
Registered
339 Posts
Holy jesus!

Love the idea. But for christ's sake, the wood blocks are a death wish. I hope to god you weren't laying under that. You may as well have gone this route:

·
BeastfaB
1,114 Posts
Love the idea. But for christ's sake, the wood blocks are a death wish. I hope to god you weren't laying under that. You may as well have gone this route:
:rofl:

He was just holding up the reinforcement, not the weight of the bronco.

Nice clean job man. :thumbup

·
Registered
339 Posts
doh!

:rofl:

He was just holding up the reinforcement, not the weight of the bronco.

Nice clean job man. :thumbup

I must apologize then, I didn't even notice that the wheels were on the ground. :duhYou just see so much stupid shit these days. I was too quick to judge, sorry man. :whiteflag I do like the sliders as I said.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
This pic?

Jack stands worked for me when installing my sliders. While the photo appears to show the tires are on the ground, and the blocks are only used to support the weight of the metal, it does look a wee bit unsafe. Not saying that I haven't done something similar in the past, JSM84

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/315052/fullsize/framerestore16.jpg

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This pic?

Jack stands worked for me when installing my sliders. While the photo appears to show the tires are on the ground, and the blocks are only used to support the weight of the metal, it does look a wee bit unsafe. Not saying that I haven't done something similar in the past, JSM84

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/315052/fullsize/framerestore16.jpg
It is a snug fit to get the 3x3 into the rocker channel, i used the jack to hold the metal from falling and or shifting while i drilled the holes in it. i wasnt lifting the truck what so ever, so no worries.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Have you got a chance to try these out yet? Did they sag like stated before on 2bb?
Sag? Can you elaborate? I don't see .25" channel sagging anytime soon. Mine certainly held up great.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Mark did you leave yours on? I can't remember. I think we were discussing once in a thread on keeping this on as well as the newer style, but separating them with bushings? That sound familiar to you?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts