Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Bronco crawler, 85 Bronco dormant baja build, 93 Bronco cruiser, 05 F150 supercharged 5.4 tow rig
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the fuzzy pics, but it's dark and this capture card is crapola... it's getting replaced monday.

I had just unhooked from my brother's car that I pulled home after it died about 2 miles from the house, which I did in 2LO (hubs unlocked). My truck usually feels like a slug on the road, so whenever I'm in low range I like to play a little bit. During a temporary loss of sanity, I took off in 1st gear with some sweet acceleration, then threw the shifter into 2, but instead of the tire chirp I expected, forward motion ceased and I heard a loud bang following by lots of clanking. A snapped driveshaft was the result! I get away with such abuse all the time, but apparently asphalt is not as forgiving as mud :wacko Luckily the shaft was the fall guy, I don't think I destroyed the rear end, but I'll see in the morning when I put my spare shaft on. This says something for Spicer ungreasable u-joints, all the joints appear to be fine! OOPS? :doh:

·
Only the Bronco
975 Posts
I did the same thing, execpt with a 460, and instead, I had greasable joints in mine, well, the whole CV blew apart.......

·
Registered
69 Bronco crawler, 85 Bronco dormant baja build, 93 Bronco cruiser, 05 F150 supercharged 5.4 tow rig
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good news, nothing else is broken :thumbup

i did notice that the pinion flange can rock quite a bit without the pinion moving... i don't really understand how that's possible but i'll pull it off again next week and figure it out. i think that might be why i get a clunk sometimes when i let off the gas and get back on it fast. i don't know why that was my spare shaft, it actually has no vibrations that i noticed and the double-cardan is pretty tight :toothless

i am awesome :chili:

·
Registered
741 Posts
no... this should sum it up :rockon :rockon :rockon :beer , gotta have some fun once in while

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,252 Posts
So you're saying you left your front hubs unlocked and put the t-case into low?? Interesting.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
ive used 2Lo range. hubs unlocked. no problems. i use it u grass pulling trailers and such where 4x4 would tear the grass up alot. 2Lo gets the torque without the grass getting tore up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just my .02....but wouldn't having it in 4WD tear up the grass less being that you won't have as much wheel spin?

·
College User
2,020 Posts
I had the rear yoke break once at 55mph, that was a lot of thumping. Hey any break that costs nothing to fix is just a learning experience.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts