Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
78 BRONCO RANGER XLT -351M-C6-NP203 TO 205 SWAP -9IN 3.50 REAR
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After doing the front end rebuild and getting an alignment done with a FRONT ONLY balance ---why in the hell was the rear vibrating???-It was so bad -I thought it was the driveline (shaft or u joint??)- So I had the rear tires checked and it seems that I have flat spots or cupping -when I had a guy come by and check the tread with a gauge. He asked if I rotated the tires from the front to the rear-and I said Yes I did -since they were all ready off for the front end rebuild.
So he tells me to put them back the way they were before and take it for a spin and see if it changes.. So I did what he said and put the rears back to the front -hopped in and went for boot to the gas station for gas.WOW! the vibration is now in the front!!!!- feeling it in the feet and steering wheel.
It looks like I need 2 new tires -What I have had now for the last 11 years is the M/T Baja ATZ from back then -with so little mileage on them -I guess tires go bad from sitting long periods of time -unless the front end was out just enough to contribute to this wear.Talking with some off road guys -they said that they don't like the Mickey Thompson's.Back in 2008 I was looking for a different tire other than BFGs All Terrains -because I didn't care for their knobby sidewalls for a AT tire and the fact that it seemed like every truck and SUV had them on. I wanted something different--- and then I must of saw the Bajas online.-I was happy with them and liked the look of the sidewall.Not too knobby and a bearable rumble on the road.
I just checked out the MTs new Baja ATs and of course they have a new look after all these years. Not the same as mine -and I dont care for the new look. So 2 or 4 new tires?? -I have to make a decision??. If you guys can post with pics of what AT tires youre running and are happy with .Again I'm looking for ones that arent too knobby and run too loud on the road-
(Tell me your opinons on Mickey Thompsons-GOOD OR BAD!!!)
BTW***--- SIDEBITERS (what M/T calls them ) on the sidewall are not necessary on a AT TIRE

thanks guys 馃槑 (y)

My Bajas ATZ-since about 2009
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

A Nice looking AT tire that served me fine for over 10 yrs-NO LONGER AVAILABLE馃槨馃槨馃槨(n)(n)(n)
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
:mad:
Whats up with this NEW Design???-Crappy zigzag (SIDEBITERS)on the sidewall-Why did they have to change the sidewall??
So now I would have to buy USED --if I just wanted to replace the 2 bad ones.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Unless you guys can talk me into something else

Registered
1993 F150 XLT 302 MAF A/T 4x4 2.5" Lift
Have you looked into Coopers?

Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
I鈥檒l just leave mine here (I鈥檓 a cheap azz though) $850
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Locking hubs
Automotive parking light Car Tire Wheel Vehicle

Reactions: biglog78

Registered
No experience with MT, but I have beat the snot out of BFG AT2's on my CJ and really like the Kuhmo AT51's on my Bronco.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
more pics please!!!! 馃憤 馃憤 馃憤

Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
General Grabber ATX would be my own pic for an A/T out of today's tires.
Have them on my 91 f-150 and also had them on a 2005 excursion. They do look like a BFG A/T, but in my opinon work better and are less money.
I say this after putting a set of BFG KO2's on my '17 f-150. Id rather have the grabber atx then those.

Premium Member
*SOLD* 1989 Eddie Bauer 5.8, C6, True Trac diffs, 4.56 gears, 4" C&T lift, 130A 3G Alt, 35" Grabbers
My last two sets on my 89 have been General Grabber AT2's. They seem to wear good, and the first set got replaced when I lifted it and went to a bigger size. Tread looks a lot like the BFG, and like said above, are priced better. I bought the first set from Tire Rack and had them installed locally, the second set came from Discount Tire. They do well on rock and trails in the southwest. Haven't had them on any off highway situations here in the Midwest yet.

Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Nitto TerraGrappler is a good tire that fits your desires. Blocky but not wild tread, good siping, smooth-ish sidewal, and good street manners.
They come in both Light Truck or Passenger car sizing. LT will be more expensive but will last longer.
Pic of fairly smooth sidewall (and also showing why I buy mud terrains)

Same exact set of tires mounted on my old van

All terrains are seeing increased use offroad in the western US. Everywhere from Baja to Moab. The side biters add a lot of traction when needed, and offer increased protection for the sidewall.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine is gonna stay on the road -dont need the aggressive tread-just looking for something simple

Premium Member
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
I can't recommend an A/T as I don't have any, but you asked about Mickey Thompson tires and I can share my personal experience with that.

I have a set of Mickey Thompsons (Deegan 38 M/T) on mine and I like them. I'm sure they are a cheap tire compared to some of the more popular tires out there, but I haven't had any problems so far. They are my first M/T, so I can't compare them to others, but they seem pretty quiet for an M/T and that's what other reviews, from people who have used other M/Ts, have said about them.

As far as balancing, these were balanced from the place I ordered them from online (ntwonline) and I haven't had them rebalanced since they arrived (3 years or so?). I did notice that they had to put a butt load of wheel weights on the rims to balance them though.

I admittedly got the tires and wheels I did because of their lower price and because of the narrower cross sectional width of the tires compared to other 35's as I was trying to keep things from rubbing with no lift or cutting, which worked out. Not all 35x12.50 are the same width or height, go figure.

The side lugs probably aren't needed on most tires as I doubt the majority of people go off road with them and they just like the aggressive look. If you lower the pressure a bit and get the tires a little squishy, they will certainly grip on rocks and whatnot though, which is nice.

Anyway, I hope you find a set of tires to your liking whether they are Mickey Thompsons or something else!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can't recommend an A/T as I don't have any, but you asked about Mickey Thompson tires and I can share my personal experience with that.

I have a set of Mickey Thompsons (Deegan 38 M/T) on mine and I like them. I'm sure they are a cheap tire compared to some of the more popular tires out there, but I haven't had any problems so far. They are my first M/T, so I can't compare them to others, but they seem pretty quiet for an M/T and that's what other reviews, from people who have used other M/Ts, have said about them.

As far as balancing, these were balanced from the place I ordered them from online (ntwonline) and I haven't had them rebalanced since they arrived (3 years or so?). I did notice that they had to put a butt load of wheel weights on the rims to balance them though.

I admittedly got the tires and wheels I did because of their lower price and because of the narrower cross sectional width of the tires compared to other 35's as I was trying to keep things from rubbing with no lift or cutting, which worked out. Not all 35x12.50 are the same width or height, go figure.

The side lugs probably aren't needed on most tires as I doubt the majority of people go off road with them and they just like the aggressive look. If you lower the pressure a bit and get the tires a little squishy, they will certainly grip on rocks and whatnot though, which is nice.

Anyway, I hope you find a set of tires to your liking whether they are Mickey Thompsons or something else!
Thanks Doose'- For some reason there is something about MTs that I like- but its those darn sidebiters that I dont care for . They aren't too bad at all -thanks but I think I'm leaning a bit more towards those Cooper Discoverers shown above by 馃憤 馃憤RockinHorse

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Registered
1988 XLT 5.0L, C6 trans, BW1356 transfer case manually shift with manual stock hubs
I bought the Yokohama geolander mt.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Registered
1988 XLT 5.0L, C6 trans, BW1356 transfer case manually shift with manual stock hubs
Or I just bought these for my Titan. Firestone destination xt.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Registered
I work for a Rock Quarry/Asphalt/Readymix company. We run Coopers on all our work trucks. They seem to be the best bang for the buck. When its raining, they do their job in the quarry, and hold up well to the abuse our guys put on the pickups. On a personal level, my family has had coopers on our South Texas hunting jeep for the last 5yrs and never had a flat.

Registered
1979 bronco
I have ran bfg at2's on a few of my trucks. Enough tire to do good off road and in the snow. But also have good road manners

1 - 20 of 22 Posts