Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

2WD Grinding in reverse

3K views 57 replies 6 participants last post by  AbandonedBronco 
#1 ·
My 86 full size Bronco is grinding in reverse and park slips. This only occurs in 2wd, 4hi. 4low is fine. I believe that the problem is my t-case. My truck has been sitting for awhile due to the driver side front wheel spacer breaking which cause me to dig the front end in the ground. Impact was hard enough to bend stock radius arm and curled radius arm drop bracket into drive shaft and make my tranny drain all th fuild. Since then I’ve replace transmission pan gasket(fixed the leak), replaced the drop brackets with superlift super runner arms. And the superlift steering kit( cause why not). I just started driving my truck again maybe 100miles and no park and bad grinding nosies in 2wd also has a burning smell but my fuild is perfect as I just replaced it. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

#6 ·
would a rebuild kit from broncograveyard.com fix my problem? id like to buy a used one then rebuild broken one to eventually put back in. 1000$ for a already refurbished np208 seems outrageous to me, id rather rebuild it myself and get a used one in mean time to boot scoot n boogie

#18 · (Edited)
The symptoms would lead me to believe something happened to the engagement part of that mechanism, unfortunately it is well tucked into the transmission. I could picture a rounded pawl causing your issues. The slipping when in park is a dead giveaway. If the t case slipped, it wouldn't allow you to drive at all. I don't think it's the transfer case, those typically have chain failure and stop transmitting power.

Another neat video, this may help diagnose the issue?

Another edit: research is showing that an out of adjustment shift linkage could also be part of the issue. Verify the linkage at the trans is fully engaged in park position? c-6 Transmission shift pattern - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

#25 ·
I agree with @twofortyz , definitely sounds transmission related. Try adjusting the shifter linkage first, if that doesn't work, try a find a reputable transmission shop.

#26 ·
Yo Putman911,

You wrote, "My 86 full size Bronco is grinding in reverse and park slips. This only occurs in 2wd, 4hi. 4low is fine..."
As for "park slips", when transmission is in Park, if your Bronco rolls forward or backward more than an inch or so after placing the shifter lever into “P” Park, the parking pawl may be badly worn. If your vehicle rolls more than a couple of inches, or rolls freely, after placing the shifter into Park, the parking pawl may be broken.

AllI can offer without visually inspecting and using a mechanics stethoscope with a long hose to help locate the noise; have parking pawl inspected.

Transfer Case, NP 208;
"Grinding noises coming from underneath the vehicle. When the output shaft seal breaks or wears out, it also can cause noises to appear from under the vehicle. In many cases, these noises are caused by the reduction of lubricants inside the transfer case or metal-to-metal grinding."

#28 ·
If you have to remove the transmission, I'd still recommend taking a look at your transfer case. Something's up if it's leaking that much fluid.
Pulling apart a transfer case is much, much easier than a transmission (especially an automatic).

I highly recommend busting the yoke retaining nuts off while it's still in the vehicle. It's way harder to keep it still and get the leverage on them when it's on the workbench. Been there... done that. It wasn't fun. I had to bolt it up to a spare transmission I had to keep it still. Or, of course, an impact wrench helps too.

From there, you just separate the case in half, tap out the old seals and gaskets, and tap in new ones. If you want to get in further, replace the bearings as well (which I'd recommend since it was so low on fluid). Lastly, replace the chain, and you should be good to go.

The gasket and seal kit is cheap:

The full rebuild kit isn't half bad either:

Then the chain

Lastly, if you want to be completely thorough, you can get the small parts kit (most of this stuff you can generally reuse, so it's optional):

Reactions: twofortyz
#30 ·
If the transfercase is holding park in 4wd, then you REALLY need to focus on just the transfercase. #1 symptom of a failed transfercase is a grinding noise while placing back into park when truck won't move in drive or reverse. Also, automatic transmissions rarely grind....they just slip. Manuals grind and transfercases are set up like manuals as far as gear selection therefore they will grind more often then an automatic.

#31 ·
I’ve been looking for a used c6 tranny I can throw in there while I tear down my own, ive only found one it’s actually rebuilt and it’s for a 2wd. Which I guess to convert it I’d need a 4x4 tail shaft and housing? I’m going to pull the transfer case to take a look whenever I have off, hopefully tomorrow if it’s not raining still!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.