Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bronco parts trucks with good drive train and bad body . I also have a 79 F-150 long bed 2wd. The bronco is also 79. The F-150 is very sweet with no rust. How hard would it be to convert it to 4x4 ? I would like the bigger engine 302 vs 351. Both are automatics. I have swapped engines before and am petty handy. Is this something that can be done with welding .
Thanks for your time. Tony

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
You're going to want everything from the Bronco - from the spring and shock hangers down. Your 2wd has 2.5" wide rear springs, and the Broncos is 3" wide, that's why. Also, get a tape measure, and start double checking all the mounting points on the Bronco, to the same approximate mounting points on the 2wd. I believe everything is a straight swap back and forth... but just in case ...

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
if it were me i would take the f-150 body, severly shorten the bed, and swap it onto the bronco frame, that would be sweet!

wes

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
wes 03 said:
if it were me i would take the f-150 body, severly shorten the bed, and swap it onto the bronco frame, that would be sweet!

wes
I was thinking the same thing...:thumbup

·
Registered
489 Posts
you'd also need to swap front crossmembers at least ... the 2wd trucks had the good old TTB (or whatever they called the 2wd version of the scissors) mounted to the front crossmember just below the engine. The 4wd has the front crossmember moved forward ahead of the engine so as to clear the front axle. It would be easier to find a 4wd truck. But the super short box idea has my vote :thumbup

·
Full to Empty 6.5 Seconds
2,579 Posts
everything they have said and you will need to buy a transfer case, put it in, buy a front driveshaft, front axle, connect the 2 together and go.

Ive seen it done to a vette before and its a royal bitch.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Tony 6839 said:
I have a bronco parts trucks with good drive train and bad body.
no need to buy a trans case or anything else 4x4 related. there was a writeup in a mag about this and it was even a 79 i think. had to be petersens or fourwheeler. AXE

1 - 15 of 15 Posts