Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 3.55 8.8 rear. the Truck seems to downshift alot when goin up hills.and a little doggish from the line.I have a 98 f250 2wd light duty 7 lug with a 4.6 and 3.73 gears this seems to be pretty good ratio.
Question if i swap a rear axle ,lock stock and barrel to a 3.73 L/S do i need to do anything to the ttb axle ratio witch is i guess stock 3.55.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
davids78bronco said:
yes, if you change gears in the rear axle, the front needs it also - especially if you ever plan on using 4wd[/QUOTE

ok it was a dumb question!!cause if i didnt 4wheel id drive my truck!!]
:eek:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no ,not takin the f250 apart.she a great truck.. Im just not happy with my 3.55 in my bronco and need to go higher numerically.but from what I understand it looks likes there wasnt a 3.73 axle in a 95 bronco

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
you can buy gears... they're cheap... it's the labor that'll cost... although, there are people here who know how to do it... or, unless YOU know how to do it...

--

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
ok.what is the next lower gear than a 3.55 and will yall help me to do it myself!???? meantime ill search :hump

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
for an 8.8 3.73's... you can get them from about any major autoparts store.. or, www.gefracing.com is where I got my gears for the 8.8

good luck.. I've never done it... I paid someone to do it... LOL

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
i'd go right to 4.10s. you have overdrive, so it'll be fine on the freeway and your truck will have some serious balls. it also leaves you open to run bigger tires in the future if you ever wanted to. i'll be running 4.10s with my 35s because its the same as 3.55s with 31s.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
:stupid Thats what I was gonna say. 3:73's won't make that big of a difference go 4:10. :thumbup

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
Blaze said:
:stupid Thats what I was gonna say. 3:73's won't make that big of a difference go 4:10. :thumbup
what do you say about 4.10's with 33's?? is there some kind of chart around? :shrug

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
Seems like there was talk of a "recomended" chart, but I don't think it ever happened. It really depends on preference but personaly I'd go with 4:10's up to 35 then I'd go up to 4:56. :shrug I don't think the Broncos should have come with anything less than 4:10's. (at least not AOD's) My .02

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
3.55 was perfect for stock 31s and no overdrive (C-6) i did some rough calculations on what gear ratio is what:

31+3.55s=33+3.73s=35+4.10s

that was on my truck which has no overdrive. if i had overdrive, i be going to at least 4.56 with 35s

·
Registered
470 Posts
Andy351 said:
i'd go right to 4.10s. you have overdrive, so it'll be fine on the freeway and your truck will have some serious balls. it also leaves you open to run bigger tires in the future if you ever wanted to. i'll be running 4.10s with my 35s because its the same as 3.55s with 31s.
4.10's with 35s is the same as 31s with 3.63s

1 - 18 of 18 Posts