Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any body put a 3" body lift on their bronco just wondering if had to make any modifacations as far as extending the steering assembuly or was just as easy as bolting it on? thanks for all your info

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
I don't have one, but you will have to figure out some wat to raise your bumpers back up to the right hieght. Usually flipping the rear brakets around and swaping sides works for the rear bumper.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
bronco freak said:
thank you for the info nothing to the steering system that you know of
Some people have to extend the steering shaft or buy a new one....a new one comes in some bodylift kits, but im unsure of which ones and which years it applies to. Someone covered it in a post, might want to try searching for it

Also if you have a manual transfer case, your shifter my require modifications, and i think the fan shroud might have to be modified (good time to put in a Electric fan)

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I have an 86. I didnt need to modify steering. But you will need to extend column shifter linkage and tcase shifter. I made my own shifter and modified a 2wd truck tunnel cover. Fan shroud will have to be cut in half. While your at it replace your body bushing with new poly ones (i used energy bushings 100 ish $) But for yours i think you have to pull a pin out in the steering shaft. It will tell you in the directions. Lemme know any other way i can help

Josh

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey josh thanks for the useful info are the vary hard to install does the shift linkage extention come with the kit?

·
Registered
496 Posts
my 90 was straight forward, just lengthen the shifter likage and rebent the manual tcase shifter. Made my own rear bumper. Front bumper is maxed to the hilt.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I had to cut the likage in half and add the 3inch piece they have in the kit. I also added some insurance by adding an extra piece of metal support

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I happened to find trans mission linkage from an 87 bronco that was about 2 1/2 inches longer so i snatched it (huh huh huh I said snatch huh huh huh) and used it. it worked well and took up a bit of slop from the linkage.I got the tcase shifter from that same 87 bronco (this linkage has it so you can unbolt the handle from the part that bolts to the tranny I used a piece of 5/8 cold rolled steel rod and made a flat spot on it and drilled 2 holes to match the 87 shifter. It looks neater and has a little more leverage and a little less throw.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
Ragged_ol_86 said:
I happened to find trans mission linkage from an 87 bronco that was about 2 1/2 inches longer so i snatched it (huh huh huh I said snatch huh huh huh) and used it. it worked well and took up a bit of slop from the linkage.I got the tcase shifter from that same 87 bronco (this linkage has it so you can unbolt the handle from the part that bolts to the tranny I used a piece of 5/8 cold rolled steel rod and made a flat spot on it and drilled 2 holes to match the 87 shifter. It looks neater and has a little more leverage and a little less throw.
Thats really good info to know....wish i hadn't let all those parts on my junk 87 go to the scrap yard now :cry

·
broncofied
1,476 Posts
magnumpi said:
Thats really good info to know....wish i hadn't let all those parts on my junk 87 go to the scrap yard now :cry
I've got 3 on the fire ant no steering mods on mine however i'm not a fan of body lifts.

Magnum if you knew how many times i've said those words:banghead

·
broncofied
1,476 Posts
BrokeCuzWheelin said:
This is like the 3rd body lift question in the last 2 weeks... wtf?
Getting popular i guess. Or maybe they got them for christmas??:toothless

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the info just one more question i already have a 4" suspension is it a good idea to put a body lift on it or not?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
i had to eather cut the floor at the shifters or do like i did and add to the shifter sticks. i too say replace the body mounts at the same time. i like my added space the lift gave me.

i found a sleave around the shift levers works best when extending them....mike

1 - 20 of 22 Posts