Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

"Dirt Alliance Prerunner example pic"

So, I'm cruising to a 3 way instersection and have to make a sharp left. Traffic is coming from the left and I romp the gas and make it into the 50MPH zone no problem.

I noticed my Bronco is tilted to the right during the turn but not enough enough to really catch my attention. As I straighten out the truck levels and I hear a loud chirp from my left front tire.

Holy crap! I was on 3 wheels and didn't even know it. The startled look on nearby drivers passing by confirmed my suspicion. What a rush!

HOWEVER<>it got me thinking though.

Besides the obvious possible roll over in the middle of the street, what else would be a negative? Believe me, I won't be going thru town trying to impress people by trying to get on 3 wheels. But I would like to know more about this subject.

Anyone got horror stories about 3 -wheeling?
Does it hurt the truck in anyway if this happens on occasion?
I know these are probably noob questions, but I learn something new about this truck constantly. Below are some video examples of what I believe my truck does on occasion.

Example1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ITiBOxspVQ&feature=related

Example2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_v6IPtOji8&feature=related

Example3 - what the what??? So an SUV can do this too???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOP_wiYEVVI&feature=related

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Won't hurt a thing! If you can hurt it doing that, then you better stay away from the dirt. Ha!! I've done it on numerous occasions. Not nearly as impressive as the picture though. Each time the tire made quite a thud when it came back to earth. Oh! And we need to see pictures, no, videos of you in action.

·
Registered
607 Posts
The best is bouncing from 2 wheels to 2 wheels, side to side. :doh0715:
Never doing that again! Talk about on the edge... of a roll over.
I accomplished such a feat in my old Bronco II, goofing off one day with some friends.

Fun Stuff!!!
That about when I opted for the FSB! :rockon
D

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Parish, the problem isn't necessarily hard on the truck But it's definitely detrimental to handling. Considering the way you drive the truck I think you'd benefit a lot from a rear sway bar. No sway bar is good for going through the rough in straight lines but sucks ass when you want to turn. The guy I met out at Pismo last Saturday recently installed a sway bar on the rear of the truck and said it was a night and day difference. He said he wished he had done it a lot sooner.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It's funny how comfortable it feels to drive on 3 wheels like that. I was driving a linked prerunner in baja, just playing around on some mud flats, turning and gassing it...having a grand old time, never feeling unsafe at all. When I pulled up next to my friend he said "holy crap, your front tire was like 3 ft. off the ground!" I never would have known. It's a lot less comfortable turning to the right, being on the low side of the car...that's no bueno.

By the way, Steve may be suggesting a sway bar, but he secretly thinks the 3-wheel action is SSSSIIIICCCCKKKK!!!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks

Thanks for the input. I may "attempt" to get some pictures of me 3 wheeling on purpose, but will be very careful. I have thought about the sway bar. Especially if it had a cool disconnect feature like some cool rock crawlers I've seen.
Anyone have pics of swaybars with the quick disconnects - sorry if that's not what they are really called. Thanks again for your input! ;)

·
Registered
349 Posts
i agree with steve a rear sway bar is key even for leafs. about 3yrs ago i was making a left turn on to Traffic way in AG from the side street the Christson motors is on goosed the gas and lifted the drives side tire. it felt like 10ft it was more like a foot. i about poohed myself and yes my POS did at one time move under its own power it was along time ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts