Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know i am goign to get flamed for this but i did search a bunch and havent found answer to all my questions, so if you can help please say what is on your mind. i have an 88 4x4 bronco with a 302, c6 and the bw transfer case. this is just a mt rig and takes me hunting and deep into the woods of wv so i need it reliable. the motor and trans has 245k, the trans leaks bad and the motor looses all oil pressure while in gear at hot when coming to a stop. a buddy offered me a van with a 300 efi and a 4 speed behind it for free. so i am thinking about putting the i6 in my bronco. it only has 72k on it and just had a new clutch put in. what all do i need to worry about, as far as motor mounts, any wireing for the gauge cluster, drive shaft length, mounting the pedals. or is it a pretty much drop in kind of swap. i dont know which 4 speed it is, the van is a 2wd late 80's model that has been taken care of. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks josh

·
crank trigger
8,150 Posts
i dont think that 2wd tranny will work for you. repair your C6 and you don't have to worry about driveshafts.
some guys have done the 302->300 swap. search around for those threads.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am working on finding out which trans is behind the 300, if the output shaft has the same spline count and maybe the bolt pattern is the same. that is something it is going to take me a bit of time to find out.

·
Super Moderator
5,015 Posts
The transmission isn't going to work without some modification unless you're looking to ditch 4 wheel drive altogether, which I don't imagine since it's for a trail rig. However, the bolt patterns for the 302 and 300 should be identical so it should just mate right up. It's more of the engine telling the transmission when to shift that you'd have to worry about.
Other than that, C6s are great auto transmissions. One of the best actually, and would be great if you can get it freshened up and working. That and you can't go wrong with a 300.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
i run a 300 and a c6 in my 89 bronco. Other than it being a little short on power. that is probably because I am running 3:55 gears and 32's. I t is a great setup. mine is stock however, as far as you question I have not a clue. you may be able to run a divorced Np205 behind the 2wd tranny. but it will take some modifications, and new drivelines

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
the four speed tranny could be a number of units. the most popular np435, then T-18/19 all of these have a low/granny gear heres some good info on them http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transmission_gateway.htm there is a 4 speed overdrive tranny but i dont know much about it. i just know it exists. the t-18/19 and 435 are the better trannies by far though. also check the sticky on tranny/t-case info at the top of this thread, or the 80-96 section...

if you were going to keep the 4speed you would need to change the output shaft of the tranny. and probably get the d-shafts altered. you,d need the hydaulic(i assume) clutch set up. you might need to get the pedal assembly and all things out of a f150-350 or bronco. and the computer too. you'll want that.

ive been considering swapping this into my 93 ranger... i dont know the size of the 18/19 or 435 to see how much modification to the firewall/floor i need.

·
Registered
78 Posts
since its a trail only rig,instead of a different tranny or divorce mounted t.case you could use the all time chain drive.it uses 2 sprockets and a chain.you can change the sprockets to get different ratios. forgot where to get em thogh i remember they were purty cheap.

·
Registered
469 Posts
i did the swap from 302/c6 to a 4 speed-

first off, determine what 4 speed you have.
its probably a t18/19 or np435

then based on novak's site determine whther or not you can bolt up a transfer case to it. your bw t case should work

you are in luck because the d shaft length of the c6 and 4 speed setup are the same and the crossmember will bolt up. good time for a new trans mount...

make sure your axle has a yoke not a flange, however thats not a big issue. hopefully you have the yoke style output.

the hardest part (which still isnt that hard) is the pedals and hydraulic clutch system. when you take it out of his van TREAT IT LIKE A TICKING BOMB. keep it in one piece, dont screw with it, youll save a lot of time bleeding believe me..i did it....burnt the line...3 times!

i was a ble to retrofit 80-86 pedals and hydraulics into my 89, i dont suggest that..... theres some ppl on this site selling the 87-91 pedals.

oh btw enjoy the newfound torque and granny first:beer

BTW if you friends van has a np435, DONT FLAT TOW IT, it ruins the gearbox quick

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I would go with the rest of the guys on the c6 idea. There is not really a cheap fix for what you are wanting. The cheapest and EASIEST way is to pull the intake from the EFI setup, get a carbed intake, carb, dist. for a carbed setup, the MSD driver, Flexplate for the I-6 and go. You will have to swap over all the electronics from the engine and will have to make a few changes (if you want to keep the check engine light and a few other things) to the wiring of the interrior.

Chris

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the great replys. i have been thinking about this a lot lately and i am 95% sure i am going to go ahead and do the swap, i am tired of this gutless 302, i know it could be freshened up which i may still do, and it may be better in front of a 4 or 5 speed. i am going to check on which 4 speed trans it is. keep the thoughts coming. josh

the pedals and hydros assembly out of the van should work on the bronco right?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i found out today that the van is an 88 efi 300, and my bronco is an 88 efi. everything is on the van, computer, wireing harness and everything. the van is drivable, just not in service anymore bc it rusted real bad and brakes went out. thanks a ton. josh

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
Considering its just a hunting rig, Id keep the C6. No clutch to burn, no stalling or farting around with the clutch - just mashing skinny pedal. I really dont think it would be worth the time to try to convert the 4 sp to 4 wd, if youre set on a manual. They arent hard to find. Youd save some cash not having to mess with the driveshafts with the C6 as well, but dont quote me, because you will be moving the engine perches.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,874 Posts
that tranny is great for towing and is a very stout unit. having the granny low allows for little clutch work while driving. the tail shaft is removable on those as well so it can easily be used for a 4wd setup. sounds like a great swap.

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
To get the tailshaft to swap out, youre going to need another tranny anyway. So bam, theres your 4 wd tranny.

·
Registered
469 Posts
( q for myself) i thought the 435 trannys were specific to 4wd/2wd, novak isnt quite clear.

so lets say i find a 2wd np435 i want to swap in. can i just use my 4wd tailshaft? damn thatd be sweet...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i may have a lead on a 4x4 man trans. the guy is checking for me. i am leaning more and more towards this swap bc i dont think it will be to difficult to do and should provide some good results for a reliable grunt mt truck. keep any thoughs coming, josh

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
to pick eveyrones brain again, are the motor mounts in the same place for the 302 and 300? where is the speedo pickup at on these broncos? i can get driveshafts made cheap, and i have access to a lift and any tools imaginable, i work on diesels a lot with the guy on this site www.midatlanticdiesel.com. all i want to work is the essentials, if i need to i will put in mechanical gauges to monitor oil pressure. if i pull this motor, is there anything i should freshen up before i drop it in the bronco? ie, gaskets, or anything problematic. thanks, josh

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
300 mounts are totally different between a 302 and a 300. the ones for a 300 sit over the crossmember and are a completely different shape.

the mount towards the front is a 300-6 mount in it's correct location, ignore the one behind it. I don't have a pic of the other though- it's even weirder shaped and covers the hole in the crossmember that the 302 oil filter sticks in.

Justin

1 - 20 of 20 Posts