Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys running the I-6 300 in trucks or broncos feel free to chime in.

I'm considering a 78 f-150 that has 4.10 gears and 35's with a manual transmission. Is it gonna be a dog???

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,250 Posts
I am running 3.08s with 33s. Pick up is fine, for a bronco. Highway speed is 65 mph at 2500 rpm. I love the 300s MPGs.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You running stick or auto?

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,881 Posts
that year truck will get around just fine with the combo youve provided. that manual tranny is geared pretty low.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
pull the bed liner out, make sure there is no rust there, swap out the drop brackets for ext radius arms there and you will have a nice truck, and i would buy it

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,538 Posts
AbandonedBronco did a 300-I6 build using a 4-barrel carb, Offy manifold and later 4.9L EFI exhaust manifold. Check his out and see what you think.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
I love my 300, one of the best motors ford ever put out. I have a 300/C4 combo and it has nothing off the line, but I have plenty of power at speed, never have a problem passing people.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I can give you example after example of 300s that are bad ass round my area, including a 2 wd mud truck sittin on 70 somethin inch tires runnin a 300 with a 4 speed, I have a couple buddies that are 300 freaks... pretty good lookin truck by the way gooo for it!

·
Registered
634 Posts
They may not be fast, but they got some damn torque! I love my 300. With the stock 3:55 gears and 33 12.50's I am getting 16 city and about 17-19 highway mpg's! I couldn't pass anyone to save my life but it runs great and will never let you down. Theres not much you can do with an EFI but with that 78 theres cams, carbs, etc. that will really make them run good. definitely beats the 12 everywhere mpg's that my 302 got me. I would buy that truck!

Although the gas mileage probably would not be as good with that low gear 4 speed. mine has a tall first gear in. At about 60 mph my bronco is running about 2300 rpms

·
Registered
634 Posts
They may not be fast, but they got some damn torque! I love my 300. With the stock 3:55 gears and 33 12.50's I am getting 16 city and about 17-19 highway mpg's! I couldn't pass anyone to save my life but it runs great and will never let you down. Theres not much you can do with an EFI but with that 78 theres cams, carbs, etc. that will really make them run good. definitely beats the 12 everywhere mpg's that my 302 got me. I would buy that truck!

Although the gas mileage probably would not be as good with that low gear 4 speed. mine has a tall first gear in. At about 60 mph my bronco is running about 2300 rpms

·
Registered
1,612 Posts

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I love my 300, one of the best motors ford ever put out. I have a 300/C4 combo and it has nothing off the line, but I have plenty of power at speed, never have a problem passing people.
I have the 300/C4 combo and I get a LOT of pick up and go....its just hwy takes a little longer...

The Ford 300 is so tough you could probably run Pennzoil in it and it still wouldn't die!
Hell, you could run it OUT of oil and itll keep going lol dont ask how I know....(wasnt me or my truck)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts