Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any fellow six cylinder junkies know if the intake/exhaust manifold assembly needs gaskets to seal to the head after removal and reinstallation? Originally it had no gaskets installed and ran fine. The rebuild kit I used years ago came with gaskets which I used. I had to remove the manifold recently and wonder if I can get away with a clean "no gasket" reinstall or if I am inviting vacuum and exhaust leaks?

TIA,
Solow

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
Yea the factory could get away with it as everything was very close to flat when built, now things could be warped ever so slightly. hell, i still can't get my stuff to seal with a gasket, but that is because of the damn hedder, which i would suggest not getting and just sticking with the effy manifolds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Operation was Successful!
Bought a nice Felpro gasket for ten bucks and slapped it in this afternoon. I took extra care to make sure all my vacuum leaks were stopped up and that the exhaust pipe connected properly to the manifold. Fired her up and she is running better than she has in a long time. I removed some of the broken factory vacuum lines and simply connected the vacuum advance directly to the intake vacuum source. That really made a difference in how the truck drives! Apparently it likes some more advance than the factory settings and hoses allow. 302 V8's are like that as well. Now all I have to do is fix the brakes and some rusty spots. This is one tough old truck. :twotu:

Thanks to all for the advice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts