Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just curious if anyone here has a 300 in their 78-79 and if so how do you like it. Have a tired 400 and I have a 300 with Offy intake, cam and efi exhaust manifolds that was going to go in my 66 f100, but plans have changed. Opinions?
Thanks guys,
Bill

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
I have a SWB 78 F-150 4x4 with the bone stock 300 six and NP-435 tranny. It's a tough engine, for sure, but no comparison to a 400 in pulling power. Mileage about the same as my 400 Bronc...it takes umpty-three HP to push theses trucks 60 mph, regardless of what is making the power and how many cylinders it has. It takes the same amount of gasoline to make 100 HP in a 300 as it does to make 100 HP in a 400.

Since you already have the 300 and yr 400 is tired..why not? Just don't expect it to be a stellar tow rig.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I have one in my 83 and love it. With the work you have done to your 300 it should have good hp and plenty of torque. I say it is an easy call.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Haven't tried one in a Bronco, but I'm rebuilding the 300 that's in my 68 F100 right now. It's a great engine, and can easily be made into a powerhouse. Check out Clifford Performance. They have a pretty simple build list that they say nets them 325HP and 418TQ from a 300 I6.

I'm in the process of rebuilding to their specs right now.

·
www.lifted4christclub.com
2,708 Posts
i say go for it, i've thought about this too, but i plan on sticking with the 351M in mine, you will need a different tranny if you put the 300 in, since you're tranny has a big block bolt pattern.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
according to his profile, his truck is a 4-speed..so he will only need the small-pattern (300/302/351W) bellhousing to mate everything up.

but...he has not been back after this, his one and only one post. ??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just been out of town, thanks for the response guys. I figured it would be a good swap but was just a little concerned about it being a dog. It has a lift with 33's on it with 3.50 gears.

·
www.lifted4christclub.com
2,708 Posts
it'll be fine with 33s, not need to swap gears, i have same set up on mine. had the same on my other bronco with 302 and 33s, plenty of power. you'll have plenty of torque with that engine, i wouldn't worry about it, now if you go bigger than 35s i would think about gears

1 - 10 of 10 Posts