Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if theres a huge difference between a 300 and a 302 and what they might be except for ones a 6 and ones an 8 cyl.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
The 300 I6 is pure TORQUE plus as he said it's friken immortal. You could run it on sand and vinegar.

·
Registered
255 Posts
From what I was told, V8s are more efficient. You get more power per cubic inch. But the 300 is indestructable. So it just depends on what you want. I think there are a lot more aftermarket part for the 302. It can also fit in a smaller space allowing for more room for emmissions crap. That is one of the reason I think the industry mostly is swiching to v8s and v6s. But I agree with lifeliberty. If you want a v8 get a 351.

·
Dead Horse
5,931 Posts
i like my 302
theres plenty of aftermarket accesories for it, since it was in mustangs too.
after a few upgrades, it will out perform at stock 351.
which, u could have a 351, add the same upgrades, and still have more power.

the 300 is a good engine. its indestructable, just doesent sound as good as a v-8.

i would never swap my 302 for a 300, i would rather have the power of a v-8. now when my 302 goes out, i might swap for a 351, but im happy with my 302

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ive got a 300 in my truck and wondering if its ok enough for big tire and a lift or am I gonna blow it up. And I do apologize if this topic is more wore out than the prom queen on prom night. Guess I need assurance for spending all this money and not knowing too much about mechanics (getting there though).Thanks again.

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
The engine will only half of your worries and/or concerns. Making sure the rest of the drivetrain is up to the stress of larger tires, is also something that HAS to be taken into consideration. I would hope you already know not to depend on the engine, alone, to move a lifted truck

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is so true, know what [email protected]#! it. Im just gonna dive in and have some fun and when I break something then Ill bore you guys with question. thanks for taking time to write thats pretty cool. everyone else that 4 wheels in my town likes Chevys. Ill get some pics up on here too!!!!!!!!!SHIT YEAH!!!!!!

·
crank trigger
8,151 Posts
REZDAWG said:
That is so true, know what [email protected]#! it. Im just gonna dive in and have some fun and when I break something then Ill bore you guys with question. thanks for taking time to write thats pretty cool. everyone else that 4 wheels in my town likes Chevys. Ill get some pics up on here too!!!!!!!!!SHIT YEAH!!!!!!
:thumbup

might as well break the stock stuff first! give em hell.

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
I swaped in a 302 in place of the 300. I would definatly not ever do that again. yes the 302 reved higher. but the 300 flat out killed the 302 in the means of torque.

the 300 is a big block minus 2 cyclinders. they can be built with lotsa power and get decent millage, thats one thing the 302 never did get.

·
Registered
531 Posts
gets better gas.. keep that I6

·
"Clever User Title Here"
2,155 Posts
rvcam said:
From what I was told, V8s are more efficient.....
Take that, and flip it around...

300 vs. 302 = almost same displacement

8 cylinders (even though smaller than the 300's) = more cylindrical surface area = more ring friction = less efficiency

There are also 2 more sets of rod bearings and the weight of the two other rods & pistons to move back and forth. Not to metion 2 more sets of valves and a more complex cooling/exaust/intake config than the inline.

Given the same displacement, I would always choose lesser no. of cylinders.

Stay with the Six!!!:rockon

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Noneof these are really valid points

Ralphenstein said:
Take that, and flip it around...

300 vs. 302 = almost same displacement

8 cylinders (even though smaller than the 300's) = more cylindrical surface area = more ring friction = less efficiency
Yeah but at the same RPM's the pistons are moving slower on the 302. Look at it this way, the 300 has 23.88" of total stroke and the 302 has 24". Its almost the same. Cylinders are the same size too. Both engines have a 4.000" bore
Ralphenstein said:
There are also 2 more sets of rod bearings and the weight of the two other rods & pistons to move back and forth.
Have you seen 300 rods? have you compared them with 302 rods? the 300 rods are way heavier and longer. The 300 crankshaft is also much heavier. A 302 crank is only like 30 pounds. The 300 is probably close to 60. So if the rotating weight really was an issue (which its not unless you run screaming fast RPM's, in fact it helps at low RPM's, just like adding a heavier flywheel), the 302 would have an advantage there.
Ralphenstein said:
Not to metion 2 more sets of valves and a more complex cooling/exaust/intake config than the inline.
How is it any more complex? and whats wrong with 2 more sets of valves? Its a very reliable part of the engine.

I have had 300 powered trucks and 302 powered and I prefer the 302 just because of the wide powerband and the high RPM's it makes power at. If you want all the power down low and none on the top the 300 is a good engine for you. In something thats always at low RPM's (like a tractor for instance) the 300 is a great choice.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.