Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i had this stuff on my old motor and it ran fine. no emisions ex egr, safc, msd 6a msd e coil,shorty headers,no cats wth 3in side pipes. now i bought this 85 up 302 ho .040 wit 1.60 rocker ,284 224 cam and it will not idle but when it does it still sounds like its skipping fuel wise bit i omed out each injector and unpluged each injector till i heard an idle drop. checked for vacuume leaks nad tried timing over and over but wont run right. above 2000 rpm its great but below that boy do i have fun trying to keep it from idleing up n down up n down.it will idle good then almost stalls and revs up and over and over till i slap the gas pedal. some times it idles great and it sounds like i have this bad as* cam but its not the cam its something else but what? my coolant blows over through the coolant resevrior till the radiator is dry. had a bad cap changed it and pressure tested the cooling system its ok but still blows over i keep having to refill it over and over so i dont over heat.cooling system was bled. not a head gasket. but i think that is due to bad timing. can any one help me with my run rough/idle problem? iac is good :banghead

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Could you have the motor wire for the 302 firing order instead of the 351W which if I recall is the firing order for the HO motors, 351W firing order.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Try the firing order for the regular 302, I got a feeling it will be good to go then.

Actually, post the firing order you are currently using.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
Out of curiosity what did the H.O. engine come out of? The IAC you got is for a Bronco right? The only reason I ask is b/c I know from experience that a Mustang one looks the same and has the same elec connector but will not idle steady. :brownbag

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its just a short block ho which has the same firing order as a 351 which were optional on the broncos soooooooooooo i need a 351 ecu because the bank injection is firing as if it was a regilar 302 and the ecu is programed for the 302 not the 351 / ho fire order. took too damn long to figure this one out . only this would happen to me.sooooo if any one has a ecu for a bronco or f150 93 351 let me know please its needed now!! brian (860)8361419

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
the wall said:
soooooooooooo i need a 351 ecu because the bank injection is firing as if it was a regilar 302 and the ecu is programed for the 302 not the 351 / ho fire order.
The injector firing order (especialy on bank fire) is unimportant. Pleanty of guys run 302 H.O. firing order cams with factory S.D. for a regular 302

This is not your problem.

You said there should be no codes, how would you know without running a self test.

Check for codes, it's free and easy.

·
Yeeeeehaw Y'all!
2,038 Posts
Gacknar said:
The injector firing order (especialy on bank fire) is unimportant. Pleanty of guys run 302 H.O. firing order cams with factory S.D. for a regular 302

This is not your problem.

You said there should be no codes, how would you know without running a self test.

Check for codes, it's free and easy.
Yep... what he said. :stupid

I've got a 302 HO in my 88 and I didn't have to do anything with the electronics.

Sure sounds like a timing/wiring issue to me?

As for codes, I had to make my computer system re-learn. But the vehicle needs to be running good enough for a 45 minute drive. Details about how to do that that can be found on Fordfuelinjection.com or searching FSB.

Check and double check the distributor position. Are you sure you're not a tooth or two off?

Double and triple check the plug wiring.

Is this a rebuilt long block? Did you put a new double roller timing chain in? Did you check the timing marks on the block?

Have you tried disconnecting the MSD box and running it with stock wiring?

Post more details about what you have done and what the results were and folks will keep chiming in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a ford racing E303(282 dur) cam in my 302HO. I had to set the idle @ 1200 rpm! That cam called for mass air only. I also had a bad surge at stoplights. Does this sound like your problem? Cams over 276 dur. usually spec the need for a 2500 stall converter. I have a Crane compucam (powermax 2020) Smooth idle & great low end torque in a HO. Or you can convert to mass air and use a stall converter. By the way, I just did a mass air conversion with homemade 3" cold air intake and I can tell a BIG difference over the S.D. system.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
You do NOT need a 351 ECM. Listen to Gak, do some more diagnosing. If you put in a 351 ECM you're gonna have worse problems because lik Gak said the firing order isn't important as far as the bank injection is concerned but if you put in a 351 ECM you'll be putting in too much fuel and it'll run rich.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
i just made this swap and the computer has nothing to do with it. did you check timing? that is what it sounds like to me.

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
sounds like either timing or a vacuum leak (a real bad one)
What about your advance on your dizzy, could be stuck

Do you pull the spout to set the initial timing??

sounds like you know a thing or 2 about engines but im just trying to give you places to look from a far

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Also are you sure the firing order is the one for the 351?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts