Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1994 XL, E40D, 5.0, rear lsd, front auto hubs
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to do some work on the flanges that connect the stock manifolds to the collector/y-pipe.
Would like to take the entire exhaust off of the car. Is that possible on jackstands without removing the crossmember?
I saw the exhaust has a clamp that will be "easy" to remove, before the muffler.
The procedure I am planning, please let me know if it should work:
Remove that clamp between the muffler and the second cat, remove the rubber holders, take down that section of the exhaust, then moving on to the whole piece of two cats and collector, remove O2 sensor, cut all 4 flange bolts at the collector/manifolds, and finally take that section off the car.

Here are some pics of the damage and what I currently have on hand:
Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part

Grey Automotive tire Twig Wood Tints and shades

Wood Table Gas Electrical tape Circle

·
Registered
92 Eddie Bauer 5.slow
86 Posts
Just chop it all and make new if those look like that. Also goodluck. Hopefully a bolt doesn’t snap in the head

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,146 Posts
Let say this, when you go to remove those collectors, one or more of those studs is going to break..with all that rust, the best bet is to just replace the whole thing..I get it if you're on a budget, but patching or fixing part of it is just going to lead to leaks..I'd be surprised if those stock manifolds aren't cracked in multiple places..definitely time for some new exhaust..

If the $$ is there, I agree with grabbing a set of shorties, but if you stick with stock, it's worth noting the factory cast iron manifolds don't use gaskets, they seal with a light coating of grease applied when they're mounted to the heads..good luck.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,146 Posts
FWIW, shorties will bolt up right to the factory location with no mods and you won't have to worry about cracking manifolds anymore.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've looked at the manifolds and I don't see any cracks but maybe they are on the interior between them and the heads. When I was looking for my exhaust leaks they seemed to come from the passenger flange and from one of the manifolds' outlet at the head.
For shorties, what are my options. I'm not looking to spend money yet since this motor smokes a lot.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hopefully a bolt doesn’t snap in the head.
Gonna blow torch the head and cool the bolts a few times before I try spinning them at all. Will also use the cutting torch for the flange bolts. Then off the truck heat up the manifold flanges a few times before spinning the bolts out. They look pretty anchored in there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.