Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
As long as it cleans up ok all 83 and up cranks should work, as long as its not an HO (its not though)

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
81Bronk36 said:
As long as it cleans up ok all 83 and up cranks should work, as long as its not an HO (its not though)
81 -- what's different with the HO? The firing order is different, but the crank throws are all the same. The difference in firing order is only swapping pairs of cylinders on the exhaust stroke with cylinders on the compression stroke, so a cam change and rewiring the spark plugs are all it takes to change the firing order ... :confused:

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
Chuck said:
81 -- what's different with the HO? The firing order is different, but the crank throws are all the same. The difference in firing order is only swapping pairs of cylinders on the exhaust stroke with cylinders on the compression stroke, so a cam change and rewiring the spark plugs are all it takes to change the firing order ... :confused:
Didnt know that.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks gentlemen. Next question: I've decided to keep the CFI 302 complete (out of the 84 LTD wagon, with an auto), and swap it into my truck because the 300 is all but dead and fuel injection is a plus. Plus I'm a "use what you have" kind of guy. I assume it's basically a bolt up deal, bolting it up to the T18 4 speed. Flywheel? Motor mounts?

I know the wiring will be the most fun part, but not worried about that...

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I wouldn't use the CFI system as is, since the throttle body that came on them is horribly restrictive, and the rest of the system isn't the best. It's a tough call, but I'd probably go carbureted before I'd run early Ford CFI (and I'm a fuel injection nut!).

Your better bet would probably be to hunt down an 87 or later engine, 302 or 300 as you prefer. I have a 302, but would go for the 300 since it's honestly a better truck engine.

Your other good alternative would be to snag a later set of multipoint EFI intake manifolds for your 302, but since the 84 had lousy heads (with very different flow characteristics) and a different cam, a factory truck speed density system won't run it worth anything. Best bet would be a mass air swap and running it off a Mustang computer, which can be done cheaply if you know where to scrounge the wiring harness and where to get a workable computer cheap (topics the board should be able to help ya a bunch on). We're doing something very similar to an 85 F-250 351W in the near term (once my cab swap is done), and have gone through the same selective scrounging process. :thumbup If you still have access to that 86 EFI 302, you can get a lot of your parts from it, including the manifolds, most of the wiring, and the fuel system.

If you do want to swap in the 302, you'll need the appropriate 50-oz flywheel or flexplate (do you have a manual or automatic?). Motor mounts themselves are different, but if I'm not mistaken I believe the six and the small blocks both use the same frame brackets -- search should clear that one up for you.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chuck said:
I wouldn't use the CFI system as is, since the throttle body that came on them is horribly restrictive, and the rest of the system isn't the best. It's a tough call, but I'd probably go carbureted before I'd run early Ford CFI (and I'm a fuel injection nut!).

Your better bet would probably be to hunt down an 87 or later engine, 302 or 300 as you prefer. I have a 302, but would go for the 300 since it's honestly a better truck engine.

Your other good alternative would be to snag a later set of multipoint EFI intake manifolds for your 302, but since the 84 had lousy heads (with very different flow characteristics) and a different cam, a factory truck speed density system won't run it worth anything. Best bet would be a mass air swap and running it off a Mustang computer, which can be done cheaply if you know where to scrounge the wiring harness and where to get a workable computer cheap (topics the board should be able to help ya a bunch on). We're doing something very similar to an 85 F-250 351W in the near term (once my cab swap is done), and have gone through the same selective scrounging process. :thumbup If you still have access to that 86 EFI 302, you can get a lot of your parts from it, including the manifolds, most of the wiring, and the fuel system.

If you do want to swap in the 302, you'll need the appropriate 50-oz flywheel or flexplate (do you have a manual or automatic?). Motor mounts themselves are different, but if I'm not mistaken I believe the six and the small blocks both use the same frame brackets -- search should clear that one up for you.
I've heard that before, but I'll use what I have, which is that. I'm not looking to smoke the tires or anything, only to crawl around the AZ desert. If it wasn't for an offroad vehicle, I'd just throw a good carb on it. But I would like to keep the FI, even if it is junk. Then when I get tired of having no power, I can do something better. :toothless

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Makes sense. As far as I know the driveability on those systems should be good as long as you aren't craving top end power. Lot simpler than the multipoint systems, too. Just need to keep it with the original heads and cam and you should be good to go, then ... :thumbup

·
Registered
52 Posts
One thing to consider on the 302 is the year of the crank. the early, pre-82 use the same harmonic balencer and share the same with the 351W. Post-82 all use the same harmonic balencer which is different from the 351W. The HO is the same as the 351W.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts