Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what the differences are between different years of Ford Bronco 302 Engines. Mainly what 302 engines will be identical to the 91 302 EFI, with E40D Transmission. I ask because I'm trying to find a junkyard engine for rebuild and I don't want to get an engine that isn't compatible. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Other than the EFI changes I can only guess that the heads could be different. I think from 87 up they all got the E7 head and this is the next best head to the GT40 head.

·
Premium Member
7,396 Posts
The differences in the Bronco engines from 87 to 96 won't be much except the 96 would be OBDII. Where it will be tricky is the various Mustang, tbird, cougar efi variations. The blocks wouldn't be a lot different though. The big thing is to decide if you want to go roller block or not.

This may be a good chance to convert to MAF if you were to find a mustang with the engine, efi with harness and computer. Then you could build it and just put in the correct cam for the fsb.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
They're all roller blocks. Some came with roller cams and others didn't but the block is the same.

·
broncofied
1,476 Posts
RTM said:
They're all roller blocks. Some came with roller cams and others didn't but the block is the same.

Un uh the 92 was roller before 92 in trucks they were flat tappet.

You'll probably want to find a mustang late model 85-up to find a roller cam 302 some crown victorias were also equipped with the engine. Or if you want to stay with the flat tappet cam seek a block with a c6AM or a C8am casting number these were the mexican cast blocks that have a higher nickel content and were better in strength they probably will not have the air injection heads yours has. Another drawback is they will have a two piece rear main seal. Your ultmate goal engine is a 92-up 302 truck engine to have the proper heads and it will have the roller cam block ready to go. This is what i used and will help you power potential greatly:rockon

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Manny, do the 92+ roller cam engines have any additional sensors or anything that would not be a direct plug and go type of thing. The reason I'm asking is because I cant afford to have my truck off the road for more than a couple of days, so I need to have an engine ready and then just swap directly, changing over alternator and small accesories. Thanks again.

·
broncofied
1,476 Posts
Big_Rig said:
Manny, do the 92+ roller cam engines have any additional sensors or anything that would not be a direct plug and go type of thing. The reason I'm asking is because I cant afford to have my truck off the road for more than a couple of days, so I need to have an engine ready and then just swap directly, changing over alternator and small accesories. Thanks again.

Ah yes you reminded me the older block do not have the port behind the intake for the knock sensor which is critical for proper timing. My motor came from advance auto back wheni had my 89' Don't do that mine wasen't what i wanted for what i'm doing i tore mine back down and built it back up after a couple of years i'm bout to do it again. If you need a good crate engine hit up oreilly's ask for a 92-96 f-150 engine with the roller cam it'll be ready to go just get the premium engine not the cheaper one you'll build it again as i did ;) this will ease the finding a block process it'll have a warrenty, and you can turn in your flat tappet block as a core and if they are like it went with me they won't catch it. Just add a set of roller rockers from ford motorsports and you'll be making more power than before for shure:rockon

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't like to buy re-built engines, I'd much rather do it myself. That way I can make sure its perfect and include all inner components I want. Not to mention create a more HP. I've only ever rebuilt chevy engines, so I really have no idea about the differences in the small block ford. Unfortunately, its not looking good for finding an engine I will be able to use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts