Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock efi 302 5.0 and e4od auto transmission. I just found a carborated 351m and c6 for 400$. Does anyone have any insight on this swap or know of a way to convert the 351m to EFI?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a stock efi 302 5.0 and e4od auto transmission. I just found a carborated 351m and c6 for 400$. Does anyone have any insight on this swap or know of a way to convert the 351m to EFI?
The 351M/400 never came EFI'd so there is no intake that you could use without doing custom stuff. Not that you couldnt make it work maybe but I doubt it could be done easily or cheaply enough to make it worth the trouble. I really like those old engines for the torque they have but if you need it to pass emissions tests I wouldnt use one.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Its either easy, or cheap, but not both.

affordable-fuel-injection.com

$1345 to switch your carbed v8 to a tbi v8.

Or you can piece together a system yourself by stealing the ecm and throttle body from a tbi equipped chevy truck and the junkyard, and then buy a painless wiring harness.

As long as you still have your catalytic converters it will more than likely pass tailpipe emissions, not sure about visual inspection though

·
Registered
159 Posts
Why would you want to use that dinosaur of an engine in your truck? If you are looking for bigger get a 351w or even a 460.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds like a big hastle to put such old technology in a truck that a 351w would "bolt up" saving you time and money in the long run, just my opinion. Seems like it would be really expensive to install one of those aftermarket TBI systems, where the ford EFI (truck SD or mustang MAF) seems superior

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Its either easy, or cheap, but not both.

affordable-fuel-injection.com

$1345 to switch your carbed v8 to a tbi v8.

that place can suck on the barrell of a shot gun. I talked to them and they flat out said I needed to have MPI from a chevy which was going to run like 3500 bucks for my 400.

I went with ford SEFI and did it myself.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Okay so the engine may be a hassle. Any input on the tranny?
The C6 is the non overdrive, non computer controlled Father of the E4OD. Your 96 version has most all the "fixes" and upgrades and is a pretty reliable unit if well maintained.

I don't even think the 351M/400 bellhousing would bolt up to the 300/302/351W.

I'd clean up the 351M/c6 and try and sell for a profit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts