Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toasted my 302 on the way to work..It was past due.
Got a JY motor today from an F150.Its EFI.Do you know if my carb intake will bolt on in place of the EFI plenum?Or are there differences in the bolt patern or the ports on the heads?:whiteflag
I gotta work for the next couple days before i can try it out and am darn anxious to know the answer:beer

·
Registered
11 Posts
yo fellas im trying to do kinda the same thing but im just converting to carb and i got a few questions.

i have an '85 f150 302 efi 4 spd.
i put a '72 long block in it not realizing that they had different firing orders. apparently they had changed to the 351 firing order in like '82ish i believe.
so what i got is the '72 long block a 4bl intake and an edelbrock 600cfm(1405) .
i guess what im asking is what else will i need to replace to make it work.

will i need a new distributor? ignition box?..........so on...

or if you have a better idea than what im planning on doing feel free.

i really wish i woulda just done more research before i started this ordeal but i was in high school and pretty dumb.
that was just over 3 years ago and i really wanna drive my truck again. i feel bad bad for her sittin in the field and all.

·
Registered
62 Posts
289 : 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
302 : 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 (Pre-82)
5.0 : 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
5.0 : 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 Truck
5.0 : 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 HO
351 : 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8
Distributor doesn't matter as long as it is the right one for the block (don't try to stuff a chebby one in there). You just have to put the wires on in the right order. Ignition and everything else shouldn't matter.

If you still have it all, put the EFI back on and sell the 1405 to buy more parts :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
if the 85 is efi and you are swapping to carb. then you will need duraspark 2 style distributor(just your basic electronic ignition) . ignition box and modify the wiring I do believe.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Totally right about the different distributor - forgot the EFI has no vacuum advance. My bad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
289 : 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
302 : 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 (Pre-82)
5.0 : 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
5.0 : 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 Truck
5.0 : 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 HO
351 : 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8
Distributor doesn't matter as long as it is the right one for the block (don't try to stuff a chebby one in there). You just have to put the wires on in the right order. Ignition and everything else shouldn't matter.

If you still have it all, put the EFI back on and sell the 1405 to buy more parts :D
so what your saying is my 72 engine/cam is compatible with the EFI?
if thats the case i feel even more stupid cuz that means i must of just timed it way off like 180 out or some thing. :doh0715:
i have it all put together with the efi still on and everything, next time im out where the truck is ill check the order of the wires and reset the timing and go from there.

i dont exactly wanna swap to a carb i just thought it was my only option.

thanks fellas

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I got out my hydro locked 302.
I took all the efi off the roller JY motor.I had to switch timing covers so that I could use my fuel pump I removed the centric from the old motor and put on the roller so the fuel pump would work.I Switched all of the brackets and pulleys over . plugged the egr ports in the back of the heads.Used my old valve covers for the PCV.The distributor from the old motor had to be used and the bottom gear from the new to old had to be installed on it.
Tomorrow ill drop it in and fire it up.
Other than that everything was a bolt on .
250 bucks and I got the entire motor with all the accessory including the efi plus the cost of gaskets i feel pretty good about it.O had to use the oil pan off the EFI motor.
:rockon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts