Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a difference between running a 86 FI 302 computer & a 92 FI 302 computer. im about finishing putting a 302 92 FI motor in my 86 FI 302 bronco & wonder if its an issue to run either computer, it looks as though the male/female conector is the same , however im running the 86 wiring loom still, is that an issue or can i simply leave the 86 computer, wiring loom, & run the 92 engine with that.

:shocked

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Nope, no difference. The later (94+) computers could have been different due to sequential injection, provisions for multiple HEGOs, the MAF, and a different EGR setup.

The 92 and 86 were both bank fire/sd computers, and I don't recall there being any difference in wiring.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Nope, no difference. The later (94+) computers could have been different due to sequential injection, provisions for multiple HEGOs, the MAF, and a different EGR setup.

The 92 and 86 were both bank fire/sd computers, and I don't recall there being any difference in wiring.
what about the 86 being a non computer controlled ECM and the 92 having the E4OD?

Also if you just swap the hard parts, IE engine and use all of the 86 EFI system you should be ok.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
what about the 86 being a non computer controlled ECM and the 92 having the E4OD?
True, I dunno why I assumed he was using a manual transmission EEC.

It won't have any ill driving effects, but you'll get the codes for the transmission not being there. Yeah, just use the 86, it'll be easier.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,857 Posts
You should run the engine with the 1986 computer and wiring if it still works.

You'll need a backup plan if the 20+ year old wiring falls apart.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, ill use the harness from the 86, the 86 computer, but ive swapped the injectors, they were a lot cleaner my my 86 ones, but if theres a problem, there pretty easy to swap if needed.
cheers

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
ok, ill use the harness from the 86, the 86 computer, but ive swapped the injectors, they were a lot cleaner my my 86 ones, but if theres a problem, there pretty easy to swap if needed.
cheers
they should both be 19 lb injectors, unless someone put bigger ones in the other bronco. same colors?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts