Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys!

i just bought myself an 87 bronco.
as far as i know, the 87 model only came with the 302, but the guy i bought it off tells me its a 351.
i've been trying to identify it, but havent been having any luck
so hopefully you guys can shed some light!

Cheers!

sorry the photos arent the best

·
Forward Some Money
5,054 Posts
Looks like the intake indicates it's a 5.0. VIN number would tell you what engine it had at manufacture. IMO pics aren't detailed enough.

Is that right hand drive??

·
Registered
'88 XLT. 2" lift, 3G, Saginaw Pump, Headers, High flow 3" cat, 3" exhaust, 6 litre tune, K&N
188 Posts
Check the stroke

I don't know the external differences since I don't have a 351, but the stroke of a 351 is 3.5" and a 302 is 3". This is easy to check by pulling a spark plug, and measuring the stroke at bottom and top of stroke with a non marring piece of coated wire.

Your photos look like my 302 btw except for the altenator bracket and the headers. You can also look at the block number, and check it against the VIN. Your owners manual will tell you what the engine code is.

Your need to yard out that filter assembly and due the KN 1042. Your master is on the other side?

·
Super Moderator
26,990 Posts
yo,I can't see where the EGR Tube is going, so;
Identification, 5.0 & 5.8 & 351; "...To determine which EFI V-8 engine you have, look closely at the EGR Tube; The 5.0L EGR Tube originates from the lower intake manifold.
The 5.8L EGR Tube originates from the exhaust manifold..."
Source: by Seattle FSB (SeattleFSB) at FSB

Identification, 5.0 & 5.8 EFI; "...EGR - They use different exhaust tubes to connect the EGR to the exhaust. The 5.0L gets exhaust from the lower intake, while the 5.8L gets exhaust from the passanger exhaust manifold. The positive ID is to measure the lower intake; 302 is aprox ~ 8 inches wide. 351 is aporx ~ 11 inches wide. The 5.0L uses squared ports and the 5.8L uses oval ports. If you get an intake from a junk yard it will have the matching fuel rail..."
Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at FSB via web.archive

More ID and Parts Break-Out Diagrams in my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=182

·
Forward Some Money
5,054 Posts
yo,I can't see where the EGR Tube is going, so;
Take a look at the 2nd pic, it looks like it does a 135 degree turn and goes to the intake (???).

The way he aligned the 4th pic, I thought the tube was cut.

I also thought the upper had 5.0 on it. Nope. "ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION".

:doh0715:

·
Super Moderator
26,990 Posts
yo,
Here is a typical 5.8 EGR tube pic..
by Bossind
EDIT; here is a thumbnail pic instead of full size

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
some got 5.0, some got electronic fuel injection.

measure the intake manifold, if it's 11 inches (around there) it's a 351.

and OP, the 300,302,351 were ALL offered in 1987. the 351 was the only one that was still carbed though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts