Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
picked up a nice 87 EB from a friend a couple weeks ago for 500 bones, Ran ok, but tranny needed rebuild (302/c6 with 284,000 miles :goodfinge) anyway it was a cali truck with ALL of the emissions junk...i bought it as a project (my daily is a chevy :toothless) and at this point everything as just about ready to come out of under the hood, andddd i bought a replacement mexican 302 longblock. plan is to build a durable daily/weekend wheeler....6" lift with 35's.

but for now...im having trouble choosing a suitable cam that wont piss off my speed density, but that i can get some more bottom end out of..... also would cam choice make a difference with the CA emmisions equipment?

Thanks!:rockon

·
Too poor for FSM
1,395 Posts
87 will be a roller ready block but wont have a roller cam IIRC
All blocks 86 and up are roller ready

·
Chillin on the Gulf Coast
1,596 Posts
Inside of the lifter valley there are 2 mounting bosses that are already drilled and tapped for the hold down spider thingy used to keep the roller cam lifters aligned. You would need to get a hold down, bolts (make sure they are not too long, if they are you will dent your cam bearings that are under the holes and mess things up), a roller camshaft and the roller lifters and links. The lifters are one of the biggest costs in installing a roller cam.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The best cam I have found is a factory for 302 H.O. It has great low end torque where our rigs need it most. Not to mention you can find the cheap and they are roller.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
i was planning on rebuilding stock heads, just anything cheap that wont piss off my efi...
Heads arent cheap, but they are were the power is, and as long as you don't go stupid big...... They will work with SD-EFI.

·
Registered
328 Posts
What emissions do you guys have in Washington? If you need to pass a sniff test, the stock E7 heads can be cleaned up some (smooth out the runners and clean up the bowls, get rid of the smog bump, gasket match, etc...). They are actually pretty good heads with lots of potential. One potential expense which isn't even 100% necessary is installing bigger valves. There's always GT40s which I'm pretty sure are emissions friendly too.

If you don't have to worry about emissions testing, the 69-75(?) 351 W heads are good. They have decent chambers and larger valves than the E7 heads. They are pretty cheap and you could probably find a set that doesn't need any major work.

Like Gacknar advised, don't go too big on the heads. Its the battle between horsepower and torque (or flat out power versus driveability). Huge heads/cam/intake will flow a lot on the top end, but the motor doesn't really come alive until way up in the RPM range. Smaller H/C/I will be awesome at lower RPM but the motor will fall flat on it's face at higher RPM.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Put in a 351w

1 - 18 of 18 Posts