Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have heard that the 351 is not as good as the 302. Is it worth it to buy a used 351 and rebuild it or just rebuild my current 302? The fact is my motor is about to give and I need help doing it. I can get a good rebuild kit for around $200, but wanted to know if there is anybody in the Livermore area that would be interested in helping me out (I buy food?) and we can try to work out a deal. Help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
HAHAHAHAAA!

all the 351 guys are going to be extremely pissed off about this thread.

I've had a 302 and a 351. They're both good motors, but i'd take my 351 over a 302 any day.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
I think it all depends on how you build them and how much time you have

·
Registered
294 Posts
I am in the process of replacing my 302 with a 351 in my 90.:beer I have a 351 in my 87.:chili: Stock 302 vs 351 take the 351.:smilie_slap If you are putting money into it you can build a 302 better than a stock 351. But you can invest that same money into a 351:thumbup

·
Registered
897 Posts
The 302, and 351's are bolth good motors. The 351 is bigger, and a bit more beefy, and would be better for a truck, but bolth are good, and bolth respond well to mods. As for rebuilding your 302?? No way your going to do it for the price of a $200 repair kit.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
MAybe a gasket kit for 200 bucks. I bought a long block built the way i wanted at precision engines out of Houston. I Would have done the same thing with a 351 but mine is a DD and i needed minimal down time on my rig.

All i know is the next motor will be qa 460 with mild cam and what not as the 302 is.

All i know is my stock 302 the way it is built is just about the same as a stock 351 maybe better

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
All i know is the next motor will be qa 460 with mild cam and what not as the 302 is.
Gotta 460 in the garage. Been working on it for about a year now, still researching the Fuel Injection end of it.

Being that right now my Bronco is my DD, i have taken my time on the build, my 351 gets horrible gas mileage, i don't want to know what this 460 is going to pull.

All i know is my stock 302 the way it is built is just about the same as a stock 351 maybe better
Then we just advance our timing we got you beat. 302 is a rock solid motor, but most of my time is pavement, i was thoroughly disgusted with how it was on the freeway, but i know how a 351 feels, so that may have been my problem.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
What about the FI are you lookin at Rob? If you want stock stuff I got pretty much the entire setup on my F250 parts truck.

Will make you a deal you can't refuse if you want it.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
What about the FI are you lookin at Rob? If you want stock stuff I got pretty much the entire setup on my F250 parts truck.

Will make you a deal you can't refuse if you want it.
lol.

i appreciate it, but with the way things are right now, unless you're paying me to take it, i can't afford it.

And the engine needs quite a bit of work prior to me even getting to the point that i have to worry about how fuel is getting to it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
okay, I think I may got it.

Yesterday, I was driving my Explorer when a 1989 F-350 Diesel pulled up next to me and it clicked. Why can't I drop the 7.3L into the Bronco? The motor mounts are all in the same place, right? I know it isn't exactly 'plug-n-play', but couldn't that actually work? Because the Centurion Broncos had a 7.3L in them, didn't they? I would love to be able to have the torque that the 7.3 has but also to make it smog exempt in CA would be great. Aren't the engin compartments between the Broncos and F-series trucks the same though? I just thought I would ask 'professionals' for some advice on this. My 302 has some serious grinding noises going on (if it stays on long enough) so regardless, that motor is junk or in serious need of a rebuild. And thanks for all the posted advice already. Thanks

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
put a new 302 in and be done

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Complete Master Kit (pistons and all) from MadDog is just under 300..re-ring kit for 200 sounds right. 800 bucks worth of machine shop work to be ready to actually install the kit and he's good to go..:histerica
Is there a website for Mad dog ?

Sixlitre

1 - 14 of 14 Posts