Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought my first Bronco, a 1995 XL with a 302 and auto. It is very clean with original paint and no rust. The 302 is a little tired with 160,000 miles on it but it runs pretty good. I just came across a 1995 F-350 auto (2 wheel drive) in a local junk yard with a 351W and only 38,000 miles on it for $700.

I would like to swap out the 302 for the 351 and was wondering what known issues I will come across? What other parts do I need from the junked F-350? Does it matter that the F-350 only has a 2 wheel drive transmission? I would appreciate any input.

Thanks.

·
Registered
370 Posts
i did the same swap a few months ago and it went very smoothly!
get the complete engine with the dist and exhaust manifolds, flywheel and harmonic balancer, it will drop right in!!
you will have to modify you exhaust down pipes a bit as the 351w is wider than the 302.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,207 Posts
out of curiosity, is the 302 MAF? If so are you planning to keep it that way, because I doubt the 351 is MAF. You wouldn't want to go backward to speed density..for what it's worth, you can run the 351 engine with the with 302 MAF EEC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know if the radiator, in the F-350 I am getting the 351W from, would be an upgrade over the one already in my 5.0 Bronco and whether or not it would be a direct fit?
Thanks

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'd just get a new radiator HD one for Bronco. radiators are cheap.

·
Registered
370 Posts
i've been running my stock 5.0 rad and has done fine so far...
course, i live in the mountains and i've not seen 85* here during the summer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 351 was from a 1995 F-350 with speed density. The engine went in fine and the Bronco 302 harness was used along with the Bronco 302 computer. Truck starts and the engine sounds like it is running fine until you try and drive the Bronco. When under a load the Bronco runs terrible and has very little power and almost no acceleration. The mechanic that did this swap said I need a computer from a 351 Bronco. The 302 computer is a F5TF-12A650-JB. Is this correct? Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,207 Posts
what is the catch code on the 302 computer? if it is WAY1 you have a MAF EEC. did you keep the engine speed density, or did you swap over the MAF stuff from the 302, if you didn't that is your problem. or if both engines were SD then you will need an EEC from a 351.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where do I find the catch code? I had a shop do the swap. The Bronco 302 was a MAF EEC and the shop switched the MAF stuff over from the 302.

what is the catch code on the 302 computer? if it is WAY1 you have a MAF EEC. did you keep the engine speed density, or did you swap over the MAF stuff from the 302, if you didn't that is your problem. or if both engines were SD then you will need an EEC from a 351.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anyone have any suggestions??? Thanks

QUOTE=shelby_69gt500;5527857]Where do I find the catch code? I had a shop do the swap. The Bronco 302 was a MAF EEC and the shop switched the MAF stuff over from the 302.[/QUOTE]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts