Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 87 bronco that has the 302 in it and i am having problems starting it. I have replaced the selinod (can't spell) on the fender and i have check the battery cables and the fuel tank is kicking on. I can start it but only if I get a screw driver and cross touch the selinod, then it cranks. So i am thinking it can be the starter. What do yall think?

·
Registered
85 Posts
If your starter turns the engine when you jump across the two big terminals of the solenoid then chances are your starter is OK. The solenoid is just a switch to complete the circuit of battery and starter. The small wires to the solenoid activate a magnet that closes the switch.You turn your key in the ignition switch and close the circuit to the magnet. Check that the solenoid is grounded ( mounted cleanly) on the side of the fender and that the small wires to it are in good shape and hooked up correctly (as in the same way they were when it last was working). If all this is good you might want to look to your ignition switch.

P.S. There is always the possibility that you got a crappy new solenoid!

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,913 Posts
If you're jumping the solenoid and it starts, then it's the solenoid. Like Steve - grsybtch - said, the solenoid just completes the circuit and the starter wouldn't work at all when you jumped it, if it was indeed the starter.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Sounds like the ignition keyswitch to me. Mine had this problem and the P.O. installed a pushbutton ignition switch. By shorting the solenoid with the screwdriver he is just completing the ignition circuit IIRC.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
Do we really need a pissing contest for such a simple problem? Either the starter relay(not solenoid even though most people call it that) is bad or it's not getting power when you turn the key. Like they said when the key is turned check to see if you have 12 VDC at the little wire on the relay. If you do have 12V then the relay is bad or you have a bad connection. If there is no voltage then it's probably either the ignition switch or the key cylinder.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well I checked some of the things that yall had mentioned. I also looked at my fuses in my fuse panel and come to find out I had 3 blown. But this didn't help with it cranking though. But there is a box or a relay I should say that makes a poping noise when i turn the key. It is next to the air filter box. My dad said that it could of got wet and or got dirty from wheeling and that could be the problem. So i wiggled the plugs and then it cranked. So i repeatally turned it off and then turned it back on and then left it alone for a hour of so and now it won't crank again. I tried the same trick but it doesn't seem to be working this time:confused: . So I guess i need to look into replacing it or something what do yall sugest.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Lou;
I had about the same thing happen to my 87 a few years ago. When you said you were moving wires around by the relays and it started working, Well mine turned out to be a loose splice connection in the wiring harness itself. Ford in it's great wisdom thought it would be a great idea to put a wire splice in the middle in the harness.
I'm not saying that this is what is wrong with yours but might be worth a check. I had to cut open my wiring harness right where the big harness branches off to go over to the fuel pump relays right by the airbox. I found mine by taking a test light and probing the wire in a few places untill I had no power and narrowed it down that way.
I would check to make sure your NSS is good first.
Hope this helps. Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts