Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im lookin to buy this gun its by century arms its a remake of the H&K Semi auto .308 rifle with the 20 round mag does anyone own one or has anyone shot one and has some reviews???????

·
Full to Empty 6.5 Seconds
2,579 Posts
Never shot that particular gun but I have had a ton of .308s and I can tell you this much...its a top notch lean mean accurate killin machine. My latest .308 a M700 VSSF topped with a 6-18x50AO. Its slowly becoming a 100yd benchgun/long range varminter. The best group that I have managed to get out of it is .396" @ 100yd, about to get better since it likes the bullet to be seated between .015" and .020" off the rifleing.

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
A friend of mine had one of those century h&k 308 it was a piece of crap welds broke on gas tube jammed all the time i couldn't hit a barn door with it he sold it and got a 308 fal h&k are great weapons century arms builds part kits Ive never Seen a good part kit weapon from century arms.:thumbupIf you want a accurate reliable semi auto 308 get a fal i own 2 of them they are amazing:twotu:

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, This gun the one in particualar was manufactured in the H&K Factory but it has an american reciever.. Ive only heard good things of how accurate they where and dependable i have a mini 14 pre ban that im selling to get this weapon.

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
Correct h&k parts usa receiver the hart of the weapon is the receiver g3 and 91 are stamped steal people have had a lot of problems with those usa receivers and century does not take the time to fix those problems if the weapon was reworked it could be ok see if they will let you shoot 20 rounds they probably wont :twotu:

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Post a link please? Id like to see....

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I like the weapon. Like it has been stated earlier you can get a stamped steel receiver or a aluminum one. It's not gas operated. The extraction and chambering are done by recoil. Leave it to those Germans to come up with something like this. It has less recoil than a AK or SKS and fires alot bigger round. I know there is a spanish version called a CETME. For alot more information check out auctionarms.com. the site rocks and you can get guns sent to any FFL for pick up (pawnshop,gundealer) for around 20 bucks. I bought a brand new 8mm german mauser for 80 bucks.

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
paul rondelli said:
I like the weapon. Like it has been stated earlier you can get a stamped steel receiver or a aluminum one. It's not gas operated. The extraction and chambering are done by recoil. Leave it to those Germans to come up with something like this. It has less recoil than a AK or SKS and fires alot bigger round. I know there is a spanish version called a CETME. For alot more information check out auctionarms.com. the site rocks and you can get guns sent to any FFL for pick up (pawnshop,gundealer) for around 20 bucks. I bought a brand new 8mm german mauser for 80 bucks.
Yes it is gas operated.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I have a CETME from century

It is my favorite gun, I can hit a skeet sized target from over 250 yds away first shot. Its a blast to shoot, and it is the reason I have the hearing of the avg 25 year old (im 18)

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
they are crap man, you want accuracy and a reasonable price, get a savage bolt and build it up, super easy. you are better off with your mini 14. if you shoot at all regularly, then it will be a complete waste of money, if you want to buy it to stick under the bed, then you are good to go. 700 are hella good, I have had alot of good experiences with a dpms 308, but it needs to be cleaned and is not cheap. but as i am sure anyone with any experiecne will tell you, you get what you pay for.

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
My mistake i was thinking of a different weapon g3 91 is not gas operated i meant to say the caulking tube not the gas tube sorry:doh0715:

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah But ruger im looking for another semi auto not bolt with a high cap mag, I just want a little higher caliber.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
rugerp89ipsc said:
they are crap man, you want accuracy and a reasonable price, get a savage bolt and build it up, super easy.
my dad bought a .308 savage bolt action last month. it had the accu trigger on it, and wow, that thing is a hair trigger. its got a secondary trigger in the middle of the main trigger. the stock is kinda cheap but its a good rifle. his came with ghost sights.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
stock is relatively easy swap. lot of good after market.

There are lots of different AK's, just like the rifle you are looking at now. If you want a good, dependable, quality rifle, you need to be prepared to drop coin and do some research on what brands are decent. There are so many brands of AK'sm half are crap.

When I was competing, I shot mainly pistol, but did shoot shotgun and rifle (3 gun mainly) I borrowed a friend's stuff until i could afford decent. It is a waste of money to get a crap product, wreck it and then try and save for quality. I borrowed a rifle and shotgun until i got mine built up. Doing the same thing with the BKO, I cannot afford what I want right now (quality) so it is gonna have to just sit tight till I can.

So, I guess it gets back down to what you plan to use the gun for, and how often you are gonna use it.

But, buy a cheap rifle, depending on what breaks, might be alot harder to fix, if possible at all, then what you really want to put up with.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Finally, a thread on here that I happen to know a little bit about...Was working at a Distributor that competed with Century...They are kinda like the Wal-Mart of the parts kits world...You're getting in about 6 months late on this type of weapon...ATF decided to enforce the state departments ruling from the 60's?? that ended up driving all the prices up on the guns that you are looking for now...Basically all the guns you are looking for are imported in as pieces of guns or imported in at customs wharehouses and then they used to cut the receivers in half, and now they have to destroy the original barrel also...Now the prices are up because you can no longer import the original barrel also...Supply goes down, prices go up...What you need to do is find your target rifle combination...AK on Arsenal reciever, FAL on Imbel reciever or DSA reciever...Good luck finding them at a decent price...try to stay clear of the Century recievers, run of the mill quality, sometimes good, sometimes bad...I strongly suggest you find a nice FAL and go with a DSA receiver, if you choose to do this, there are only a few of the gunsmiths out there that I would use to build my rifle...FAL Files.com look for a smith named Ken...He's got one hell of a reputation...I would definitely stay with the mini 14 then trade or sell for the century...FAL standard caliber was .308 and if you can find a STG-58 and Imbel reciever-you struck gold...look to spend near $800

this is the combo that I have set up...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
ruger1022 said:
Finally, a thread on here that I happen to know a little bit about...Was working at a Distributor that competed with Century...They are kinda like the Wal-Mart of the parts kits world...You're getting in about 6 months late on this type of weapon...ATF decided to enforce the state departments ruling from the 60's?? that ended up driving all the prices up on the guns that you are looking for now...Basically all the guns you are looking for are imported in as pieces of guns or imported in at customs wharehouses and then they used to cut the receivers in half, and now they have to destroy the original barrel also...Now the prices are up because you can no longer import the original barrel also...Supply goes down, prices go up...What you need to do is find your target rifle combination...AK on Arsenal reciever, FAL on Imbel reciever or DSA reciever...Good luck finding them at a decent price...try to stay clear of the Century recievers, run of the mill quality, sometimes good, sometimes bad...I strongly suggest you find a nice FAL and go with a DSA receiver, if you choose to do this, there are only a few of the gunsmiths out there that I would use to build my rifle...FAL Files.com look for a smith named Ken...He's got one hell of a reputation...I would definitely stay with the mini 14 then trade or sell for the century...FAL standard caliber was .308 and if you can find a STG-58 and Imbel reciever-you struck gold...look to spend near $800

this is the combo that I have set up...
thats a good way to go

savages are very accurate and for the money are awesome. My savage .30-06 is my second favorite gun, I said earlier that I can hit a skeet out 250 yards with a CETME, this is true, I did it first shot with no scope. But I didn't attempt it again. My savage will hit that skeet everytime unless you mess up. If he wanted the accuracy of a bolt action I dont think he would even be after a semi auto assault rifle(I may be wrong, but let me tell you when I say its accurate, its a hell of a lot more accurate than a lot of assault rifles I've shot, and I am amazed that an assault rifle could do so well) That being said if you wanted that kind of accuracy, and a decent price, get a savage hands down, if you want extreme accuracy in a assault rifle, buy a les baer AR-15 theyre probably more accurate than a stock savage.

If its between an AK or a CETME id say CETME but 7.62x39 is cheaper. The CETME is more accurate. And from what I've heard there are bad ones out there, I got mine for around 250, so it was worth the risk. Once you get out of the 300 dollar range I wouldn't say this is your best bet. And it is just about always true- you get what you pay for. You may want to reconsider.

some more cetme info- theyre a pain in the ass to clean.they may jam every once and a while if you do not lube them with rem oil before you shoot it. They get dirty very very quickly. If it does jam, do not re use the bullet no matter how good it may look. I have blown the casings in half before, and they are PITAs to extract (with out that fancy tool). It does not matter how cclean you get it, it will still fire as long as it has been slightly lubed- I clean mine once a year(I use a bore snake for the barrel after every use, but those dont do much). You can use any kind of ammo except for pakistani or indian ammo, they may cause said case splitting.

Anything else?

EDIT- I have had mine for about three years and put around 1000 rounds down range through it. I LOVE THIS GUN. You couldn't pry it from my cold dead fingers.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts