Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if a 79 f150 has a 31 spline rear? i know its a 9" but on broncogaveyard theres a few different listings for the spools.
thanks

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app.

·
Registered
208 Posts
yup it will be 31 spline, the 28s were in early broncos and cars and 35s are aftermarket

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys. i knew the 35s were aftermarket but i read somewhere that the f150s could come with either a 31 or 28 and the only way to tell was to pull the shafts, and i knew that couldnt be right.
thanks again!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also, is the front 44 a 30 spline?

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
great, thanks alot guys

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
most 4x4's were 31 spline, but only way to tell is to pull a shaft out.

oh and be prepared for the seals to leak once you slide those shafts out and back in.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i just bought the 31 spline spool. so i guess ill have to find out whenever the spool gets here and i try to install it.

ill probably change the axle seals then while the shafts are out since its a good time to do so.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
hope your changing the bearing and have a press to do that job.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Most 28 spline axles in trucks were in 2wd. ;)
true, but your looking @ 30 plus years out on the road. alot of things could have been swapped. ;)

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
as did I in my first post.

:toothless

·
OMF
2,957 Posts
well i just bought the 31 spline spool. so i guess ill have to find out whenever the spool gets here and i try to install it.

ill probably change the axle seals then while the shafts are out since its a good time to do so.
Use this as a guide to solve the leaking 9" rear end dilemma forever!!!! This is a must do if you are pulling the axle shafts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts