Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was chatting with someone and talked bout how im gonna be putting on a 4 inch lift and 33's, right now its stock with 31's...

is there gonna be a big difference in Miles per gallon with the bigger tire size and more aggressive treading?

BFG AT/KO on 15x10 Rim..

·
I have a Straight Six
3,443 Posts
Not really a significant difference. Maybe 1-2MPG.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,826 Posts
not a big difference. the main reason for the drop in MPG will be because your speedometer will be off. It will say you are going faster than you really are, which leads to less miles recorded than actually driven.

with the speedometer off it would show about 1-2 MPG. But actually would be no more than 1/2 MPG if it was reading accurately.

·
has no skidplate
4,322 Posts
you're in the wrong game if you're worried about MPG:banghead

just remember to either recalibrate the speedo or do a bit of math to recalc the MPG

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you're in the wrong game if you're worried about MPG:banghead

just remember to either recalibrate the speedo or do a bit of math to recalc the MPG
actually im trying to keep it above 10mpg lol, not to worried bout the whole MPG as long as I can keep it above 10mpg..

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,826 Posts
If you want more MPG spend some money and change out all of the fluids in your truck. Do the Sewiv/sixlitre tuneup and get a new sexy y-pipe with matching mandrel bent 3" exhaust.

Search and you will find the details.

·
Wanna see my
4,448 Posts
gearing will also help with the mpg. If you stay stock gears itll be a little less mileage but not much. Now for me, i went from 32s-35s and kept the stock gearing. Now it gets terrible gas mileage up in these hills going to work, but get it out on flat highway and its pretty nice. Can go about 150 miles on a 1/4 of a tank in the flatlands. But in these hills going to and from work, i get about 80-100 miles on 1/4 of a tank, closer to the 60-80 mark actually.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I took my BFG 33's off for the winter, they have about 40% tread left and bought some Cooper 31's. i noticed a difference on how much it uses fuel and how it has more power on the highway. it has stock gears no lockers. just my daily driver.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
About 1 mpg for me adjusted for speedo being off. I averaged 15.5 with a max just over 16 w/ 31's.

This is each tank of gas (w/ 33's) since May of last year. Avg being 14.6:

Edit: With your non-OD 3spd you will probably improve your hwy mileage w/ 33's but around town it will drop a couple mpg.

·
that's a lot of oil
776 Posts
I didn't notice a big change when I jumped to 33's. I would say maybe 1mpg. I still average around 13-14 with mixed driving.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
not a big difference. the main reason for the drop in MPG will be because your speedometer will be off. It will say you are going faster than you really are, which leads to less miles recorded than actually driven.

with the speedometer off it would show about 1-2 MPG. But actually would be no more than 1/2 MPG if it was reading accurately.
The speedo will say you are going slower than you really are. Otherwise you are correct. Not trying to be an ass, just trying to point it out for anybody that might have been/gotten confused.

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah I went through one of those stupid speed things that tell you your speed, I was doing 20 according to me spedo and the speed thingy said was doing like 25 ish..

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Going to a wider/more aggressive tread will cost you mileage, no matter how you look at it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts