Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its finally time to get some new tires. I was thinking of getting the duratracs then I went to discounttire.com and saw that the bfg km2 are only $15 more. This is very tempting but since my rig is mostly a dd now and I don't do a lot of wheeling these days is it worth getting the km2 to look cool and for when I take it off road or should I stick with all terrains to save some money and have them last longer on road? Also if you guys have suggestions on other tires I'm open to suggestions

·
Registered
313 Posts
go with the duratracs, the km2s are loud. i had the duratracs on my wrangler they were excellent, goodyear makes the best offroad tires as far as im concerned. i run the mtr now on the bronco and couldn't be happier, very glad i didn't go with the bfg after i've ridden in a few rigs with them.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
BFG A/t's. Minimum 40k if you barely rotate. You'll get 50-60k until bald. Plus, they have almost full siping down to the carcass, and I've driven up ice and snow covered steep inclined driveways in the mountains. They'll run with the best of them until you hit deep mud. Even small mud puddles (less than 2 feet) you still won't have any issues. And they are inaudible on the road, meaning you won't hear a peep out of your tires. No humming, nothing.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I love my KM2s, and they aren't any louder than my exhaust. Even then, I only notice them around 35-40mph. They're fine on the road and great off.
That said, I'd go with duratracs if you're not wheeling and cheaper than KM2s.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
Think about this- You'll get 35k (until bald) possibly with the KM2's. You'll get guaranteed 40k, if not 50 (which is very common) or 60k out of a set of BFG a/t's. There is no reason to go with mudders other than the "Cool" factor. But remember, you're paying another $1200 for a set of tires 25k miles sooner. You'll get almost double the mileage out of the A/T's.

Duratracs aren't a bad idea, a good mix between A/T and M/T, but again, if this is a very minor trail rig, at best maybe a few days a year, there are much better choices. Also, some other good AT's are mickey thompson ATZ's, and procomp xtreme A/t's are both good choices for double duty all terrains. They have more lug voids.

Also, Dick Cepek FC II's (FC 2's) have a few lug voids, and are ergonomically designed by computer for lug cleanout for mud, also nitto trail grapplers are a good mix between MT and AT also, and the last on is cooper ST's & STC's. Not STT's (they're def a mud tire) but again ST or STC. All of these tires can be checked out on offroaders.com so you can better understand the tread patterns. Personally, if it were me, BFG a/t or cooper STC. The STC has a nice looking designed sidewall lugs, making it look aggressive from the outside of the truck.

Also forgot to mention, kelly safari TSR is like the Duratrac, a good mix between MT and AT tires.

Here are some of them, there are others on the site and reviews if you click the link to the review section.

Offroaders All Terrain & Mud Tire Reviews

Kelly Safari TSR
BFG All-Terrain A/T KO
Cooper Discoverer ST-C
Dick Cepek FC-2
ProComp Xtreme All-Terrain
Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ Radial

There are a few more, but those are the big ones I'd recommend. Shoot me a message on my visitors page if you have any Q's

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the responses were kinda like I thought, more in favor of the all terrains and to be honest I was already leaning that way but misdeeds just look so badass on the rigs. Thanks for all the info smok3y I'll check out those other brands

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I find 85k on 1 set of tires hard to believe especially out of a mudder when I need new street tires on my focus about every 40k. But they are some mean looking tires

·
Bronkin' 'Round!
88 351/AOD/4” ProComp 94 351/E4OD/4” Superlift
2,911 Posts
I love the standard BFG A/T's... 50-60K+ is no issue with them I'm getting a new set for mine installed today I personally put 35K on the truck since I've had it and they were on the truck since 05...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dang that kind of miles is definitely hard to beat

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I've ran both BFG AT's and Duratracs. Only have a few weeks experience with Duratracs, and a bit of snow experience, and honestly so far I like the Duratracs better. And I'm a die hard BFG AT fan. Have had two sets so far on my Bronco.

If you want the AT performance with the MT look, go with the Duratracs. They are the same price as the BFG's, and look way meaner. Not sure about life...but I got 45k or so out of my previous set of BFG AT's with a few rotations.

Keep in mind, if you have a Discount Tire location near you, they will do pretty much whatever it takes to sell you a set of tires. They will match the lowest price you can find online + shipping. My 33" Duratracs and new wheels cost me 1200 bucks, with a 80 dollar mail in rebate, and free new lugs. Not bad at all...

·
Registered
99 Posts
i have 28K miles on a set of 35x12.50 BFG MT KM1's aand i assume the KM2's are just as good. im ashamed to say only been on trails for like 1k of those miles

1 - 14 of 14 Posts