Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Eric
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody running a 33x12.5x15 on a 7" wheel? Pictures?

Think it's a good idea to do this? Issues?

BKO's a daily driver. 50+ miles of pavement 5-6 days per week.

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
115 Posts
I believe stock wheels are 7". 33x12.5.

When I drive mine it's typically on highway 40-200 miles at a time. It drives fine. 3.55 gears.

·
Eric
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great. Thank you. :thumbup Those wheels are stock? They look like American Racing Outlaw II's.

Anyone have any 32x11.5x15 tires on 7" wheels?

This is my other option. I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of ground clearance for better fitment/tread-wear. Besides, my tires rub right now, anyways, so a size change was in the cards for my next set.

I just got a smokin' deal on a set of 5 American Eagle wheels, but, I discovered they're 15x7 and the ones on my truck, now, are 15x8.

Basically, what I'm driving at is:

Currently: 33x12.5x15 on 15x8's (work just fine with the exception of minor rubbing at full-lock)

Shooting for: 32x11.5x15 on 15x7's (should work because I'm shrinking the tire width in relation to wheel width, right?)

Or, is there some aspect to this I'm missing? I know... dumb question, but, it's been a VERY long day.

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
212 Posts
Manufacturers recommend 8"-10" wide wheels for 32x11.5-15 tires. Plenty of people ignore manufacturer recommendations on this, and for a trail rig that's probably no big deal, but IMHO it's not a great idea for a daily driver. Mounting tires on wheels narrower or wider than they're designed for places unintended stress on sidewalls, increasing chances of tire failure. Best case is you'll just reduce tire life to some degree.

Those stock wheels are 7.5" wide, BTW. :toothless

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,083 Posts
to the point above TireRack will not mount a set of tires onto wheels that do not meet the tire manufactures recommendations.

·
Eric
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Basically, though, the 32's on a 7" wheel will work, about, the same as the 33's I have, now, on the 8" wheel, correct?

Eric

·
Eric
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
K. Sounds like I'm good-to-go. I was just a little concerned about an uneven wear pattern because of all the freeway driving I do. I've been tooling around on the net and have found that, about, 90% of the people who have run 32x11.5x15 tires on 7" wheels have had little-to-no issues.

Some guys say they needed to air down a bit to get an even wear pattern, but, I don't think that'll be a big issue. Looks like I've scored myself a new set of wheels for the rebuild. Sweet.

The smaller tires should solve my radius arm rubbing, too. We'll see.

Thanks guys,
Eric

1 - 8 of 8 Posts