Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 95 bronco xlt with a stock 302. i want something with a lot more power. i was thinking of either doing a 347 stroker kit or just dropping in a efi 460. i was wondering witch one wound be easier and more cost effective? :scratchhe

·
Registered
325 Posts
definately building up a 351w, it'll cost less then the stroker, make as much power as you need, use the same mounts and bolt right up to your tranny

·
Registered
472 Posts
Personaly, I wouldn't spend the bucks to build a stroked 302 for a heavy truck when there's already a 351 CID engine available that is almost a direct swap. And bear in mind that adding 50 cubic inches to a given engine design will not in itself result in a "lot more power". For that you're going to need to address the air flow cabability of the entire engine package and then figure out how to get the most effeciency out of your new engine based on what you plan to do with the vehicle, the strength of your drive train, the RPM range you will most often be running at, what gas you have available, and your driving habits. Then there's the ever-present emissions-thing to consider.

No matter how ya slice it or dice it, the only way to determine "cost effective" is to set a realistic goal, explore your options, and then put a pencil to them all. I think that in the end though, you're going to find that no matter how you go about it, obtaining serious horse power is going to cost some serious money...AND plenty of skill.

Good luck on your project.

DGW

·
Urban Assault Bronco
1,280 Posts
460.... i am biased though. its kinda pricey but... ITS A 460 BIG BLOCK!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
My vote is for building the 351 as well. I had a 96 F250 w/a 460 before I bought my current truck, and the Bronco with the 351 seems like it runs harder than my old rig with the 460 did. The 460s are great motors too dont get me wrong, but I dont think you can go wrong with building a 351, and itll cost you less in the end and probably run harder. Of course you wont get the ego boost of saying "its got a big block" but Ive had great experiences with the 351s.

·
Registered
142 Posts
hey a 302 is a good mabey if ya try a difrent gear ratio you will get the power you want out of it is this a daily driver or a mudder or just a project vechile cause mudder i say 460 daily driver try like a 4.10 gear project i do the 347 but build it good but a 351 would be the easiest by far if u do the engine swamp

·
Registered
14 Posts
460 are sweet but they pass everything but a gas station at 8MPG If you can pay for it 460 are amazingly reliable. 460 have tons of potential to have more horsepower with all the Torque they come stock with.

·
Urban Assault Bronco
1,280 Posts
i dunno my lil underpowered 130hp 302 only averaged 8-10mpg so my 460 with rv cam, weiand stealth intake and 4 barrel carb cant get much less... i have heard a few people here with the 460 actually get better mpg then what i did with my 302! plus 350-275 hp and 450-500 pound of torque (down low torque) is pretty badass for the little bit of money i spent on the mods..

·
trying to go fast!!
1,082 Posts
347 all day! that's just me..... but a 460 hell that would be great as well who would say otherwise!

·
AKA: Butthead
2,857 Posts
BigStick, where you at? :/
I got three 351w's, one too many. :)

It won't cost you much (if anything) to slap in a stock 351w and try it out.

I vote no on the 347 (and its cost), IMO those are for Mustangs.

Alvin in AZ

·
Registered
471 Posts
460 is nice, but you'll stop at many gas stations. I'm lucky if I get 8mpg in my 460 on the highway, it's more like 4-5 mpg in town.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
So long as you are willing to build a stroker motor, Buy a junkyard 351 and stroke that to 408. lighter than a 460 and puts out good torque, Easier to install and fit headers to,and might even get better mileage-

·
Urban Assault Bronco
1,280 Posts
dollar for dollar if you had a 460 and a 351 stroker the 460 is more cost adventageous, and a better build. you are looking at $1800 for a balanced Scat 393 stroker kit. plus then you have to send the motor to a machine shop to be taked, bored, and everything else for an average of $800-$1000... thats without cam, intake, etc. so all together you would be in it for more then what i have with my 460 swap! :goodfinge

·
Registered
472 Posts
dollar for dollar if you had a 460 and a 351 stroker the 460 is more cost adventageous, and a better build. you are looking at $1800 for a balanced Scat 393 stroker kit. plus then you have to send the motor to a machine shop to be taked, bored, and everything else for an average of $800-$1000... thats without cam, intake, etc. so all together you would be in it for more then what i have with my 460 swap! :goodfinge
Ah.....a guy with a pencil. Good for you.
Now go figure what it'll take for mounts, brackets, a new tranny, convertor, flywheel, radiator, drive shaft, exhaust system, engine harness, processor, etc etc....so's he can get that big ole big block into his truck and make it run. When you you're done figuring all that, then add the cost of a full front end alignment 'cauise aint no way one can add 150+ pounds of weight on the front wheels without needing that too.....and don't forget that to keep things even, we still need to add your same $800-$1000 for machine shop services PLUS whatever a good rebuild kit cost for a 460 these days.

Of course, all that has nothing to do with the fact that EFI 460's aint exactly growing on trees these days, and to keep the truck smog compliant, a carb'd 460 won't do.

DGW

·
Urban Assault Bronco
1,280 Posts
Ah.....a guy with a pencil. Good for you.
Now go figure what it'll take for mounts, brackets, a new tranny, convertor, flywheel, radiator, drive shaft, exhaust system, engine harness, processor, etc etc....so's he can get that big ole big block into his truck and make it run. When you you're done figuring all that, then add the cost of a full front end alignment 'cauise aint no way one can add 150+ pounds of weight on the front wheels without needing that too.....and don't forget that to keep things even, we still need to add your same $800-$1000 for machine shop services PLUS whatever a good rebuild kit cost for a 460 these days.

Of course, all that has nothing to do with the fact that EFI 460's aint exactly growing on trees these days, and to keep the truck smog compliant, a carb'd 460 won't do.

DGW
ahh why don't you check out my bronco info to the left under my name first.. DER! total cost for my whole swap was around $2500.00 including dissassembly down to a short block, only because my motor had good ring seal and bearings still. but the motor cost me $200.00 (73 lincoln continental motor, craigslist), my rebuilt tranny transmission with shift kit, and 1200 stall speed convertor and flywheel another $125.00 (craigslist), headers $200.00 (summit), weiand stealth intake $200.00 (summit), edlebrock performer camshaft $149.00 (summit), FRPP gasket/seal kit $100.00 (summit), F350 engine mounts $100.00 (checkers), f350 brackets and pulleys $55.00 (junk yard), 2 24" long powdercoated stainless steel radiator hoses $50.00 for both (ebay), belts $20.00 (napa), rear sump oil pan $190.00 (LMC), oil filter relocation kit $41.00 (summit) cloyes double roller timing chain $45.00 (summit), holley 670 truck avenger $free (craigslist barter)

so before you get up on your high horse make sure you got all your facts right. the reason why the machine shop was neccissary for a stroker motor and not mine is, my motor was a low mileage motor, and machining is neccissary for stroker motors, such as clearencing the bottom of the cylinders to compensate for the rod swing with the longer stroke, boring out the motor, etc.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts