Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my 302 finally bit the dust 180,000 miles and started smokin like crazy on my way up north. I called advance and they said a reman stock 302 is $1,000 and a 347 stroker with 350 HP is $1140. That doesn't leave much to the imagination. I'm just lookin for any input. Does anybody know if this sounds like a good idea or a bad one? any info is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I say ditch the stroker idea and install a 351w... they are cheaper and will give you all the power you need :thumbup

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
it may not be cheaper. with the 302 he can just unbolt then rebolt, with the 351 he will need to replace some things. does it come with a warranty?

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it has a 15 month unlimited mileage warranty. I'm not going the 351 route because it will cost more and be more of a pain because I'll have to replace the computer and the intake assembly and I'm not sure if anything else will have to be replaced or not. But 347 with 350 hp is more horses than a stock 351 plus the 351 will cost at least an additional couple hundred because I don't have an exact core motor so I won't get my core deposit back. I also agree that the stroker will be a direct bolt in. Thanks for the input so far. Any more?

·
Yeeeeehaw Y'all!
2,038 Posts
A little story about long blocks from Advance.......

I helped a friend put in an Advance rebuilt 351 in his wifes LTD.

In fact.... we put in three.

The first had a blown head gasket. But, ok.... it was under warrenty.

On the second engine, the timing chain broke while running during the initial break in. (It only ran for about 15 minutes)

But hey! It was under warrenty!

Third time was the charm though. :thumbup

Warrenty doesn't mean $#!% when you have to eat 5 days of your own labor, gasket kits, renting an engine hoist, etc......!

For what it costs to replace an engine (because IT IS going to cost you more than just what you pay of the long block), spend your hard earned money wisely and go for quality assurance.

If you are not comfortable with your abilities to rebuild it yourself? Go with the pros. Check out what someone like Jasper Engines ( CLICK HERE ) charges for a quality long block.

(Summit and Jegs specialize more in race engines... but they definetly offer quality.)

In reality, you could end up with a problem rebuilt from anyone you buy a engine from, but the chances are a lot less from a company that specializes in engines more so than a company that buys their engines from whoever the lowest priced supplier was that week.

Just my 2 cents worth......

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
:stupid I've replaced two in the least year..(two seprate rides) one from Ford one from Jasper... one has 36 month 36,000 mile and the other is 36 month 50,000 miles...they were both around the 2k mark, but I believe in my warranties!!!:thumbup (oh yea, and thats parts and labor!) :beer

·
FSB warrior
6,118 Posts
I agree, the longer the warrenty the bigger the POS!! Take Dodge for example.....

anyways I know you were trying to justify cuz its almost the same price....... is that long block or short block prices???

Keep in mind stock heads arent gonna feed a 347 all that well unless they are E7TE's ported and polished, then id consider it.

If your looking quality CCM has 342 shorts for 1995 and longs with AFR 185 heads(2g's alone!!) for 3750

Also keep in mind, no core charge its a 342 which is stock bore(brand new) stroker.

B

·
0 Posts
"You get what you pay for" Sounds like a cheep motor and may or may not last. The rotating assembly for a 347 stroker new is $1500. I paid $1600 for a good custom short block for blowing, quality bearings, rods, pistons, rings, cam, and timing set are not cheep. I say, "go for it", if funds are low. For what you have been quoted it wouldn't be all that bad if you had to flex the warranty and if you have time to redue it.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A little more info. It is the price for the long block and the heads do have 2.02/1.60 valves and a 3 angle valve job, not sure if their ported/polished. I've also done a few motors from Advance and Auto Zone. And I've never had a problem with any of them. All the motors from Advance are done by a company called Recon and I've done 2 of their motors in the past couple years (in different vehicles)and haven't had any problems with either. Auto Zone uses a couple different companies but for the Bronco they also get the motor from Recon, same part number and everything but they charge more money. I don't know for a fact but I've been told that Recon makes better motors than Jasper and a lot more reasonably priced. As far as tools and equipment go, that's not and issue. I have my own engine hoist and stand and all the hand tools air tools and specialty tools required since I've done this several times in the last few years. Oh yeah and a heated garage! I do agree though that a warranty is good but it still sucks if you keep getting crap and have to keep pulling it out and doing it over. But like I said I've used their motors before and have had good luck. I've bought brand new water pumps before that were bad and had to take them back off and replace them again but I didn't stop going to that store because of it, it was just a bad part, it happens. If I were to have someone do the labor for me it would cost a lot more and if it had to be replaced under warranty usually only parts are covered, I would have to pay the labor AGAIN. I still need to check with Ford since I work for Ford and should get a pretty decent discount. Thanks for the input so far.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
RLKBOB said:
I'm not going the 351 route because it will cost more and be more of a pain because I'll have to replace the computer and the intake assembly and I'm not sure if anything else will have to be replaced or not.
:banghead
347 needs a new computer anway!
Do you understand how easy a 302 to 351 swap is?
Search this site PLEASE! there are many posts about that swap, I listed almsot hte entire swap in a few.

RLKBOB said:
I still need to check with Ford since I work for Ford and should get a pretty decent discount. Thanks for the input so far.
And you're asking us for advise :confused: :banghead

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why would the 347 stroker need a different computer? It's a 302 block with the same firing order. I haven't checked with Ford yet because this happened on my way up north for deer hunting and I called Advance and Auto Zone while I was sitting at the Mackinaw Bridge waiting for a ride (I have their numbers programmed in my phone). I just got back last night so I posted this as soon as I got back. I'll read up on the 351 swap but still 350 HP is way more than you get with a stock 351 isn't it?:shrug

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After doing a bunch of research online today I don't think I'm going with a 347 stroker. It seems the piston pin hole goes right thru the oil ring groove causing them to be oil hogs on every day drivers. I guess I'll check with Ford this week and see what I can find.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
RLKBOB said:
Why would the 347 stroker need a different computer? It's a 302 block with the same firing order.
RLKBOB said:
350 HP is way more than you get with a stock 351 isn't it?:shrug
That is why you need a new computer, do you think all your computer does is control your firing order??:duh Oh and I hope you didn't honestly think a 347 stroker was gonna give you 350hp....:twak Not trying to be a dick, but Ryan has forgotten more than most of us will ever know about a Ford computer, if he says ya need it, I believe him.

P.S. With you working at Ford, you need to be all over any kinda deal you can get there. There remans are 36/36 and cover parts AND labour...:thumbup

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Actually firing order is not in the truck computers. They open the injectors in groups of 4, so 302 vs 351 computer is exactly the same with spark controls.

Fuel controls are 49cubes different. The 347 is only 4 smaller than a 351. So a 351 computer fuel controls would work very well on a 347 stroker, and be your cheapest option.

The next comptuer option is the MAF mustang with programable chip. Price starts at $750+ just to get the fuel injection back to norm.

trust me find the 351 swap info and you'll be plenty happy :beer

·
The Anti Yam!
22,681 Posts
RLKBOB said:
Why would the 347 stroker need a different computer? It's a 302 block with the same firing order.
Read this intire site.
http://fordfuelinjection.com
then read it again.

Then realize that Firguy50 wrote the site, and that he is absolutly right.

Then read the site again

:toothless

·
OMG IT RUNS
528 Posts
RLKBOB said:
After doing a bunch of research online today I don't think I'm going with a 347 stroker. It seems the piston pin hole goes right thru the oil ring groove causing them to be oil hogs on every day drivers. I guess I'll check with Ford this week and see what I can find.
Just for future reference if you ever want to build a 347 for a car, most reputable companies that make stroker kits have cured this problem. I know Coast High Performance has.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I started reading up on the FI website today. Not that it matters since I've ruled out the 347; but wouldn't the stock computer compensate for the added displacement by seeing the lean fuel /air mix via the O2 sensor and just tell the injectors to pump in more fuel? Just wondering. By the way I'm thinking seriously about a 351 swap now, just gotta see what Ford has to offer.

·
gone fish'n
23,564 Posts
ford only programs in so much of a change. go past that and it will not compensate enough thus causing a lean condition all the time

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
RLKBOB said:
I started reading up on the FI website today. Not that it matters since I've ruled out the 347; but wouldn't the stock computer compensate for the added displacement by seeing the lean fuel /air mix via the O2 sensor and just tell the injectors to pump in more fuel? Just wondering. By the way I'm thinking seriously about a 351 swap now, just gotta see what Ford has to offer.
Read this page: http://fordfuelinjection.com/strategies.html
The O2 sensors are only used for highway driving. Shorst answer is it won't work, long answer is on that site above

1 - 20 of 20 Posts