Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it is said that I will rub with 35" tires and no lift. It did on my '79, and might on my '88. My '88 has 33" 12.5 now and is ok. So I am going to put 35's on, whether or not others agree with me. :) I survived the rubbing on the '79.

The reason I am not going with a lift is I do lots of trails and want to keep the truck itself as low as possible. Also my answer to most obstacles is just more speed. For clearance I am very likely going to remove my front bumper and replace with square steel or tube.

For my 35's I am thinking 14.5, but maybe only 12.5's. I was going to get new aluminum rims to help reduce the weight of the tire/rim. Thinking of going to a bigger rim diameter as well for the same reason. And would probably reduce the backspacing to help move the tire out and prevent some rubbing. So there is my thoughts, here are my questions:

1.) I assume reducing the weight will help prevent axle carnage. But by reducing the back spacing will I be adding to the possiblity of it. I am thinking by moving the wieght further out from the lugs, it is going to add a lot of stress.

2.) How will a larger rim dia effect the tires performance in mud, trails? I assume the road ride will be harsher or is it less noticable because there is still lots of sidewall?

3.) Will the 14" wide tires just be too heavy for the stock axles?

4.) Am I just asking for too much trouble with stock axles and 35's? The 33's are not cutting it, abd if i got to replace everything to put 35's on, I might as well go all in, which i dont want ot do right now.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
1. aluminum or steel, the only real way to save alot of weight it too go forged. as far as moving the wheels out, dont go with a 12 wide rim and you should be okay.

2. with out a wheel size in mind its hard to say. I run/ran 17's on a 35 and id didnt feel bad, i now run a 37" on a 17 and im much more happy. my brother runs 35's on a 20" rim and its rough.

3. its not the weight thats gonna snap those axles, its ramming shit with speed and hoping that you make it over that will be your worst enemy. I ran 35x14.50R16 boggers on my 89' with steel wheels for years with out any issues, but i was carefull and i knew that at any time they would snap!

4. most will say that 33's is the max, i disagree. I think that you can get away with 35's if your carefull. If you have lockers, i can assure you that you will snap parts. Lot'sa guys here grenade their TTB 44's and 8.8s shortly after getting locked up.

let me also notate that the 88 has smaller fender openings than your 79'. You are going to have to trim up the front bumper, the back of the front fender openings, and hope that suffing the 35's in the rear will not destroy your tires. If my 37's with allmost 7" of lift are close, your 35's are gonna get cut up! here is a pick of my 37x12.50R17's, they can also still stuff quite a bit more.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
It all depends on how much you are willing to trim.

This is 35x12.5x18's on 18x9.5's, no lift, and fender trimming. The wheels are a 2.5" backspace.
The more backspace the better as one of the areas you will rub is the radius arms. Expect EXTRA trimming on the front bumper due to the extra backspace.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies. I was looking at my back wheel well openings with my 33's and thinking there was still lots of room in there still. Maybe I will have to do some testing to see how far they travel into the opening. I am not totally against trimmimg, and would be all over the idea if I had some rust to encourage me.

As for the front bumper, I totally agree. I was originally going to trim it and then powder coat it. But I have since seen a a single square tube bumper that I was all right with. So I might go that route.

Could be a real cross roads with the truck. I have already replaced the rear axle once, due to PO and water. I have one spare rear end. After that it might be go big or stay at home.

·
B350 built at THE SHOP
2,144 Posts
remember that with less back spacing and a 14" wide tire you may rub on the body because your gonna be wider and may stick out past the fenders. My tires stick out past my fenders but it is mainly due to the wider 1ton axles... You will definately have to trim for 35's. Less back spacing will definately cause a problem in the front but if you're willing to ditch the factory bumper and maybe do a little trimming you should be ok...

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Jsample, my 35s rubbed the rear of front fender on my 84, even more so with the wheels I changed to. Radius arm rub was present aswell. Like the previous poster said it all depends on your offset of the wheel, I'm unsure what mine are now....

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have 35" on mine with a lift. Not real sure how much lift. Anyway the front brake lines rubbed and I losely zip tied them to the shocks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts