Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the 5.8 in the bronco has been mysteriously misplacing antifreeze. It has also lost two quarts of oil since the last change, 1500 miles ago. Milage also went down from 10 with my foot in it, to 7 with a lighter foot.

I decided to tear it apart and look for any blow by in the head gaskets. I havent gotten the pass side head off yet and i havent really inspected the head for cracks yet. My back hurts like an old man from working on it with 37's. I did however find something good about my engine that i was really stoked about.

1. real clean lifter valley and
2. That nifty little spider in the valley.
3. i dont have to bore the cylinders

now i gotta do some research and figure out what i wanna do to the engine!

·
AKA Joe
1,109 Posts
How do you know you don't have to bore the cylinders? You havn't taken both heads off and I doubt you checked the clearence in the pistons yet.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
more or less i meant there wasnt any major scarring in the one bank.

it is still in my 94

·
Addicted to Junk
13,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got bck to work on the bronco today. I pulled the pass side head off and found one of the small screws that holds the Throttle cable dust cover on lodged in the #1 intake valve, keeping it open. no wonder my milage droped from 10 to 7. guess im lucky it didnt make its way into the cylinder and F things up even more.

i pulled the block out and found the pass side motor mount broken. i only checked the #2 main bearing cap and the bearing was worn but no major crank damage. I removed the #2 rod cap and found a spun bearing. Yay!

Thats where i am at now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Keep diggin'

I've got a 1995 with 232,000 mi and still running strong thanks to frequent oil changes,switching to synthetic oil and more frequent air filter changes.

On the other hand I realize the day is coming that I'm gonna have to tear it down. Being my daily driver it is a must that the Bronco stay reliable. I have been told there isn't much you can do to improve performance on the 94-96 threefittyones but there is somethings worth adjusting. What I have been told is "it is all about air and fuel coming in and exhaust coming out". With that said, larger exhaust, more efficent distributor and spark, K&N air filter, Ford Racing pulleys and new 19lb injectors for starters and a cam. Anybody else have any comment? Good luck, Dikthod

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
intake many! why a new dizzy? why not just a coil and some good wires? if your doing a cam... a roller cam, some new lifters,springs and some nice roller rockers should be a good addition. not sure of the pulleys on a dd... i could be wrong, but never heard allot of good coming from them... .... for a daily d.

·
Registered
71 Posts
New dizzy?? Well because MSD makes good stuff and I already bought it. MSD Coil, MSD wires, MSD plug-n-play dist. Still pondering about the plugs though?? Some say stay stock Autolite. Some say Bosch Platnum II, however some say the Bosch don't last for shit. Hmmnnn...

I am under the impression that the 94-95 351's came with rollers, wadda you know about that? Did yours? My opinion is if I do a new cam i'll do the whole thing, cam, r-lifters, PR's, Rocker arms and of course some skookum heads, GT-40's maybe.

What more do you know about the racing pulley's? I've just heard they are not good if you're pulling a trailer.

Thanks ol'buddy,

-Dikthod

·
Addicted to Junk
13,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New dizzy?? Well because MSD makes good stuff and I already bought it. MSD Coil, MSD wires, MSD plug-n-play dist. Still pondering about the plugs though?? Some say stay stock Autolite. Some say Bosch Platnum II, however some say the Bosch don't last for shit. Hmmnnn...

I am under the impression that the 94-95 351's came with rollers, wadda you know about that? Did yours? My opinion is if I do a new cam i'll do the whole thing, cam, r-lifters, PR's, Rocker arms and of course some skookum heads, GT-40's maybe.

-Dikthod
go with the auto lite copper core's.
hence the pic in my first post. the "spider" in the lifter valley shows that i have a roller cam and lifters. i didnt mean to be a dick right there, sorry. i believe all 94's came at least roller ready.

i am looking at cams, lifters and rockers
i want some new heads- found some on summit, "patriot performance" brand. they are under 900 a pair assembled.
i want a new upper intake as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Didn't think you were a dick about it, no worries there.

I think I'm going to consider a 60MM BBk throttle body. Another fella e-mailed me about his experience and after the sticker shock ($400 bucks) he said it was worth it. I'll probably stay with the stock intake(s) but better stock heads, GT-40's maybe. I want to keep from f'ing with the computer stuff as much as possible. Definately do the cam on up as I said before. K&N AF and Gibson SS Headers and Gibson exhaust system past the cat convert. My local muffler shop recommended getting rid of the 2 factory cats and going with a larger single cat. This guy races for fun so I think he knows what he is doing.

Tally ho!

-Dikthod

·
Addicted to Junk
13,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
from what i have read about on here, the upper intake is the restricting point on the 5.8. thats why i am planning on upgrading

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts

What more do you know about the racing pulley's? I've just heard they are not good if you're pulling a trailer.

Thanks ol'buddy,

-Dikthod

i only know what i've read, i'm planning the build of my 96 5.8 but i do know to stick with the autolites, just change them every 30. i've heard of the pulleys effecting the alternator and charging system.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
from what i have read about on here, the upper intake is the restricting point on the 5.8. thats why i am planning on upgrading
lol, i have a edelbrock 5.8 intake sitting in my kitchen waiting to be installed

·
Addicted to Junk
13,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i only know what i've read, i'm planning the build of my 96 5.8 but i do know to stick with the autolites, just change them every 30. i've heard of the pulleys effecting the alternator and charging system.
x2 on the pulleys

lol, i have a edelbrock 5.8 intake sitting in my kitchen waiting to be installed
very nice!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Pulleys.....

I have underdrive pulleys in my 94', and with the stock alt. it would discharge. I recently upgraded to the 160amp alt. from fireguy, and even with the high power stereo, headlights, heater, rear defrost on, it stays at 14 volts.

Not sure how much performance the pulleys add.

Also, I agree about the single high-flow cat being beneficial. I recently did the swap, and the performance (and sound) are improved (slightly). I already have the K&N FIPK gen 1.

Is there a way to know if my 94' has the roller block? I would like to do a similar buildup as BigBlue, but am not sure when in 94' they started using the roller block.

Scott

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,200 Posts
Is there a way to know if my 94' has the roller block? I would like to do a similar buildup as BigBlue, but am not sure when in 94' they started using the roller block.

Scott
You'll need to look at your block right by the starter and near the exhaust manifold. The casting numbers should be F4TE and thats a roller block

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey Sackman, nice Bronc you got there. I got a 95' the same color(s). Bought it off a guy that had it for a year and put 3K on it. Apparently it wasn't worth a shit pulling a travel trailer so he got an F-250. The dude picked it up from a chick that put 106k on it and always had it serviced by the dealer. We haggled over the phone and I told him if it is as clean as he claims I'll bring him a check for 9 grand. I also brought along my creeper. Took a roll around underneath and handed him the check, didn't even test drive it. Now it has 232k miles on it and the only repair has been a fuel pump. The rest has been upgrades, maintenance and replacing items before they fail me somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Good luck wit yours.
-dikthod

1 - 20 of 77 Posts