Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased an 85 Bronco that used to have a 302 in it but two owners ago he swapped in the 351. I have no way to contact that owner and the owner I bought from has no info on the engine other than it is a 351. How do I find out what year 351 this is and how do I find out if it is a Windsor or Cleveland? Aren't the Windsor's the better of the 351's? I searched for 351 and 351 year but had no luck with my search. Ben

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Blue85 said:
I just purchased an 85 Bronco that used to have a 302 in it but two owners ago he swapped in the 351. I have no way to contact that owner and the owner I bought from has no info on the engine other than it is a 351. How do I find out what year 351 this is and how do I find out if it is a Windsor or Cleveland? Aren't the Windsor's the better of the 351's? I searched for 351 and 351 year but had no luck with my search. Ben
If your sure its a 351 its probably a Windsor. The clevlands heads will be somewhat taller than the Windsors but if im not mistaken the clevland heads will not bolt up to a Windsor deck.The windsor belongs to the 90'degree V8 family. Im pretty sure they are only compatable with the "335" series engine which includes the 351M, 400M, 351BOSS, blocks. Ask steve83 to be certain. Does it have a C-6 transmission? Check the shape of your transmission pan against an I.D chart.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a picture. Any tell tale signs you can see?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Definitely NOT a modified or Cleveland. You can tell by the valve covers, the water outlet location, etc.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cool guys thanks. so when ordering parts for it will I need to know what year 351 or should I be able to just ask for parts for an 85 with a 351?

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Yeah, more than likely it's not one of the ones old enough to make a diff, just tell them 85/351. Even if it was I don't think it would affect that much.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey you guys rock, thanks for the help. now I just need the paychecks to roll in so I can start messing around with this thing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So is a 351 a 5.8

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.