Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive not gotten help in the general tech in some time..Ive brought this to the general section so a few more eyes hit it...
351w swap inot a 91 bronoc origionally 302...;
351w bored .030 over, fully rebuilt, comp cams 35-255-5 cam and new springs locks and retainers
351w computer, 351w harness, 302 TB valve covers and crank pulley and alternator(thats all i swapped) Saginaw pump upgrade too!

the motor is in, found compression on #1 w/ my finger and dropped the dizzy w/ rotor @ #1. Hooked everything up and tried to fire it... Wouldnt start, it sputters like it wants to but just wont fire and run...i stuck a screwdriver in the furl rail and gas came running out, didnt spray though...called comp cams they said new cam is 351w firing order, and yes the timing marks on the gear are lined up...
couldnt get it started dropped the dizzy like 10 times wouldnt start... And for some reason i tried 302 FO...And it started right up...first crank ...it revs ok but if you put it in drive it has absolutley no power under load

there is currently no o2 sensor due to lack of exhasut... Can someone help me get this thing to run 351w order...i dont get it...i pulled the valve covers and cranked the motor over by hand, the valves opened 351 order...but it wont start that way...

any help is appreciated...what do you think about fuel pressure, there is a slight crimp in the metal line just after the FPR...think thats the problem???like i said i tried cranking it and fuel just oozed out of the schrader valve.,..should it spray?????????timing is at 10* w/out spout

dc

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just a thought but is the distirbutor from the 351 or form the 302? The distributors are different sizes. Could explain why the firing order is different. I am not real knowledgable when it comes to the electronic stuff just throwing ideas out. Could explain why the firing order is different. Also are you one hundred percent sure that the cam is a 351? 351 and 302 cams will interchange but you need to use the firing order for the particular cam. I know that they told you but hey remeber those guys are human and mistakes could be made. I know you said you confired the order but I am just throwing that out there too.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,830 Posts
the fuel should squirt out so there could very well be your issue. also not having the o2 sensor hooked up doesnt help either but wouldnt keep it from starting i would think. i would replace the line thats got the kink

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
-the distributor is the one for the 351...tfi problems???
-i just pulled fuel pressure...i have the 38psi on the rail...fuel isnt the problem there...
-i pulled the intake and valve covers off and rotated the motor by hand...the intake valves opened 4-8-1-3-... thats the end and beginning of the 351 firing order
-i let it run on 302 order and set timing to 10*...still wont start in 351 order...i just dont get it...unless somehow i counted the vlaves wrong..i dont think so...im ready to just pull the cam out and compare grind #'s...but thats alot of work...its cold

i have grounds hooked up at the coil, block and upper intake..dont think im missing anything there,, using the 351 harness and computer

on the 91 302 there was a sensor into the upper intake all the way in the back of the motor dead center that i dont believe was on the 351w(89')...what is this???????????
i just dont see why it wont start

dc

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Big Blue 89 said:
Just a thought but is the distirbutor from the 351 or form the 302? The distributors are different sizes.
You can't put a 302 dizzy in a 351. The dizzy's are the same size, they are identical except for the oil pump driveshaft hole in the bottom of the shaft.

The sensor you're talking about is the knock sensor, no the 351 doesn't have one.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so any other ideas???

tommorow i think im gonna pull the intake...again:banghead and check each injector to see if it fires...should fire once when i turn the key to on right...or do i have to crank it??

could the dizzy be 180 out?

I DONT KNOW!!!!!!!!!!:shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

im just blindly guessing now

dc:cry

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
DcSkater602 said:
could the dizzy be 180 out?

I DONT KNOW!!!!!!!!!!:shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

im just blindly guessing now

dc:cry

what the hell do you mean you don't know? :twak

That's one of the things we already said to make sure isn't the problem. Did you pull the dizzy again and get #1 to TDC on compression stroke? When you did it did you get it all the way up to TDC with the timing mark lined up with TDC on the balancer or did you just stop as soon as you felt pressure from the spark plug hole? I hope you took the crank the rest of the way to TDC as soon as you felt the pressure from the spark plug hole. Where is the rotor pointing when you have it at #1? Should be towards the back of the engine. And you're using 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 for the 351 firing order right? and going CCW from #1 around the dist cap, right? No I don't think you're stupid asking these questions. I just want to make sure you're not overlooking something obvious, it's easy to do.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RLKBOB said:
and going CCW from #1 around the dist cap, right? QUOTE]

:shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked

slap me silly im a mother F^%#$%*($ rertard...i had the wires on going clockwise

OMFG BOB THANK YOU

im an idiot feel free to give me this face:twak :twak :twak

dc:whiteflag

btw it started right up and i just did a huge burnout:rockon

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Tell me you're kidding.

If not then I'm glad you got it taken care of.

Oh, and :twak :twak :twak :twak :twak :twak :twak :twak :twak :twak :twak :twak :twak :twak :twak :twak :twak :twak :twak :twak

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
:twak :twak :twak :twak :twak :twak :twak :twak :twak :twak

You are an idiot.

You are an idiot.

You are an idiot.

You are an idiot.