Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I made the mistake of going to Advanced Auto to pick up a new motor for my 83. I did not notice a problem until I turned the motor over to attach the oil pump and there they were. Scratches on the exposed parts of the pistons. I started to look closer and a connecting rod had been heated and looked really stressed and there was a spot in the cylinder wall were they machined into the water jacket; then just welded it back over. This motor was a really bad disappointment. So on my hunt for a new powerplant I found a guy selling a 351W that he says came out of a police interceptor. Did they really make such a beast? If so I think it is a really good find. Let me know what you guys think. oh and RECON MOTORS SUCK!!!!!

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
yea they made these motors. I am not sure of the output though, there is a guy trying to sell am 80's crown vic on ebay with one, he wanted almost a thousand bucks and the car itself was crap

·
Building gold from crap
2,253 Posts
you can buy a good short block for cheap money that has been professionally rebuilt
there is this place close to me that i have talked to many times, on differerent ideas i have had, they are very knlowledgable, and very nice to talk to, very prompt email returns and such, and they are only about 1 hour or so from me

http://www.golensengineservice.com/

·
Registered
1,225 Posts

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Yes, they made them. Not sure if there is really any difference in heads, horsepower, etc. What I do know is that these motors came with heavy duty cooling system, engine oil cooling system (my motor has this), and likely heavy duty electrical system.

·
Registered
63 Posts
F1rocco said:
Yeah they made them,I believe since the early 60's for certain police models.I believe its the heads that make it a interceptor.Higher compression,roller rockers etc.Pull the valve cover and check the numbers against the other parts on the interceptor.Should be like a d or e with a number after it.1987 would be d8 a 1978 c8.

http://www.wrljet.com/engines/idtag.html

http://www.gearheadracing.com/Reference/Ford/CastingNumbers/FordCastingNumbers.htm :

:uke:
First 351W was used in a 68 torino, very few of them at that. Only difference in P.I motor is as was said earlier, the external oil cooler, fatter higher flow water pump, valves were the same as was used on the 69 4 barrel motor. I have been lead to believe that no matter what year the P.I. motor is it will have C9OE heads, flat top pistons and sodium filled valves. Standard passenger engines had dished pistons,solid (non filled). I have had two such engines, one from a 1971 state police car, the other from a 1977 police car, both were as described.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help everyone. I ended up picking up a used 351W EFI that the guy says came out of a van with 60K on it. The motor looks clean and I saved myself a butt load. I just need to run over to Summit and pick up some gaskets, water pump, oil pump and a new 2B carb. Motorcraft really bogs it down. Then I should be on the road again. I hope everyone has a happy holiday season.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts